Wales vs England - minute-by-minute

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: Wales vs England - minute-by-minute

Post by Banquo »

I remain baffled as to how badly you have to play to be noticed to be playing badly in this case.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Surprised to hear being good at place kicking is just a case of practising enough. Can I suggest we get Itoje to practise off the tee for an 1hr a day until September and we can then pick our 10 and capt. based on other qualities.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

‘the fiercest and foremost competitors’ also gets on my nerves.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:58 am Surprised to hear being good at place kicking is just a case of practising enough. Can I suggest we get Itoje to practise off the tee for an 1hr a day until September and we can then pick our 10 and capt. based on other qualities.
It's amazing that nobody else has thought of just practising until it becomes impossible to miss.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

It's bonkers.

The argument seems to be:

- Farrell's kicking has been bad;
- kicking is just a matter of practising and Farrell practises harder than anyone; ergo
- Farrell is not bad at kicking after all.
p/d

Post by p/d »

That journo always rates Farrell at 10 for running onto pitch looking ‘fierce’. Then has an internal battle with himself when deducting a mark.

The Wales performance nearly destroyed him
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 21: Wales kick deep to Dombrandt, who once again returns the ball with a solid acceptable performance. Makes a metre of ground in contact versus Josh Adams, which is better than going backwards, but also is a number 8 with a 6-7m run-up who only makes a metre of ground against a winger.

However, we then go for a colossally stupid bit of play by George lying down on top of the ruck, under no pressure from the Welsh at all. Itoje then lies down on top of him, just in case Raynal wasn't sure yet and it's a penalty for Halfpenny - if there's one thing he's still able to do, it's kick points. Stupid, stupid play.

Minute 22: Halfpenny does the business. I don't think anyone expected him to miss - it's not like he's Farrell or anything. Takes his entire minute and then some though

Minute 23: England kick off and it's a good one - not to compete, but for Malins to smash the catcher as he takes it. Wales box-kick and Steward takes a belter of a catch under pressure - coming in from a distance to take under extreme pressure. People can say (unfairly) "he's only good at catching," but when he's that good, it's worth having!

We send Sinckler in on the crash to get quicker ball, but Wales dick about on the wrong side, so it's still not fast. Instead, it goes back to Farrell who goes for a cross-field kick and overhits it to go into touch on the full. It wasn't a great plan anyway - it was pitting Watson against LRZ in the air, but even if Watson took it, Wales had cover. Plus there's the non-zero chance of LRZ catching and going 80m. It's not a KADAB by the rules, as it was outside 40m and not quick ball, but it feels like we could've done more with that possession.

Minute 24: Wales take uncontested middle ball and attempt a dummy maul and pass, but Faletau shows wankhands and passes it above Tshiunza (which is impressive considering his height) and the ball is spilled forwa... nope, the ref says it's backwards. Guess that was marginal. Wales regather and box-kick aimlessly to Watson, who takes and sets a ruck. JVP sets a forward pod, presumably with the aim of a base for a box-kick of his own, but Francis puts in an excellent stopping tackle on Genge and then gets tangled up at the base - you've seen those given as "not evaporating" penalties, but I think it's probably fair to have that as a scrum to England.

Minute 25: Nothing happens as both sides fail to scrum.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 26: It takes most of the minute, but we finally get a stable scrum and JVP passes straight to Lawrence on the crash ball line. OWilliams does well to bring him down, but it's good forward ball, which is passed back for Slade to kick aimlessly away. It's not high, it's not overly long, it doesn't find touch, it just lands in Halfpenny's arms, 15m in from touch, on their 10m line, a solid 7-8m from the nearest English chaser. Halfpenny shows he can still recognise an open door when he sees one and runs straight through the gaps in our exceptionally raggedy kick chase, making a good 20m before being hauled down.

Minute 27: Thankfully TWilliams is willing to help us out by lifting the ball and then thinking about what he wants to do. He eventually chooses to pass to Faletau, but it's a hospital pass as Dombrandt is already up to tackle man and ball. It's not a very fierce tackle though - I'd be expecting an international no 8 to be smashing his opposite number there, but instead Dombrandt slides down and holds his legs, giving Faletau ample chance to offload.

