Road to RWC 2023

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: Road to RWC 2023

Post by Cameo »

Oh, and Fagerson for all his faults is a key player for us, so his potential loss is huge.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:37 pm
Banquo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:36 pm helluva comeback. Not sure France were at full strength but even so
Nowhere near full strength,
nowhere near but still a side full of excellent players. Good comeback but such a poor 1st half. Or maybe such a good 1t half by France - their forwards really dominated
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 am Oh, and Fagerson for all his faults is a key player for us, so his potential loss is huge.
it never fail to amaze me how many do not understand that. Not just the set scrum, his work in open play is as good as any TH anywhere
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:21 am
Cameo wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 am Oh, and Fagerson for all his faults is a key player for us, so his potential loss is huge.
it never fail to amaze me how many do not understand that. Not just the set scrum, his work in open play is as good as any TH anywhere
People do understand that. He is by far the best option Scotland have at the position. People get frustrated at stupid penalties he gives away.

Yesterday three of four were unnecessary and one of those may cost gametime at the world cup if he cops a 6 week ban. He shouldn't but the unnecessary penalty has made that a possibility.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hastings, McDowell, Rowe and Henderson released from the squad back to their clubs.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:14 pm
People do understand that. He is by far the best option Scotland have at the position. People get frustrated at stupid penalties he gives away.

Yesterday three of four were unnecessary and one of those may cost gametime at the world cup if he cops a 6 week ban. He shouldn't but the unnecessary penalty has made that a possibility.
Oh I get the frustration and can't dispute yesterday

But trust me, there are so so many who do not see the work he does around the park. The ignorati only see set scrums, big carries and pens (and only see the latter when awarded or replayed). They don't see the hard yards, they don't see the ruck clears, they don't see the routine tackles, they don't see the subtle hands - all in numbers which any prop, in fact any forward would be very pleased to achieve occasionally
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Not many more to be released now.

A hooker: Quite open here. I wonder if McInally might get another shot on the weekend. You would think Turner is nailed on to go, but after that I am not sure. Cherry was maybe the outsider but he showed his merits on the weekend. Possibly the most reliable sub.

A tighthead: I assume it will be Walker if Fagerson is not out for too long.

A scrumhalf: Ditto with Dobie and White. Thought Horne was good yesterday.

A backdrop: With Hastings gone (the only surprise) we can take one more than we thought. Bayliss looks the most likely to be cut, but with the positions he covers he is perhaps more useful for the squad than Crosbie. Watson couldn't stem the flow in the first half yesterday and was at least partially at fault for the second try, but he did show some real physicality in the tackle.

Really interesting contrast in approach between different teams in how they use these warmups.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:58 pm Not many more to be released now.

A hooker: Quite open here. I wonder if McInally might get another shot on the weekend. You would think Turner is nailed on to go, but after that I am not sure. Cherry was maybe the outsider but he showed his merits on the weekend. Possibly the most reliable sub.

A backdrop: With Hastings gone (the only surprise) we can take one more than we thought. Bayliss looks the most likely to be cut, but with the positions he covers he is perhaps more useful for the squad than Crosbie. Watson couldn't stem the flow in the first half yesterday and was at least partially at fault for the second try, but he did show some real physicality in the tackle.

Really interesting contrast in approach between different teams in how they use these warmups.
Agreed on most of that. Did the lineout function better after Cherry came on or am I imagining that? I think he’s number 2 at the moment.

Are you saying it’s confirmed that Hastings is out already?

Who are the people that don’t rate Zander Fagerson? I thought the only issue is concern around discipline because he’s so crucial to the side?

It was nice to see Horne play (mostly) very well. It felt overdue.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:59 pm
Cameo wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:58 pm Not many more to be released now.

Agreed on most of that. Did the lineout function better after Cherry came on or am I imagining that? I think he’s number 2 at the moment.

Are you saying it’s confirmed that Hastings is out already?

Who are the people that don’t rate Zander Fagerson? I thought the only issue is concern around discipline because he’s so crucial to the side?

It was nice to see Horne play (mostly) very well. It felt overdue.
Hastings has to be partly fitness.

I rewatched the line outs. Ashman wasn't that bad. The two we lost were the French jumper from behind making a steal. So not all on Ashman.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I don't think Cherry is our second best hooker, but I think he may well be our best sub hooker. He just seems to have performed well in that role consistently. I don't have the stars though so could be a misperception.

