Stuart Hogg - Retiring after the RWC

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Stuart Hogg - Retiring after the RWC

Post by Big D »

As per thread title.

Hoggy hanging up his boots post world cup.
Mikey Brown

Re: Stuart Hogg - Retiring after the RWC

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'd certainly want to look a bit more towards Kinghorn/Smith after the world cup but it feels like a bit of an odd announcement to be honest. He's certainly slowed down and will be 35 by the next world cup, but who knows how he'll be going when the next Lions tour (for instance) comes around. Maybe he just wants to relax a bit and take a big French/Japanese payday, which nobody could begrudge him.

Obviously he's been absolutely incredible for Scotland and Glasgow. I feel like he sparked this whole generation of a Scotland side that people actually enjoy watching. It's a shame he hasn't been able to win much of significance with them. Russell gets all the headlines these days but he has been so key in us being an attacking force that can create more than just the odd consolation try against the top teams.

I really enjoyed his chat with Paterson recently too, if you haven't seen it, about getting to 100 caps.
Last edited by Mikey Brown on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

Post by Big D »

It is a surprise but I am not sure it is a shock.

In many ways I think this is a good thing. His body is starting to break down and seems he has picked up a lot of injuries over the last wee while. I think he needs to be "Stuart Hogg" when playing, not a shadow of what he was and I think he feels that point was coming. He has nothing to prove to anyone:

- Likely 3rd most capped Scots male rugby player by the time he hangs them up.
- 3rd most games as captain
- Most national team tries.
- Been 6N player pf the year twice.
- 3x Lions tourist and 2 Lions caps.
- Domestic trophy winner in two countries (even through wasn't selected for Glasgow's final)
- European Cup winner.

He is one of our greatest players not just the pro era, and for my money our best captain since White, and would be a shame to see him end up like say a Ford where the abuse starts to come because he is being selected.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm I'd certainly want to look a bit more towards Kinghorn/Smith after the world cup but it feels like a bit of an odd announcement to be honest. He's certainly slowed down and will be 35 by the next world cup, but who knows how he'll be going when the next Lions tour (for instance) comes around. Maybe he just wants to relax a bit and take a big French/Japanese payday, which nobody could begrudge him.

Obviously he's been absolutely incredible. I feel like he sparked this whole generation of a Scotland side that people actually enjoy watching. It's a shame he hasn't been able to win much of significance with them.
He is retiring from rugby not internationals.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:08 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm I'd certainly want to look a bit more towards Kinghorn/Smith after the world cup but it feels like a bit of an odd announcement to be honest. He's certainly slowed down and will be 35 by the next world cup, but who knows how he'll be going when the next Lions tour (for instance) comes around. Maybe he just wants to relax a bit and take a big French/Japanese payday, which nobody could begrudge him.

Obviously he's been absolutely incredible. I feel like he sparked this whole generation of a Scotland side that people actually enjoy watching. It's a shame he hasn't been able to win much of significance with them.
He is retiring from rugby not internationals.
Ah. Fair enough.

Well I guess we have no choice but to win the world cup then.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Hogg’s statement.

General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Brilliant player - have really enjoyed watching him over the years. I guess the time has come, and although I thought he’d have one more 6N in him (to get the caps record), I’m glad he won’t be hanging on if he feels his body can’t do it any more. Well played, that man.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I echo everything on here. My first reaction was similar to Mikey's as I couldn't imagine him playing but not wanting to be considered for Scotland. Makes more sense him retiring fully - must be frustrating rarely feeling like you are at your very best (though he could pick up some today money).

Fingers crossed a bit of a summer break and then a preseason camp can have him fully fit and firing and ready for World Cup glory.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Good luck to him, it feels like he's been the biggest piece of the jigsaw in making Scotland the team they are today. Can't say enough good about him really, to mature into the professional and the player he is, in the public eye, genuinely awesome. Thank you Stuart.
Scottish Caley Fan

Post by Scottish Caley Fan »

Thanks for all you having given to Scotland and Rugby in general, its likely going to be an emotional last game of the season at Sandy Park in a couple of months and then over in Paris October time :( :(.

Though I do think punditry may be suitable for the man as I felt he did a good job last week during the Italy match 👏.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Big D wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:49 pm As per thread title.