Ludlam puts in a chop on the Welsh runner, dropping him at the feet of Willis and it looks for all the world like a repeat of the 1-2 act from earlier, however Raynal gives an exceptionally harsh "not rolling away" for Ludlam who really has rolled away very quickly. TWilliams finds his decisiveness and taps and goes - not sure about that decision as that's a guaranteed 3 points for Halfpenny, but he does make a bit of ground, weaving sideways to get up to the edge of the 22. Unfortunately, the Welsh team are very slow to respond and work out that someone else needs to play 9, and the ball is very slow. Eventually they pass it out to AWJ, who is stationary and on his own, and faced with Itoje and Sinckler who have had time to line him up - he gets walloped backwards. Several more phases of good defence from England, including some technically beautiful tackles and very quick rolling away, and Wales are back behind the point at which the penalty was given.

Minute 28: It gets worse for Wales as our flanker at 10 goes in for a jackal and AWJ flies off his feet to seal it off. Penalty England and you suspect TWilliams will get a flea in his ear about that tap penalty, given it likely would've made things 6-8. We kick for touch and set for a lineout 35m out.

That was superb defence by England though. Really showed what they've been working on in training - excellent technique all around. Plus we had lots of nibbles at jackals, pulling out when it wasn't on, but keeping the Welsh nervous until they eventually panicked.

Minute 29: Wales read our lineout well/we disguise it poorly and AWJ gets up in front of Ludlam. It's slapped back and Itoje and Willis scrag TWilliams way behind the gainline. However Wales recover and run another nothing phase to set up the boxkick. It's too long and Malins catches comfortably, but is then swarmed by the Welsh defence. They drive over and probably should get the turnover or the penalty for hands on the floor, but we scramble it back and Itoje makes a good carry to clear up incredibly messy ball. Now it's our turn to caterpillar and box-kick, but Van Poortvliet makes a much better job of it than Williams did - high and well placed and Malins is unlucky that his flailing arm knocks the ball on instead of back.

The ball bobbles loose, Halfpenny reaches with outstretched arms for it and Genge demolishes his ribs with audible satisfaction. Fair play to the Welshman though - he does get it back to the Welsh side.

Minute 30: We are saved from interminable boredom of a scrum, by the interminable boredom of Wales running another nothing phase and setting up a box-kick, which Steward once again takes imperiously. We are in almost exactly the same position as minute 23 - let's see if we go for another cross-field kick again.

Once more the forward pod takes it up, then out to Farrell again, but this time he's flatter and runs enough to interest the Welsh defence before popping inside to Malins. He makes good ground, but loses the ball on the floor - possibly shenanigans from Tshiunza, but if it is, it's in the "Well done" category because it's nicely subtle.

Wales use their knock-on advantage by passing the ball backwards down the line through 4 sets of hands, until it reaches LRZ, a good 15m behind where the ball started and with an angry English defence advancing on him. Gatland's attacking plan in a nutshell. The ref only lets us minorly murder him before coming back for the scrum.
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

It's early days yet in this match, but I do think the KADAB rules warrant a mention at the start of a thread, so that I can narrow my eyes accordingly when you let someone off
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 31: We just about get a scrum in this minute and it looks very much like England have wheeled it, but Raynal gives a penalty for Williams being folded by Genge.

Minute 32: Farrell steps up for the kick. Should be meat and drink this - 40m out and just to the right of the posts.

Minute 33: However, it's a poor miss - never on the correct line and staying just to the right of the posts. Wales go unpunished for that tap penalty choice earlier - should be 3-11.

The 22 is kicked long and we take and pass to Slade to put up the garryowen. It's well judged - Halfpenny has only just enough time to catch it before being buried by a flying Lawrence. That tackle knocked him a good 3-4 metres back just from the contact alone. No idea how he's not injured considering his general fragility and that this is the fourth time England have had a free shot to murder him. He places the ball so well and that, plus some phenomenal rucking by the Welsh props, is the only reason they manage to keep the ball in the face of our counterruck.

Wales manage to recycle with a good carry (including the first average tackle by Ludlam of the championship, although Chessum covers him) and then, once again, decide to see whether Freddie Steward can catch a box-kick.

