Brits abroad

Moderator: Puja

francoisfou

Re: Brits abroad

Post by francoisfou »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 am
francoisfou wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:39 pm Round 15 of ProD2 gets under way this evening with Grenoble v Provence.
For Grenoble, former Ospreys' and Wales' flyhalf Sam Davies starts at 10 for Grenoble along with 2nd row Pierce Philips, who played for Worcester 2017-19.
For Provence the evergreen Jimmy Gopperth wears 10.
Provence would've been top if they'd won, but they were stuffed 45-10.
The other round 15 fixtures are this evening:

Vannes v Angoulême - Sione Kalamafoni (not a Brit, but we know him from the Premiership with Glaws and Tigers) wears 8 for Vannes (who are top)
Rouen v Mont de Marsan - Valentino Mapapalangi (ditto, and also played for Tigers) is at 8 for Rouen (who are bottom)
Agen v Valence Romans - Ex Tiger Joe Maksymiw wears 4 for Agen and Henry Purdy 22
Biarritz v Brive - Zack Kibirige wears 14, Jonathan Joseph 13, former Wales centre Tyler Morgan 12 and Charlie Matthews 4 for Biarritz (a lowly 15th)
Edit! I had forgotten that Billy Searle starts at 10 for Biarritz.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Biarritz are one of the great disasters of professionalism in how poorly they were run and managed
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Arundell scored another for Racing in their 34 v 30 victory against Castres
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:44 pm Arundell scored another for Racing in their 34 v 30 victory against Castres
Yep, would have had another without a really unlucky bounce. Looking really sharp with the ball in hand. 6 tries in 5 T14 games now (4 starts). Only Penaud has more with 7 in 6 (5 starts).

Naturally the only thing being talked about on Twitter is him missing a tackle. A very soft one to be fair but it didn't lead to anything.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Bigger, White, Brookes and Ribbans start for Toulon at home to Munster and Singleton on the bench, and the team captain is Monsieur Ribbans!
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Lyon v Connacht - Joel Kpoku 4 for Lyon
Ulster v Toulouse - Blair Kinghorn 15, Jack Wills 20 for Toulouse
Leinster v Stade Français - Zack Henry 10 for SF
Cheetahs v Pau - Dan Robson 9 for Pau
Bath v Racing - Henri Arundell 11 for Racing
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Margin_Walker wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:21 pm
Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:44 pm Arundell scored another for Racing in their 34 v 30 victory against Castres
Yep, would have had another without a really unlucky bounce. Looking really sharp with the ball in hand. 6 tries in 5 T14 games now (4 starts). Only Penaud has more with 7 in 6 (5 starts).

Naturally the only thing being talked about on Twitter is him missing a tackle. A very soft one to be fair but it didn't lead to anything.
If it had been on telly over here, that would have been it for him on these boards.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Big match in ProD2 this evening featuring teams vying for promotion to the Top14 when Béziers (3rd 49 points) are at home to Provence (2nd 49 points) in the opening match of round 17.

Harry Glynn, former Tigers' Academy fly half, who had a spell with La Rochelle will wear 20 for Béziers, and for Provence Jimmy Gopperth (an honorary Brit) wears 21 and Tomas Francis 23.
George North has signed for Provence for next season and rumours abound that Courtney Lawes may sign too.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

The rest of round 17 of ProD2 will be played this evening:

Brive v Montauban - Sam Johnson 13 and Ross Moriarty 7 for Brive; Semesa Rokoduguni 14 and WillGriff John 23 for Montauban
Biarritz v Valence Romans - JJ 13, Billy Searle 10 and Charlie Matthews 4 for Biarritz; George Worth 14 for Valence Romans
Grenoble v Dax - Sam Davies 10 for Grenoble
Agen v Aurillac - Ex Quins' centre Harry Sloan 12 for Agen
Rouen v Nevers - Ex Newcastle and Exeter 2nd row Will Witty 4 for Rouen
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

French team news forthe Champions'Cup games:

Racing v Cardiff - 14 Christian Wade, 5 Will Rowlands
Toulouse v Bath - 15 Blair Kinghorn, 6 Jack Wills
Sale v La Rochelle - 23 Jack Nowell
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Lyon travel to Saracens with Joel Kpoku at 5 against his former club.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

