Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: New and Improved EPS Watch/Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

Backist Monk
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

"For the first time, this feels genuinely like a joint venture. The RFU and the Premiership clubs have never been this aligned before.”

Good heavens, has the penny finally dropped.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

fivepointer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 pm "For the first time, this feels genuinely like a joint venture. The RFU and the Premiership clubs have never been this aligned before.”

Don't hold your breath.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:47 pm
fivepointer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 pm "For the first time, this feels genuinely like a joint venture. The RFU and the Premiership clubs have never been this aligned before.”

Don't hold your breath.
I loved the fact that the article specifically called out similar quotes from the signing of the Professional Game Agreement in 2016, Heads of Agreement in 2008, and Long Form Agreement in 2000. Hopefully the existential threats facing the English game will mean that it's true this time.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

They’re both aligned to screw the Champ.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm They’re both aligned to screw the Champ.
Yeah, I'd noticed the one missing party in the agreement as well. Not really sure where the Champ can go in negotiations if the two of them unite into one uber-Bastard though.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

TCurry apparently back in training: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... treadmill/
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/tom-cu ... s-recovery

Not full contact, but still hugely promising and impressive. I think I probably would prefer him not to go on tour and have a summer of further recuperation and a full pre-season, but this is much better news than the "he may never play again" doom-mongering that was going around earlier in the season.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:15 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm They’re both aligned to screw the Champ.
Yeah, I'd noticed the one missing party in the agreement as well. Not really sure where the Champ can go in negotiations if the two of them unite into one uber-Bastard though.

Puja
RFU deny it, but they really want to fold the champ under PRL.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 pm

Puja
While obviously it depends on the mechanism by which it happens (not really interested in it happening if they don't have full voting rights, for example), would that be a terrible thing? Would seem to make sense to have one body overseeing the professional clubs.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:51 am TCurry apparently back in training: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... treadmill/
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/tom-cu ... s-recovery

Not full contact, but still hugely promising and impressive. I think I probably would prefer him not to go on tour and have a summer of further recuperation and a full pre-season, but this is much better news than the "he may never play again" doom-mongering that was going around earlier in the season.

Puja
Doesn't seem much point in taking a players that's not played for months on tour to NZ. A full pre season will do him good. He's probably not had one since he was in his teens. Hopefully he's used the time out so get the rest of his body tip top and get rid of the little niggles most players play through.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:07 pm

Puja
While obviously it depends on the mechanism by which it happens (not really interested in it happening if they don't have full voting rights, for example), would that be a terrible thing? Would seem to make sense to have one body overseeing the professional clubs.

Puja
If it wasn’t PRL, yes 😂😂
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:14 pmIf it wasn’t PRL, yes 😂😂
Good point, well made.
There aren't many institutions in rugby that I have less faith in than the RFU, especially as WRU seems to be at least trying to out its house in order. But PRL are definitely in that group, quite possibly all on their own (maybe alongside EPCR - ironically enough)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:14 pmIf it wasn’t PRL, yes 😂😂
Good point, well made.
There aren't many institutions in rugby that I have less faith in than the RFU, especially as WRU seems to be at least trying to out its house in order. But PRL are definitely in that group, quite possibly all on their own (maybe alongside EPCR - ironically enough)
They are an absolute nightmare for the RFU to deal with. Plus they have 'sold' a big chunk of income to CVC, which would be no fun for Champ clubs if folded in.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Speaking of the EPRC, The Times are reporting today that there’s still no agreement with TNT about broadcasting the European comps next season albeit TNT are keen at a reduced price, as they were for the Prem.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/in ... the-season

Chessum out for the rest of the season following surgery on an existing injury. Focusing on being fit for next season. Seems like he won't be in New Zealand this summer.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:05 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/in ... the-season

Chessum out for the rest of the season following surgery on an existing injury. Focusing on being fit for next season. Seems like he won't be in New Zealand this summer.
Good long-term news, to my mind. Chessum has had a long and gruelling season and will benefit both from having the surgery to fix him and also from having a proper time to recover and recuperate.

England need to pray that Itoje, Martin, and CCS stay fit for NZ though. There's a step down to Coles/Roots if one of them is injured.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 pm
FKAS wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:05 pm https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/in ... the-season

Good long-term news, to my mind. Chessum has had a long and gruelling season and will benefit both from having the surgery to fix him and also from having a proper time to recover and recuperate.

England need to pray that Itoje, Martin, and CCS stay fit for NZ though. There's a step down to Coles/Roots if one of them is injured.

Puja
Relying on Martin and is dodgy knee to stay fit is not the best place to be. On the bright side we might be able to take a serious look at some back up options and see if any stand up to scrutiny. I think Coles is alright. Perhaps time to take a closer look at Tuima though with Ewels being in good form he could be the safe option.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... -breakdown
From Feyi-Waboso to Evans: the 2023-24 Premiership team of the season

1. Beno Obano
2. Curtis Langdon
3. Thomas du Toit
4. Maro Itoje
5. Charlie Ewels
6. Courtney Lawes
7. Will Evans
8. Zach Mercer

09. Ben Spencer
10. Finn Russell
11. Ollie Sleightholme
12. André Esterhuizen
13. Henry Slade
14. Immanuel Feyi-Waboso
15. Tyrone Green

Rationale in the article.
Bath have been better than expected this season, but even I am not sure we deserve quite that many

Obano is great when he's on it, but Newcastle were far from the first team to get on top of him / make the ref think they've got on top of him
Ewels is so much better than he's been before, but Bath's lineout is still dodgy as hell.
Russell has been great for the whole team, but then, so has t'other Fin and FH, who's team are flying higher (with fewer stars, apparently).
Danno

Post by Danno »

Always baffles me when this sort of article is bashed out before the semis are even set in stone
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Trying to bash one out before you even get to a semi is ridiculous.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Has Mercer actually been particularly good? Hard to tell with this Gloucester team I guess.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 pm Trying to bash one out before you even get to a semi is ridiculous.
[golf-clap]

Agreed with the sentiment though - seems awfully premature.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 pm Trying to bash one out before you even get to a semi is ridiculous.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 pm Has Mercer actually been particularly good? Hard to tell with this Gloucester team I guess.
Yes
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Spencer as 9 of the season is laughable