Minute 34: As it turns out, he can (despite what looked to be a bit of a tug in the air by LRZ that sent him flying). Just like the other 100 times. We send up our own box-kick and this one is just too long by JVP, although still boxing Wales in by the touchline and giving them no space to run before our chase does get there. He's been good at what he's done, even if that's not much.

Wales manage to recycle and then, once again, decide to see whether Freddie Steward can catch a box-kick.

As it turns out, he can. Just like the other 101 times.

What? If they're going to copy and paste their plays, I'm certainly not going to bother writing anything new.

We decide to do something different and give Genge a run-up to charge into the Welsh defence. He barrels in at high speed, looking for all money like he's got no artifice and not a thought in his head except boshing his nearest man, but just before contact, he slips the ball off to Ludlam who is straight through the hole that's he's made with that run. Such good play. Ludlam is hauled down (and Willis is tackled off the ball), but it's quick ball for us from the ruck.

Minute 35: Passed out to Genge for another go, but Wales are ready and he's more isolated, so instead he comes back inside to the safety of his support and the momentum has gone. Ball back to Farrell who puts up another high ball - it's another good one and Steward will be annoyed that he knocks it on, rather than back or catching it, because it was there to be taken and would probably have led to a try.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Danno wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:44 pm It's early days yet in this match, but I do think the KADAB rules warrant a mention at the start of a thread, so that I can narrow my eyes accordingly when you let someone off
Good shout; have added them into the first post.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 36: The scrum goes down and I think from Raynal's signalling that the offence was bad dancing. Some kind of robot, perhaps. Welsh penalty anyway, which they kick into our half.

Wales take uncontested middle ball from the lineout and do the dummy maul, pass out again. This time Faletau doesn't screw his pass and Wales show some good hands to send Grady on the charge. We defend well, but Wales have momentum and quick ball.

Minute 37: Wales switch the play to OWilliams sweeping around and a mixture of Genge, Sinckler and Farrell fail to put in a good shot on him - he goes down, but he's made ground and it's very quick ball. Wales go again, but England have got their defence up and Wales underresource their next ruck - two players concentrate on clearing out the Flanker at 10, leaving TWilliams exposed for Lawrence to brutalise as soon as he lays hands on the ball. It looks like Ludlam is in over the ball, but the ref gives nothing and Wales hold onto possession. Now, however, they have much slower possession (and AWJ playing 9) and they go steadily backwards across five phases in the face of good English defence.

They've gone right the way back to where the original lineout was before they get something going - Lawrence gets fixated on a dummy runner and gives Adams room to arc around him. He gets back, but the ball is passed and it's now a 3-on-2...

Minute 38: ...that is defended very well. Steward comes up swiftly to number off and Farrell and Watson tread water and bring their man down. Wales attempt to pass to the other wing, but Dombrandt flies up in midfield and gets someone man-and-ball to shut that down.

Wales go again and, if I were Welsh I'd probably be a bit annoyed that England are consistently half a metre ahead of the back foot, but I'm not, so I'm not.

Willis then makes a mistake by stepping in on a dummy runner, looking for a big hit, and opening a gap as the ball is pulled back to a back instead. Wales now have a 3-on-2 again, but this time it's executed well - Adams holds onto the ball in two hands and draws Slade before putting LRZ through the gap on his shoulder. Rees-Zammit looks like he's through and burns Malins, but Steward does a hell of a job to bring him down by his shirt tails just outside our 5m line. Not pretty technique, but it got the job done!

Willis makes up for his mistake by competing hard at the breakdown and making a nuisance of himself to slow the ball down. It's given us enough time to get our defence in order and we repel 5 phases of one-out forward runners.

Minute 39: Wales pick and go where there is no space and Lawrence is onto it in a flash, clamping down on the ball. Dombrandt also goes for it, but he flops, hands on the floor, well past the ball, offering cover for Lawrence. This is right in front of the ref and it is a minor miracle that it's not given as a Welsh penalty as it is the most obvious thing you'll see all day. It's also completely pointless, as Lawrence is already doing the jackal well and securely.

Dombrandt is eventually driven backwards so his hands are on the ball (well, on top of Lawrence's, on top of the ball) and the ref gives the penalty to us. Lucky escape.