There's one interesting fixture in the Top14 tomorrow when Pau travel to Montpellier when the Simmonds brothers will be on opposing sides, for the first time in their lives.
Their clubs' fortunes are rather different so far this season, with Montpellier (Champions a couple of seasons ago) currently four points adrift at the bottom and Pau in a position to qualify for the end of season playoffs.
Brother Joe is the leading points scorer in the Top14 with 141, 20 ahead of Castres' Pierre Popelin.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 am There's one interesting fixture in the Top14 tomorrow when Pau travel to Montpellier when the Simmonds brothers will be on opposing sides, for the first time in their lives.
Their clubs' fortunes are rather different so far this season, with Montpellier (Champions a couple of seasons ago) currently four points adrift at the bottom and Pau in a position to qualify for the end of season playoffs.
Brother Joe is the leading points scorer in the Top14 with 141, 20 ahead of Castres' Pierre Popelin.
How is Sam doing generally? Are the fans happy with him?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Timbo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am
francoisfou wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 am There's one interesting fixture in the Top14 tomorrow when Pau travel to Montpellier when the Simmonds brothers will be on opposing sides, for the first time in their lives.
How is Sam doing generally? Are the fans happy with him?
He's been a more or less ever-present in the Montpellier matchday squad, starting 9 of 13 matches and has scored three tries, but I don't know if the fans are happy with him.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Biarritz Olympique seems to be a popular club with Brits and in this evening's round 18 ProD2 fixture away to Dax there'll be:

Charlie Matthews 4
Billy Searle 10
JJ 13
Tyler Morgan 13
Zack Kibirige 14
Alfie Petch 23 24 year-old TH prop, former England U20, Exeter, Northampton and even the renowned Goldington Road finishing school.

However, their golden days are in the past (they were Top14 Champions in 2005 and 2006) and are now floundering in 14th place in ProD2 having won only 6 of their 17 matches. Simon Mannix is the current head coach, arriving in December 2023, who will hopefully manage to turn things around.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

ProD2 round 19 began last night with Agen v Provence with Agen thrashing the leaders 31-7

Agen -14 Henry Pirdy, 22 Harry Sloane
Provence - 3 Tomas Francis, 10 Jimmy Gopperth

This evening's fixtures:

Montauban v Béziers- For Montauban: 15 Semesa Rokoduguni, 7 Karl Wilkins (ex Northampton)
Colomiers v Dax - For Dax: 3 Nephi Leatigaga (ex Tigers)
Vannes v Aurillac - For Vannes: Sione Kalamafoni (ex Glaws and Tigers)
Rouen v Valence Romans - For Rouen: 5 Will Witty (ex Falcons and Chiefs): Valence Romans: 15 George Worth
Angoulême v Biarritz - For Biarritz: 4 Charlie Mathews, 10 Billy Searle, 12 Tyler Morgan, 13 JJ, 14 Zack Kibirige; 23 Alfie Petch( ex Northampton)
Mont de Marsan v Grenoble - For MdM: 5 Myles Edwards (ex Wasps and Worcs), Grenoble: 5 Pierce Philips (ex Worcs), 22 Terence Hepetema (ex irish)
Brive v Nevers - Brive 15 Stuart Olding, 19 Ross Moriarty
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lynagh goes straight into the Italy training squad after announcing his move to Treviso.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:10 am Lynagh goes straight into the Italy training squad after announcing his move to Treviso.

Puja
I wonder if he'll do better than Odogwu.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

FKAS wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 am
Puja wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:10 am Lynagh goes straight into the Italy training squad after announcing his move to Treviso.

Puja
I wonder if he'll do better than Odogwu.
I’m surprised that Odogwu hasn’t been included as I seem to remember he did quite well at Stade Français with Gonzalo Quesada was coach before being appointed as coach to the Italian team.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

He’s been injured quite a bit hasn’t he?
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm He’s been injured quite a bit hasn’t he?
I might be mis-remembering but I think he mainly sat on the bench for Italy at the world cup after a big build up. To be fair his stats at Benneton look decent, think he's injured currently.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Here's an article from today's Telegraph about another Kpoku, who I didn't know is already playing for Racing. I wonder if Fabien Galthié is having him watched?

Youngest Kpoku brother plays for England U20s – but may have been lost to France already
Junior Kpoku discusses his move to Racing 92, training with Siya Kolisi and future ambitions at Test level

Charlie Morgan,
SENIOR RUGBY WRITER
6 March 2024 • 9:38am