Mental Health

Which Tyler

Mental Health

Post by Which Tyler »

#IveBeenThere #YouAreNotAlone #ItsOkayNotToBeOkay
Important for rugby, in a world of increasing awareness of CTE, and a sequela of concussion.
Particularly important after the last 2 years, and a pandemic in its own right!

This year's theme is loneliness – the impact it can have on our mental health and how we can all play a part in reducing loneliness in our communities.
Please remember to check in on your family, friends, neighbours and colleagues - ask them how they are, pop round for a coffee, go for a walk and let them know they matter.
http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaign ... eness-week
Which Tyler

Re: Mental Health

Post by Which Tyler »

Just for this week, I'll post in here every day, raising awareness is kinda the point.
If anyone just wants to talk, there's the Samaritans on 116123

Or if you want to talk to someone you kinda-but-not-really know; you can PM me.

Last edited by Which Tyler on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja

Post by Puja »

Got nothing to add especially, just wanted to cheer you on, as one of the 1 in 4.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:Got nothing to add especially, just wanted to cheer you on, as one of the 1 in 4.

Puja
I've nothing more to say really - the Samaritans number is up there, and my offer for anyone to send me a PM if they're struggling is genuine.

Beyond that, if all I do is shove the thread title under a couple of dozen pairs of eyes each day for a week, then that in itself will raise a little awareness, and the chances are, something like 6 of that "couple of dozen" will be / have been affected, and may just feel a little less alone.

#IveBeenThere
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I don’t want to hijack this thread or anything but seems sort of relevant to this and to rugby fans in general.

Keith Earls (a player I have criticised endlessly on here for years) recently did a live podcast with Blindboy Boatclub (worth checking out if you have even a vague interest in mental health struggles) opening up about living with depression and anxiety. He’s not exactly a big talker, but it’s a good listen and a fascinating perspective from someone who is obviously incredibly driven and successful.

Just seemed like this might be quite a relatable way for some on here to hear about these experiences, when it’s tied in with the pressure of the Lions, 6 nations, Heineken cup etc. It certainly changed my feelings about the guy.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Last edited by Which Tyler on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote:I don’t want to hijack this thread or anything but seems sort of relevant to this and to rugby fans in general.

Keith Earls (a player I have criticised endlessly on here for years) recently did a live podcast with Blindboy Boatclub (worth checking out if you have even a vague interest in mental health struggles) opening up about living with depression and anxiety. He’s not exactly a big talker, but it’s a good listen and a fascinating perspective from someone who is obviously incredibly driven and successful.

Just seemed like this might be quite a relatable way for some on here to hear about these experiences, when it’s tied in with the pressure of the Lions, 6 nations, Heineken cup etc. It certainly changed my feelings about the guy.
Not a hijack at all; this thread is for mental health, not just my posts on awareness week.

A lot of players suffer with their mental health 1 in 4 after all; and especially when off injured for longer periods of time, worry about it ending their career, isolation as they do their rehab and can't train, frustration that they can't get out on the pitch... When fit and firing, performance anxiety, worries about a short career on top of the normal causes and triggers.
TBH, I'd expect the prevalence of mental health problems in professional sportspeople to be above the average.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Last edited by Which Tyler on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

It's #WorldMentalHealthDay today.

It's okay to not be okay.
It's okay to do the best you can today; even if it doesn't "seem" like much.

It's okay to talk.
It's okay to cry.
It's okay to just want companionable silence.

It's okay to lean on your support network.