We kick to touch on our 10m line and Itoje takes good middle ball, which we then drive.

Minute 40: It's not a great drive. We're all too high, we've screwed the ball transfer, and we've let the Welsh wander round the side and get hands on it. We flounder for a bit before the scrum is given to Wales. Lots of faffing means it doesn't happen this minute.

Minute 41: Wales get a decent nudge on at the scrum and it's played away into midfield. They get quick ball and run some good hard lines to earn ground, but England slow them down just outside the 22m line and settle into our defensive patterns. It looks unthreatening until Genge stops paying attention and just doesn't come up with the rest of the line. It leaves a dog-leg that Wales send Gareth Thomas (not that one) through and he charges deep into the 22.

Wales get the ball back quickly and it takes several good one-on-one tackles to stop them as we are stretched.

Minute 42: Eventually we slow the ball and it ends up with Adams thinking there might be space between Itoje and Chessum. He learns differently as he's bodily carried back 3m. From the next phase, Sinckler performs the chop and it's Ludlam who locks in over the ball to earn the penalty. We end the half and go in 3-8 up, unfortunate not to be further ahead, while also lucky that Wales didn't take one of their opportunities.

As a note, I am going away for the weekend, so I shall come back to the second half on Monday. Gods only know what I'll do when we're back to only one week gap between games!

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Excellent read as usual Puja.

I appreciate it’s a lot of work to get this done. To lighten the load, one suggestion might be for some of us to take 5-10mins each (depending on how many are willing) and provide headline summaries for you. That might allow you to get through it a little quicker without the us losing out on your excellent (and amusing) write-ups.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Scrumhead wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:35 am Excellent read as usual Puja.

I appreciate it’s a lot of work to get this done. To lighten the load, one suggestion might be for some of us to take 5-10mins each (depending on how many are willing) and provide headline summaries for you. That might allow you to get through it a little quicker without the us losing out on your excellent (and amusing) write-ups.
Chinese whispers minute by minute. Sounds fun!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do actually kinda enjoy doing these, so I'm okay with my process at the moment. I just need to reign in my verbosity about phases that make absolutely no difference to anyone!

Puja
Backist Monk
Tom Moore

Post by Tom Moore »

I'd do that, but I don't think "Jesus, this is awful, I need another bottle of wine to tolerate it" is going to massively help matters.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Having a rewatch and thank god you didn't have the chance to absorb the whole thing as it was played Puja. This is not fun.
Danno

Post by Danno »

It's pretty great to reference the MBM alongside it though. Gonna stop at half time
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Danno wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:53 pm Having a rewatch and thank god you didn't have the chance to absorb the whole thing as it was played Puja. This is not fun.
First 30 odd minutes weren't too bad. If I were Puja I'd be "forgetting" that I hadn't actually done the second half.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

16th man wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:28 am
Danno wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:53 pm Having a rewatch and thank god you didn't have the chance to absorb the whole thing as it was played Puja. This is not fun.
First 30 odd minutes weren't too bad. If I were Puja I'd be "forgetting" that I hadn't actually done the second half.
Yep, I thinks it’s going to be sheesh not another kebab second half!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 41: Farrell kicks off and it's once again middling - into the 22 for an easy catch far away from our chase, but not really pinning the catcher close to his line or the touchline. Wales take up to the edge of the 22 and box-kick high - it's poor too and Steward gathers with ease and drives through contact to set up a ruck.

We take another forward rumble and then JVP spreads it wide. Our backs play becomes a real muddle though. Farrell applies no artifice or guile to where he's going to pass, making the forward dummy runners entirely obsolete. He then flings a pass that is either too high and behind Lawrence, or it's not meant for Lawrence at all and is supposed to go behind him to Malins, but Lawrence has screwed up the call and isn't flat enough and gets in the way. Looking at it in slow motion, I think it's the latter - if Lawrence is a metre further forward, then he becomes a dummy-runner that draws the Welsh defence and Farrell's pass becomes a lovely pull-back to Malins on the wrap around, giving us a 3-on-2 on the outside.

