New and Improved EPS Watch/Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

New and Improved EPS Watch/Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

The board is creaking a little bit at the moment, so I'm getting rid of some old threads to try and make some space.

Found this today about plans by Borthwick to bring in more coaches for player pathways and provide more support for young forwards coming through below the senior EPS: https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://ww ... lish-scru/

Looks interesting and generally sensible plans. I hadn't realised all of Fletcher, Walton, and Haag had gone to the SRU - shocking lapse by the RFU in letting any of them go and even worse now that they're at a rival. Ryan has a lot to answer for.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Re: New and Improved EPS Watch/Player Form Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oh! Improved is it now? How exactly would that be?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Won’t be so improved if it’s just me talking to myself, will it?
Peej

Post by Peej »

Just so we all get off to the best possible start early doors; which messianic figure are we going to spend 50 pages arguing about?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Peej wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 pm Just so we all get off to the best possible start early doors; which messianic figure are we going to spend 50 pages arguing about?
Who's the standout in the U12s?

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Peej wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:30 pm Just so we all get off to the best possible start early doors; which messianic figure are we going to spend 50 pages arguing about?
Only 50 pages?
All of them
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Could always start with a classic.

Ben Youngs form has been pretty good since he fell out of favour with England. Time for a recall?
chris1850

Post by chris1850 »

I'll bite.

Are you having a senior moment? He's way past it, too slow and ....... et al!
Puja

Post by Puja »

I love that the very first page in the old EPS watch thread from 2016 included grumbling about Youngs and especially the futility of playing anyone outside him and Farrell. La plus ca change...

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:03 pm I love that the very first page in the old EPS watch thread from 2016 included grumbling about Youngs and especially the futility of playing anyone outside him and Farrell. La plus ca change...

Puja
This one got me though.
Beasties wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:29 pm Pleased for Sam Jones, he's getting a chance to put in some solid performances without injury at last.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Wales have used the new eligibility rules to call up Henry Thomas to their pre-RWC training camp. Bit of a surprise - anyone know if he has been doing well for Montpellier?

Puja
Backist Monk
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

They pick Thomas but overlook Hawkins?

Always thought Thomas was a bit unlucky for England. Injuries came at the wrong time.

Wales have picked 54 players. I imagine our initial squad will be of a similar number?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:20 pm They pick Thomas but overlook Hawkins?

Always thought Thomas was a bit unlucky for England. Injuries came at the wrong time.

Wales have picked 54 players. I imagine our initial squad will be of a similar number?
Not overlooked, its their rules.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Henry Thomas was always liable to be a bit iffy at scrum time if I remember rightly. Desperate times for Wales though he is only 31.

Hawkins doesn't join Chiefs yet, if sure they could have used a loophole to get him to the world cup, not sure they've got a better 12 option.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Banquo wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:34 pm
fivepointer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:20 pm They pick Thomas but overlook Hawkins?

Their rules are pretty odd if they cover picking an English lad playing in France who has never played regional rugby, but not a Welsh lad who's just moved to England.

Not to mention this part of it

FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Wil Rowlands has also been selected even though he's moving to France in the summer from the Dragons. He only has 23 caps as well but is selected because he can add 2 caps in the pre tournament friendlies. Doesn't that just sound like BS.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Margin_Walker wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Their rules are pretty odd if they cover picking an English lad playing in France who has never played regional rugby, but not a Welsh lad who's just moved to England.

Anyone know if Hawkins has any English blood? We'll have him in 3 years' time if the Welsh won't.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

I was thinking it was a shame they'd called up Max Llewellyn who despite the name is dual qualified and heading to Glaws for next season. He's a big lad. Sadly he's pretty much the Gatland ideal at 12 so we won't get the chance to convert him.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Margin_Walker wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm

sure are
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I saw Hatherall and Tom Willis made the T14 team of the month.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Wigglesworth confirmed as England’s attack coach for the RWC… sigh
Puja

Post by Puja »

And Tom Harrison as scrum coach. Literally recruited the entire Leicester backroom staff.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 pm And Tom Harrison as scrum coach. Literally recruited the entire Leicester backroom staff.

Puja
I hope we got some good compensation.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Gabriel Oghre impressed for Bordeaux this evening and could be World Cup bolter.