Unner twennies twenny twenny two

Moderator: OptimisticJock

no sleep

Re: Unner twennies twenny twenny two

Post by no sleep »

That's harsh. He had no time to adjust his body position.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Well that's just brilliant. We have a man advantage, I hope we have the brains to realise how to exploit a missing winger, because if they can pull that off, they're just a really good team. Looks like Townsend knows what to do, but there has to be no complacency.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

We need to sort out tackling and discipline.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

No, no, no. Should have taken the points.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

We need a good half-time talk.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

we need a coach. And a forwards coach. And an attack coach. And a defensive coach
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

And a ref that knows at least the basics of a scrum
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Btw, I never played with a female ref: what do you call her?
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

No! Take the points!
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Telt ye. (Still on a couple minutes' delay)
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Good work by the pack, going to give a bit of morale
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

no sleep wrote:And a ref that knows at least the basics of a scrum
warning then 3 times to no push until ball in, after ignoring it 3 times, the awarding a pen against us for getting pushed backwards at a rate o knots while the ball is still in the 9's hands is quite a decision. Is she Irish?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Got thrashed by Wales in the first game of this made up summer tournament. I don't share the anger of the TOL posters (or the simplistic idea that all we need to do is go back to clubs and districts), but it is getting concerning. The super six was intended to address this issue and is just getting bedded in but we need some better results over the next couple of years.
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:Got thrashed by Wales in the first game of this made up summer tournament. I don't share the anger of the TOL posters (or the simplistic idea that all we need to do is go back to clubs and districts), but it is getting concerning. The super six was intended to address this issue and is just getting bedded in but we need some better results over the next couple of years.
certain TOL posters are certifiable. I wait for one of them to tell me when our U20s were dominant. At least these days we mostly look as physically developed. As you say S6 is bedding in. Had one proper season maybe so far. And still developing. A couple of issues are the % of non SQ players, and the number of U20s (and other just ex U20s) being selected.
The first has been tightened, but those TOL posters (who keep wanting more handouts for club rugby) seem to forget that clubs right through the old leagues were stuffed by non SQ players who were being paid - to play at lower levels including the old premiership.
The second is really only an issue in a couple of teams - determined to win rather than develop. I get that but a better balance needs to be struck. Watsonians seem to be the worst.

Last night was very very poor. Scotland dominated possession, had to make only about half as many tackles so pack acceptable. Backs just awful. Redpath and Townsend especially. TBH I just cannot see why Redpath keeps getting selected, every time I see him I see the same failures, especially his basic pass. I have seen Townsend play some good games but he has gone backward this season. Munn is another who high hopes were held, now looks a liability
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Still septic wrote:
Cameo wrote:Got thrashed by Wales in the first game of this made up summer tournament. I don't share the anger of the TOL posters (or the simplistic idea that all we need to do is go back to clubs and districts), but it is getting concerning. The super six was intended to address this issue and is just getting bedded in but we need some better results over the next couple of years.
certain TOL posters are certifiable. I wait for one of them to tell me when our U20s were dominant. At least these days we mostly look as physically developed. As you say S6 is bedding in. Had one proper season maybe so far. And still developing. A couple of issues are the % of non SQ players, and the number of U20s (and other just ex U20s) being selected.
The first has been tightened, but those TOL posters (who keep wanting more handouts for club rugby) seem to forget that clubs right through the old leagues were stuffed by non SQ players who were being paid - to play at lower levels including the old premiership.
The second is really only an issue in a couple of teams - determined to win rather than develop. I get that but a better balance needs to be struck. Watsonians seem to be the worst.

Last night was very very poor. Scotland dominated possession, had to make only about half as many tackles so pack acceptable. Backs just awful. Redpath and Townsend especially. TBH I just cannot see why Redpath keeps getting selected, every time I see him I see the same failures, especially his basic pass. I have seen Townsend play some good games but he has gone backward this season. Munn is another who high hopes were held, now looks a liability
Yeah Munn was being raved about last year so pity to hear he has regressed. Hopefully just a stumble.