However, Farrell fails to recognise that Lawrence is in the way and doesn't adapt to what's in front of him, Lawrence fails to realise the pass isn't his and takes it, slowing everything down as he gathers, then when the ball does get to Malins, he fails to adapt to what's in front of him and tries to complete the training ground move with a pass to the wide, completely missing that the cockup has given Wales a chance to advance and Rees-Zammit is literally standing in the passing lane waiting. He picks off the pass with ease and canters under the posts. Poor play all around.

Do you know what the real tragedy is here? This was a perfect situation for a little kick through. All the inappropriate kicks we've put in this 6N and this was the perfect opportunity. Wales were up so flat and their full-back was so deep that there was masses of space - if Farrell had gone for a chip over the top, there were acres for Dombrandt to walk into. And if Malins had put the ball on his boot, then LRZ's charge out of the line would've left him hopelessly out of position and Slade and Watson going through uncontested. Sometimes a little kick *is* the answer.

Minute 42: Conversion is scored and it's 10-8. We kick off again and this time it's a bit better - still not on to compete, but the ball is outside the 22 and the catcher is met and driven back by Ludlam and Itoje, who are a little unlucky not to get something for their rucking over.

Minute 43: Wales box-kick again and Steward does superbly to run in with a flying leap to take the ball above his head Gaelic football style. It's good front foot ball and made better by the next phase which is George tipping on to Sinckler on the burst. We do the same as last time in spreading to Farrell after one phase and this time the right option is chosen of Dombrandt on the crash. I've criticised Dombrandt for being half-hearted, but that was a good carry and he's unlucky to be met by an equally good tackle from Grady. Fast rucking though and quick ball.

JVP goes blind and we've got a 4-on-3, but Wales are badly organised, with most of their defence tight in a wall in front of Farrell - Lawrence is picking a great line and if the pass goes to him, he's through. However, Farrell decides his best option is to try and thread a grubber kick through the wall of players in front of him and graces us with our first Kicking Away Decent Attacking Ball: Farrell x1 as it just richochets off. We get lucky however, as the ball bounces to Owen Williams who runs into Farrell and falls down in lieu of being tackled, and then compounds it by rolling over and over when his team were already blasting Farrell off any hope of a jackal. Easy penalty to England, dumb one to give away by Wales.

Minute 44: Farrell kicks to the corner and it's once again fine without being great - 12m out. It's a lovely drill by England - George hits Itoje at the back, we make a very convincing dummy maul that suckers in most of the Welsh pack, and Willis can just pop the ball out to Genge arcing around at pace to run into the Welsh midfield. OWilliams does a decent job of bringing him down, but he's up to the 5m line and it's instant ball for a quick pass to Sinckler running at pace. Really good set piece play from England and it's ruined only by some poor ball presentation from Sinckler that allows Wales to spoil a little. It turns what would likely have been a quick pass to Dombrandt running a probable scoring line, into a set of rumbles around the corner. We take about 5 goes without getting over the line or getting quick ball. Lawrence is calling for a cross-field kick on the left, but no-one's interested and they're probably right not to be as I don't fancy his chances against LRZ in the air.

Minute 45: Sinckler gets a pass from Itoje and it really does look for all money like he's gone far too high and is destined to be held up after another excellent tackle by OWilliams. However Ludlam latches and drives, Sinckler spins and the referee calls that he's grounded it, although he's probably the only person in the stadium aside from Sinckler who's certain about that. Good refereeing that, as it would've been easy to just fob that off to the TMO, despite there was never a chance of anyone but a live ref being able to see it.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 46: Fazlet kicks the conversion under the posts and it's 10-15. Exciting start to the second half this - I thought you all said this half was awful?!

Wales join England in the Meh kickoffs club, with a low clubbed effort that Dombrandt catches and returns adequately. JVP kicks and I'd just like to take a moment to acknowledge how much work that man has put in on his box-kicking. Wasn't too long ago that he was an absolute chargedown risk and his technique was far too front on. He's entirely rebuilt his kick, adopting a completely different technique, and he's been absolutely superb this game. This one allows Halfpenny to catch it, put one foot on the floor, and get his ribs rearranged by Malins. Again, excellent ball placement under pressure - he may not have all that he used to, but he's still got some class.

Wales play away and a neat tip-on by AWJ disarranges our defence a little, although George covers well before more than a metre is lost.

