By gods it's hot!

Which Tyler

By gods it's hot!

Post by Which Tyler »

37* yesterday, has hit 38* todaydue same or higher tomorrow.

We're hiding in the North Wing (aka, we closed the kitchen door), ceiling fan going, dampened teatowels at every window, paddling pool outside, and a rotation of 2 t-shirts so that one is always damp and the other is soaking in the pool.
I HIGHLY recommend the latter, even thoug Ali is convinced I just want to see her in a wet t-shirt (she's only wrong about the "just" part)

Damp towels on the floor for the dogs, ice in the water bowl, and carrots in the freezer, and step up to the pool so they can get in too.

Most patients have been rearranged for later in the week, and those that are coming are either end of the day.
Puja

Re: By gods it's hot!

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:Damp towels on the floor for the dogs, ice in the water bowl, and carrots in the freezer, and step up to the pool so they can get in too.
Quick note - I'm told by a vet friend that ice water is very bad for dogs in this heat, as it actually warms them up (fools their body into thinking core temperature is lower than it is, which makes their body stop heat reduction measures.

I am currently very glad that we never got around to putting windows in the converted garage that I use as a library/office. It's still warm, but no direct sunlight and thick walls keeps it from being sweltering.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

40 here on my unofficial thermometer. We've been trying to tell the idiots up the road to shut their windows and keep their curtains closed, but to no avail. Seen several folks out running since 10 am- oh dear.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:Quick note - I'm told by a vet friend that ice water is very bad for dogs in this heat, as it actually warms them up (fools their body into thinking core temperature is lower than it is, which makes their body stop heat reduction measures.
That claim gets made every time it gets hot.
It gets refuted by other vets as well.

I typically see far more refutations than claims, certainly directly from those in the know, and every fact-checking site I've looked at that covers it.

In human physiology, the proposed mechanism is entirely mythical.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

By jingo it is -
10 o'clock in the morn., 32' in Manc., 33' Lunnun... :shock:
good at retaining heat, citiscapes innit.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Garden thermometer, in the shade, hit 41.5* yesterday.

It may be in the shade, but it's also near the back door, so slate patio generating more heat locally near it.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Tops usually twixt 3 & 4 pm,
moving well ..
cambridge 38'
lunnun, heathrow, manc. 37'
brum, york 36'
Puja

Post by Puja »

I have pre-season rugby training today!

Granted, it is at 7pm, when temperatures are going to be a very reasonable mere 27 degrees, but still quite warm. Currently mainlining water like it's going out of fashion, my water bottle is already in the freezer, going to bring an ice water spray bottle as well, wash my hair before going and leave it wet, and then and see how my 19st frame copes. May perish; we'll see.
Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Charlwood (surrey) bags it first !
It'll be a whopper..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62184978

Wouldn't risk my 19 st (++) ageing frame in this, good luck!.. :)
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:I have pre-season rugby training today!
Good luck!

Our club started last week, but cancelled yesterday and today
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Granted, it is at 7pm, when temperatures are going to be a very reasonable mere 27 degrees, but still quite warm. Currently mainlining water like it's going out of fashion, my water bottle is already in the freezer, going to bring an ice water spray bottle as well, wash my hair before going and leave it wet, and then and see how my 19st frame copes. May perish; we'll see.
Puja
Wouldn't go mate. Been pleading with my daughter not to play touch rugby in the smoke this evening.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Yay!

Clouds! rain drops!

Not actual rain yet, but it's a start, and it's actually cooler outside the house than inside.
But I may have cursed that by opening all the windows.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:Yay!

Clouds! rain drops!

Not actual rain yet, but it's a start, and it's actually cooler outside the house than inside.
But I may have cursed that by opening all the windows.
britains shock horror 2 day heatwave
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Ice suppositories, get them up ya. Report back.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:

Puja
Wouldn't go mate. Been pleading with my daughter not to play touch rugby in the smoke this evening.
It wasn't too bad in the end. Coaches were sensible - lots of technical work mixed in with touch and attack/defence drills, no running for the sake of running - and there was a bit of cloud cover and breeze.

Puja
Backist Monk
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

That was a couple of seriously unpleasant days of heat. Very uncomfortable.
Stom

Post by Stom »

It’s funny to see this from the outside. About 37 here today in Romania this week. And everyone is used to it. Just feel for the dog. No walks for her in the day as the ground would burn her paws.

She’s got what I think is a heat rash, too. She’ll be fine. We’ll take her down to the river when the sun is going down, get her a good swim.

Off to Cluj at the weekend, that’s predicted 42+… I think I’ll be inside all day, lol.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote:It’s funny to see this from the outside. About 37 here today in Romania this week. And everyone is used to it. Just feel for the dog. No walks for her in the day as the ground would burn her paws.

She’s got what I think is a heat rash, too. She’ll be fine. We’ll take her down to the river when the sun is going down, get her a good swim.

Off to Cluj at the weekend, that’s predicted 42+… I think I’ll be inside all day, lol.
Genuine question - are Romanian houses optimised for insulating to keep heat in like (most) UK ones are? I have no idea about Romanian winters.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote:
Stom wrote:It’s funny to see this from the outside. About 37 here today in Romania this week. And everyone is used to it. Just feel for the dog. No walks for her in the day as the ground would burn her paws.

Genuine question - are Romanian houses optimised for insulating to keep heat in like (most) UK ones are? I have no idea about Romanian winters.

Puja
It gets colder than the UK in the winter. A lot colder. Drops to -10 or lower are common. And mid 30s in the summer are regular, too, with a few 40s to be expected.

I have no idea how the houses are optimized, I don’t live here :) but the temperatures are similar to Hungary, and the houses area meant to be good at keeping any temperature out. Our upstairs gets unbearable in the summer, but it never gets too cold in the winter.