RWC USA 2031 and 2033

Moderator: Puja

Puja

RWC USA 2031 and 2033

Post by Puja »

https://usabid.rugby/news/united-states ... -world-cup

USA confirmed as the hosts, with 9 years to really kick the game into high gear. The IRB sound as though they plan to get heavily involved with that, which is comforting given USAR's previous history with being unable to organise a piss-up in a brewery
USA Rugby and World Rugby will now lead a multi-year effort to build anticipation for 2031 and 2033, while developing infrastructure to guarantee successful tournaments. Additionally, USA Rugby will use the next decade to drive significant investment in the game at the youth level, increase access to and diversity in rugby, take rugby to the next level at the high school and college levels, and grow USA Rugby membership to 450,000 members by the beginning of the 2031 Men’s Rugby World Cup.
It does need a major kick-start - MLR's been great for rugby fans, but sides are still averaging 2-3k crowds, which is disappointing given it's now in its fifth season. I know COVID has affected everything, but I had hoped for a greater cut-through to the general populace by now and crowds more in the 5k sort of area. I don't know whether it's a lack of marketing or outreach or what, but if Toronto Wolfpack could get 9,000 people to games, then LA and New Orleans should be able to as well and it's disappointing that they're not close to that. Wolfpack were sneered at for throwing discounted and free tickets at people, but fans did turn up for them and, at this stage, rugby needs the exposure and the cachet of decent sized crowds more than it needs money from high ticket prices and empty stadia on television.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Re: RWC USA 2031 and 2033

Post by Mellsblue »

Looks like it will be moved in to the summer so as not to clash with the NFL season but plans to use NFL stadia and link nations with NFL franchises.
There seems to be a couple of plans for logistics:
1) have host cities for each group and knock out round, with finals in NY.
2) group stages in the SW, knockout stages in the NW & central and the finals in NY.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Looks like it will be moved in to the summer so as not to clash with the NFL season but plans to use NFL stadia and link nations with NFL franchises.
2) group stages in the SW, knockout stages in the NW & central and the finals in NY.
That's a promising plan on moving it to the summer. I was worried that the IRB was going to be proud and insist that it stick to the autumn. Do you have a source on that?

Wonder why New York for the finals? I guess it's a cosmopolitan city, even if it's likely to actually be in MetLife in New Jersey, and the timezones are better for Europe, but it's a bit of a gamble that New Yorkers will be even slightly interested. Chicago might not have an MLR team yet, but they have got form for filling Soldier Field for a big rugby match. Or LA would be good if SoFi was available.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Looks like it will be moved in to the summer so as not to clash with the NFL season but plans to use NFL stadia and link nations with NFL franchises.
That's a promising plan on moving it to the summer. I was worried that the IRB was going to be proud and insist that it stick to the autumn. Do you have a source on that?

Wonder why New York for the finals? I guess it's a cosmopolitan city, even if it's likely to actually be in MetLife in New Jersey, and the timezones are better for Europe, but it's a bit of a gamble that New Yorkers will be even slightly interested. Chicago might not have an MLR team yet, but they have got form for filling Soldier Field for a big rugby match. Or LA would be good if SoFi was available.

Puja
All from The Times.
New Jersey/New York = little to no difference. Akin to worrying about Chelsea playing in the borough of Fulham or Grimsby Town FC playing in Cleethorpes if you want something more analogous. New York is the biggest market and best time zone - for Europe, as you say, but also EST dominates sports scheduling, eg NFL matches are all scheduled so as to hit EST time slots, leading to those in the West playing in the morning. They would fill the stadium with ease - the city is sports mad.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Reverse bridge and tunnel wankers.