Minute 47: Wales have some decent quick ball and are running good forward lines - England are coping well in defence and Ludlam's putting in some lovely low tackles. They're making ground, but not very much and TWilliams decides it's time for a kick. It's a good dink over the top and finds a gap between Steward coming across and Watson coming back, but we've generally got it covered. The ball bounces up well for Watson and he makes a lovely pirouette to leave the chasing LRZ clutching at air, before accelerating up the 5m channel. He burns one, draws another, passes inside to Lawrence who fucks the counter up by tucking the ball under one arm instead of running with it in two hands. He's tackled from behind and the effort of getting the ball back in two hands and the pass away leaves it going low and forward for a Welsh scrum. There was a lot to do, but there were many England attackers and not much Welsh defence - that feels like a try-scoring chance missed. Lawrence has got credit from a lot of people for his 12 play this tournament (mostly from the visual effect of him making ground by continually boshing into Allan against Italy), but I'm still on the fence. His handling and ball control leaves a lot to be desired - this is the third time in two games that he's lost good attacking ball in contact because he's not holding it correctly (not to mention his terrible KADAB against Italy). Not saying we should drop him or anything, but he is getting a lot of leeway for his virtue of not being Farrell.

Minute 48: It looked for a long time like we were going to have a scrum, but TWilliams doesn't want to play the ball away and the battle between Genge and Francis ends up with the entire scrum on the floor. Felt like Genge was on top there, but the ref resets and we go again in minute 49.

Minute 49: The ref leaves an interminable pause between bind and set and then free kicks England when both sides collapse together. Still, at least we're moving and a quick tap sees Wales run their backs move that they've got planned. It's slick, but England back off to make sure they've read it and don't fall into the trap of panicking about LRZ, so it ends up 2-on-2, which Slade finishes with a textbook side-on tackle at pace. Defensive porn that was.

Wales then give away any number of penalties at the breakdown - Adams dives off his feet to seal over the ball, only be rucked off by excellent technique from Malins and Lawrence, then Halfpenny plays the ball on the floor as JVP tries to take it, then TWilliams comes around the side to challenge JVP, at which point a team of JVP and Slade rucks him off with excellent technique, only for LRZ to come around the side to try and take the ball. The referee gives the penalty to England for any one of the four offences and our backs all get full marks for some very sexy rucking.

Minute 50: Slade finds a good touch 35m out from the Welsh line and Itoje takes good middle ball under pressure from AWJ. He taps down to JVP who gets it away to Farrell and there's some sort of mix-up as Farrell looks like he's running the little jink for a pop to a winger on his inside shoulder, except Malins has come to his outside shoulder. As such, it just ends up being Farrell doing a little jink and getting pulverised by Ken Owens. Really good ball placement from Farrell though, so there's no chance of the turnover. Slow ball and we look to resuscitate it with Itoje running off 9, but that results in just as slow a ruck, so we set for the box-kick instead.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 51: It is another absolutely belting box-kick from JVP - landing 20m forward and weighted perfectly to compete. Malins does an excellent job - Wales have erected a barricade of four players in front of Halfpenny (we were doing this a lot for Steward in fairness), but he comes up the outside so he can then run in from the angle, leaping like a salmon to get the tap back. Tshiunza flaps at the loose ball and, while England do get it back, it's always under pressure and the ref comes back for the knock-on.

Minute 52: Genge absolutely marmalises Francis at the scrum, but the referee waits until the scrum collapses before giving a bizarre free-kick to Wales for Genge pushing early. It's a nonsense call, and for once a prop is entitled to his perplexed look at a referee's decision. That made little to no sense.

Minute 53: Wales kick the free-kick aimlessly to Steward and Jiffy is getting annoyed in commentary. Can't blame him - that wasn't even slightly contestible. Just gave us the ball back. We return the favour, as JVP kicks this one too long, but a good chase makes up for it and Wales are brought down deep inside their half.

Wales go for a wiper kick this time and are rewarded by Watson making an absolute pig's ear of the catch. Looks like he has it under control, but must've lost it in flight as the ball goes over his head and bounces horribly for England. JVP does well to get his nose on it and hang on long enough for enough support to arrive that we win the ruck.