Interesting, I suspect he has a few years left in him, but perhaps he wants to go out at the top of his game which is a decision I think most people can understand. At his best, a superb full back who caused any number of problems for defences and one of the few Scottish players over the past decade to consistently push for Lions recognition.

It looks like he has given his future a lot of thought and maximum credit to him for doing so. Fair play, he is leaving his rugby playing career on his own terms and not many players get to do that. Best of luck to him for the future.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:23 am

Interesting, I suspect he has a few years left in him, but perhaps he wants to go out at the top of his game which is a decision I think most people can understand. At his best, a superb full back who caused any number of problems for defences and one of the few Scottish players over the past decade to consistently push for Lions recognition.

It looks like he has given his future a lot of thought and maximum credit to him for doing so. Fair play, he is leaving his rugby playing career on his own terms and not many players get to do that. Best of luck to him for the future.
Perhaps lucky he's maximised his earnings to a point and getting out with his faculties in tact. We might see more players go early.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Big D wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:37 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:23 am

Perhaps lucky he's maximised his earnings to a point and getting out with his faculties in tact. We might see more players go early.
The whole brain injury thing must make a few people think twice. And frankly what else has he got to achieve on a personal level to take that risk? His earnings are unlikely to suddenly increase in the current situation, he's done the whole Lions tour thing, he's been to multiple world cups, his standing is as high as its likely to get, and whilst Im sure he would love to be a 6N Champion with Scotland, that's a bit out of his control. Better to go early and leave people missing you than hang on in there and become the target for trolls.

i doubt he is the only player who will retire after the RWC, its become a natural cut off point.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

He’s retiring with immediate effect so not going to RWC. Says his body isn’t up to it any more.

https://scottishrugby.org/stuart-hogg-a ... rom-rugby/
Big D

Post by Big D »

Such a shame to miss out on the world cup. His body must be fucked for him to miss it. Playing for Scotland meant an awful lot to him.

Legend. 100 caps, 3 lions tours, top Scots try scorer and was imo a good captain. We are going to miss him.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Gutting but good for him in knowing when to give it up. That he's only 31 too shows how brutal the game is at the top level, though he has a decent number of miles on the clock having broken through so young.

People will remember the stepping ability but for me it will always be about that arching break on the outside shoulder that looked so unstoppable. He was a great fullback and staying there was definitely the right move, but I always wondered how he would have gone at 13. But he had the skills to play anywhere.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

A sad day he was a great player, best of luck to him in the future, I believe he already has something lined up.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

All is revealed. He’s off to be a pundit for TNT Sport rugby coverage (they’ve taken over BT Sport, so English Prem and the Euro cups). Was the “my body can’t do it anymore” story just an excuse so he could be in the new job for the start of the English club season? Mind you, their season doesn’t start till after the RWC group stages are finished so he would have been available anyway :roll:

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/all-sports/ ... tory.shtml

Big D

Post by Big D »

BaldiePete wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:41 am All is revealed. He’s off to be a pundit for TNT Sport rugby coverage (they’ve taken over BT Sport, so English Prem and the Euro cups). Was the “my body can’t do it anymore” story just an excuse so he could be in the new job for the start of the English club season? Mind you, their season doesn’t start till after the RWC group stages are finished so he would have been available anyway :roll:

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/all-sports/ ... tory.shtml

I don’t think Hogg would pull that card tbh.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

This is really interesting - https://www.theoffsideline.com/stuart-h ... etirement/

Sounds like he hasn't felt like he is contributing for a while and was bringing others down.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:47 am This is really interesting - https://www.theoffsideline.com/stuart-h ... etirement/

Sounds like he hasn't felt like he is contributing for a while and was bringing others down.
the full interview is very good. About 20mins but worth it

sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

There's a fairly disappointing article about Hoggy on the DM website.

Feel sorry for the kids more than anything.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Haven't seen the article but rumours have been flying for ages that's he's shagging around, indeed the rumours are he retired when he did as he'd been caught and given an ultimatum.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

It turns outs he’s a despicable cunt. Goes off with another woman while his wife is pregnant with his 4th child.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertain ... s-31451114