The Spring of Discontent

Which Tyler

The Spring of Discontent

Post by Which Tyler »

A general thread for the strike actions, and reactions to them.
The Winter option has already been taken, and I really can't see this being resolved before Spring.
Oh, and there hasn't been a snap general election called...

cashead

Re: The Spring of Discontent

Post by cashead »

Yes, but have you considered

I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

"Work harder"
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:24 pm

"Work harder"
It's utterly broken, isn't it? To the extent that it's pretty much not worth phoning an ambulance if you have a car, even in the case of something massive like a heart attack.

It's criminal that any government could let it get to this level. And then to have the gall to claim that they're instituting anti-strike laws because they're "worried about people's safety if there's not adequate coverage." Fuck all the way off.

At this rate, fuck COVID deaths as a badge of shame for the Conservatives - start a count on how many people have died waiting for an ambulance - it'll probably get to a higher number.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The Tories cant work outhow to respond to this. Sunak doesnt want to spend money but that is reinforced by the tory right who hate strikers a d want to beat them down before negotiating at all. They are hoping public sympathy will erode, but no sign of that. Rather the whole mess is being laid at their door. They have no ideas and Sunak cant force through anything vaguely contentious as he has no authority.

Time for a new government.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

This week in tory:
Wants to sack nurses for demanding equitable pay.
Doesn't want to sack MPs for tax fraud.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... y-finances
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -customers
UK mobile and broadband firms plan huge price rise for existing customers
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oh goody.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:26 am https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -customers
UK mobile and broadband firms plan huge price rise for existing customers
They just lifted mine 21%, and claimed it was 14.4% somehow, justified by 10.5% cpi plus their own 3.9% inflationary normal rise. Huge pi55 take.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gosh, I sure am glad that we privatised everything for all the efficiency that it's brought us.

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:40 pm Gosh, I sure am glad that we privatised everything for all the efficiency that it's brought us.

Puja
It's okay, we have a great regulator to keep them in line.
morepork

Post by morepork »

The majick of trickledown economics.

Eat the fucking rich.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

morepork wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:03 pmEat the fucking rich.
Cannibalism may be a little extreme - but I've a suggestion for the rich that might help with the "we can't afford heating" millions out there - it involves bonfires...
morepork

Post by morepork »

Break their spines, take all their money, then deny them a benefit because they are "perfectly able to work".
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:40 pm Gosh, I sure am glad that we privatised everything for all the efficiency that it's brought us.

Puja
The snag here is they can’t use their profits from gas extraction to reduce customer prices because that would break competition law.

But perhaps the government can consider a one off profit tax to top up the utility bill reduction fund.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:09 pm

Puja
The snag here is they can’t use their profits from gas extraction to reduce customer prices because that would break competition law.

But perhaps the government can consider a one off profit tax to top up the utility bill reduction fund.
Would you be able to ELI5? If they're making such ridiculous profits from gas extraction, why is the price that they're selling to themselves at still so high?

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:06 pm

Puja

Would you be able to ELI5? If they're making such ridiculous profits from gas extraction, why is the price that they're selling to themselves at still so high?

Puja
They sell to everyone at the same price, so British Gas can’t get a preferential rate. The spot rate o believe is set across Europe, I do t know what issue there would be if centricas production arm sold its has cheaper, although the market is hugely unpredictable and there are times where they extract for a loss.

I’d suggest a one off tax or donation would be the most appropriate mechanism in this event.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:44 pm

Puja
They sell to everyone at the same price, so British Gas can’t get a preferential rate. The spot rate o believe is set across Europe, I do t know what issue there would be if centricas production arm sold its has cheaper, although the market is hugely unpredictable and there are times where they extract for a loss.

I’d suggest a one off tax or donation would be the most appropriate mechanism in this event.
arent british gas donating 75m alongside corp and windfall taxes?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:35 pm

Puja

I think you're right.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja

Capitalist bastards.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:15 am

I think you're right.
75m is just 2.3% of Centrica's 3.3BN 2022 profit.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:52 am
I think you're right.
Not really that simple. That’s their profit before interest and taxes, and their effective tax rate is currently 65%.
I’m also fairly sure that figure includes overseas subsidiaries.
Son of Mathonwy

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:15 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:52 am

I think you're right.
Not really that simple. That’s their profit before interest and taxes, and their effective tax rate is currently 65%.
I’m also fairly sure that figure includes overseas subsidiaries.
Okay, their profit after tax is 2.1 BN, their effective tax rate is 34% and geographic split of UK to total is 74% for revenue, 85% for assets.

https://www.centrica.com/media/6020/cen ... cement.pdf