Minute 54: Dombrandt plays ersatz 9 and we carry up a forward phase to recover our flattened scrum-half. Caterpillar and box-kick and this one is back on form - Watson is unlucky not to take that one against some really good aerial work by OWilliams. Wales recycle into midfield and caterpillar for a box-kick. This time it lands on Steward who takes with ease.

Minute 55: We recycle a phase, caterpillar, box-kick. I can see why you lot were warning me about the half now. Can't blame England though, cause this is another pearler from Van Poortvliet and Wales knock on under huge pressure in the air.

Pause as changes are made. OWilliams is going off hurt after that contest with Watson - he's been very good. Genge is going off for MakoV again, which is bizarre, again. If Genge is only capable of lasting 55 minutes, then we need to change his conditioning. He's been dominant in the scrums, and a weapon with ball in hand, and I can't believe that we wouldn't be better keeping him for another 5-10 minutes than the massive drop in quality that is 2023!Mako Vunipola.

We actually get a good scrum though, possibly because Francis isn't being screwed into the ground by Genge anymore. It's an iffy hook by George though and Dombrandt does very well to pick up the ball from the middle with one hand and break from the base. Lawrence runs a hard line off him, but gets shut down well by Biggar.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 56: Jesus H Christ. Not one (realtime) minute after I complained about Mako V, he's given good ball to run with off 9 and gets utterly folded by the first defender without making a yard. We retain the ball, but it's slow as anything. It's good enough for a caterpillar and box-kick combo though and another great kick pins Rees-Zammit on the touchline with Watson bearing down, resulting in a dropped catch as he takes his eyes off the ball and misjudges the flight. England scrum.

Minute 57: The scrum is again stable, suggesting that Genge vs Francis was indeed the problem. Another good pick from the base by Dombrandt and we get the ball into midfield - Slade running hard and popping to Lawrence who is nearly through the gap. It's quick ball, but slowed a touch by a Welsh hand coming through to interfere with JVP (who does well to keep the ball). England have an overlap, but Tompkins is up quickly and waving his hands in the wide passing lane, so Van Poortvliet goes short to Dombrandt, who is lacking support and is turned over. Wales play quickly away and think about going wide, but England get across and they come back inside, where our flanker wearing 10 is waiting to turn the ball back over. Wales come in from the side and it should be an England penalty, but Raynal gives the scrum to England for a dead ruck instead.

Minute 58: It's a rock solid scrum and another nice pickup and pass from the base by Dombrandt - while I am tempted by a TCurry/JWillis/Ludlam back row when all are fit, there's no doubt that 8 is a specialist position and Dombrandt showing off all the specialist skills today. JVP has called to go blind and... it doesn't really seem on at all? Slade doesn't seem to have got the call, as he's not moving quickly enough to be part of the attack, plus Ludlam is really slow off the scrum, which leaves JVP and Malins marked up 2-on-2 and the Welsh backrow coming back to cover the inside. It's a bad call and made worse by Van Poortvliet engaging in Kicking Away Decent Attacking Ball: JVP x1, Farrell x1 with a grubber that ricochets off legs and into Welsh hands. Even had that kick gone through, the Welsh defence would've been favourites to get there ahead of Malins. Poor play.

Minute 59: Wales set up the caterpillar and kick away to Steward. We have quick ball 33 metres out, and JVP passes for MakoV to make an impression on the Welsh defence. Said impression appears to be the same as throwing a lump of playdoh at a brick wall and we now have slower ball, 35 metres out. We run a nice backs move through Faz, Slade and Watson, which gets us a quick ruck again, only for Slade to decide that we've had enough of this attacking malarky and it's time to engage in some Kicking Away Decent Attacking Ball: Slade x1, JVP x1, Farrell x1. A wicked bounce takes it away from Halfpenny, but then another one takes it away from the touchline and the ball dribbles out touch in goal. Even had that come off perfectly, it would've just been a Welsh lineout. Disappointing.

Minute 60: BCurry is on for Willis. Better than Earl coming on, I suppose, but I'm still annoyed to see Willis leave this early. No scrum happens this minute due to both sides pissing about.
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Thanks Puja.

I to was annoyed by Genge and Willis being subbed so early when they were both so effective.