On the u20s being selected for Super 6 teams. It's a tricky one to solve as it is also key that the level is high enough to make it valuable for those that do get selected. It sounded like the situation was a bit better in this Sprint series that just ended, but still needs worked on. One thought I had (which may already happen) is that u19s (say) should be allowed on top of your usual squad. The idea being that if 18 and 19 year old players pick up bits of gametime when others are injured etc. they will be more ready to play starting roles by the time they are 20. It might also encourage coaches to look at youngsters they might not have considered otherwise. Wouldn't want it to lead to too many just sitting on subs benches though if they would otherwise be playing national league.

Agreed, though, the level of rose tinted spectacles on show is spectacular.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Lost 55-17 to Georgia after a hammering by Italy too. This is getting really worrying!
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Yes; my heart sank a bit when Kenny Murray said it's because we're not big enough. To be fair he mentioned other things, but it seems we're hanging on by the skin of our project players and Scottish grannies.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

He's not wrong though. I don't want us to just focus on size but unless you are physical enough, you don't get to show your other talents.

The pandemic may have hurt our players more than most as they don't come through as organised pathways. The S6 is also still bedding in (though I wonder whether they need to enforce a minimum of say 5 u20s in every match day squad).
Still septic

Post by Still septic »

Cameo wrote:He's not wrong though. I don't want us to just focus on size but unless you are physical enough, you don't get to show your other talents.

The pandemic may have hurt our players more than most as they don't come through as organised pathways. The S6 is also still bedding in (though I wonder whether they need to enforce a minimum of say 5 u20s in every match day squad).
fair points

I think there are quite a few issues to be addressed
a decade and more back, we were being smashed physically virtually every year. Then we progressed to being able to field decent front 5s - still not match winning or even set piece shattering, but definitely made us much more competitive. But tackling by the backs always poor. Still we were more competitive than these days, indeed the last few years, even pre covid. We were relegated from tier 1, partly down to the player crop but more because of a series of poor coaching appointments, then rubbish interim coaches. Scott Johnson legacy.
Then I think there was a bland assumption we would easily bounce back to tier 1. Covid stopped any attempt but it is clear we wouldn't and won't without radical overhaul.
Unless the current DOR understands how we got here he can't fix it. I think the role Kenny Murray has suggests they get it, but whether he is the man to sort it another matter.

Simply statistically we have fewer players to pick from thus fewer big guys come through. So we need to ensure we train coach and develop physically. We have managed this previously. S6 has a couple of issues. I'd like the S6 season better aligned with URC. I agree with you about how many U20s in match day squads - not sure what the situation is but I do know that the winners of the S6 sprint fielded the oldest average side, by far, and used most pro club players. I'd couple that with the pathway in the east. Partly Cockerill but fewer seem to be coming through from an are with I suspect the largest number of players at top school rugby level. It ain't delivering as it should
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

On the way back from the game. Went expecting us to get thumped and looked it was going to be that way for most of the first half. But they showed huge resolve to come back and lead at one point before just running out of steam in the last few minutes.

Liked the look of our 12. He ran hard and often got over the gain line.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:34 pm On the way back from the game. Went expecting us to get thumped and looked it was going to be that way for most of the first half. But they showed huge resolve to come back and lead at one point before just running out of steam in the last few minutes.

Liked the look of our 12. He ran hard and often got over the gain line.
amazing game

Didn't know what to expect but not exactly brim full of confidence. And suddenly it looked like a massacre. but what a come back, very like the 36-36, shame to lose it at the end after getting from 31-10 down to 31-36 ahead

Yule was good, so were a few others, better when they fill out a bit

And keep an eye out fpr Simpson. he is going to be the real deal
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Under 20s are playing at Scotstoun tomorrow night, does anyone know if tickets will be available at the gate, or if not where might I get some?
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Donny osmond wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:35 pm Under 20s are playing at Scotstoun tomorrow night, does anyone know if tickets will be available at the gate, or if not where might I get some?
They are available on the SRU ticket website.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Really important win for the u20s too. Sounds like they are competitive at least this year.
Puja

Post by Puja »

no sleep wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:25 pm Btw, I never played with a female ref: what do you call her?
I've played with one a few times - she's probably the best one we have at our level, tbh. She always says, "You can call me ref, but I don't mind if you call me sir." She did raise an eyebrow when one of our young idiots addressed her as "love", but didn't take anything further given the entire team turned and went, "Rob, SHUT UP!"

Puja
Backist Monk