Very tough call though. McInally would be a strange guy to take in a way and if he doesn't end up playing we might see it as a complete waste of a spot compared to taking someone like Ashman. However, if he hits a bit of form he might well be our best all round hooker.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:37 am I don't think Cherry is our second best hooker, but I think he may well be our best sub hooker. He just seems to have performed well in that role consistently. I don't have the stars though so could be a misperception.

Very tough call though. McInally would be a strange guy to take in a way and if he doesn't end up playing we might see it as a complete waste of a spot compared to taking someone like Ashman. However, if he hits a bit of form he might well be our best all round hooker.
I mean sure it’s a ‘waste’ if anybody doesn’t play, in one sense, but also we’ve got some intensely physical games beyond Ireland and SA. We need to be able to rotate a bit and we need all the leadership quality we can pull together.

I honestly haven’t seen enough of him recently to know if he’s still up to it though.

Though maybe you meant waste in the sense that it will do Ashman good in the long term, regardless of whether he’s quite ready to be a consistent feature in the match day squad.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:24 pm
Big D wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:14 pm

Oh I get the frustration and can't dispute yesterday

But trust me, there are so so many who do not see the work he does around the park. The ignorati only see set scrums, big carries and pens (and only see the latter when awarded or replayed). They don't see the hard yards, they don't see the ruck clears, they don't see the routine tackles, they don't see the subtle hands - all in numbers which any prop, in fact any forward would be very pleased to achieve occasionally
I'm guessing some of those takes are on The Offside Line. Some of the comments are mind blowing.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:01 am
Cameo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:37 am I don't think Cherry is our second best hooker, but I think he may well be our best sub hooker. He just seems to have performed well in that role consistently. I don't have the stars though so could be a misperception.

I mean sure it’s a ‘waste’ if anybody doesn’t play, in one sense, but also we’ve got some intensely physical games beyond Ireland and SA. We need to be able to rotate a bit and we need all the leadership quality we can pull together.

I honestly haven’t seen enough of him recently to know if he’s still up to it though.

Though maybe you meant waste in the sense that it will do Ashman good in the long term, regardless of whether he’s quite ready to be a consistent feature in the match day squad.
Yeah, that's what I meant re Ashman. It would just feel strange to take someone like McInally who is about to retire if he is not likely to play a major role (e.g. if he is just third choice and will come off the bench v Romania). Equally, he might just play a big part.

A bit of a different dynamic this World Cup as the games are all well spaced out. I expect us to play our top team in the first two games, rest some vs Romania and then be back to the top team v Ireland, but there is no reason some players couldn't play in all four.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:53 pm
Yeah, that's what I meant re Ashman. It would just feel strange to take someone like McInally who is about to retire if he is not likely to play a major role (e.g. if he is just third choice and will come off the bench v Romania). Equally, he might just play a big part.
I wouldn't see that as strange at all. The RWC is the peak of the cycle for everyone - players, coaches, fans. History and winning are all that counts and everyone wants to give their best shot. So we pick whoever is best NOW. If that is McInally, fine, if its Ashman, if its Cherry, fine, But the RWC is all about winning, not developing the future - that is what the 4 years since the last one were about. Whoever is picked will play a part even if there are no injuries
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Romania just got beat by the US, who haven't even qualified, so perfectly acceptable to rest people. And it's two weeks between SA - Tonga - Ireland, so hopefully we have a fully fit and firing 23 for each match.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:47 pm Romania just got beat by the US, who haven't even qualified, so perfectly acceptable to rest people. And it's two weeks between SA - Tonga - Ireland, so hopefully we have a fully fit and firing 23 for each match.
I worry about our second rows. GG and Gray will be 33 and 34 during the competition. Backing up performances week on week is tough. Even the 6N is broken up with breaks.

I'd have been sorely tempted to take 5 locks with Skinner and Cummings emergency 6s and 5 back row rather than 6.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">During 2023, <a href="https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam?ref_sr ... andteam</a> Men have 'lost' the 1st half in 5 out of 7 Tests (Wales & Italy in the 6 Nations the exceptions) and 'won' the 2nd half in 6 out of 7 games (Ireland in the 6 Nations the exception). <br><br>Aggregate score by half:<br><br>1st: Sco 59 - 83 Opp<br><br>2nd: Sco 109 - 49 Opp <a href="https://t.co/a6KMk92OQW">https://t.co/a6KMk92OQW</a></p>— Kevin Millar (@topofthemoonGW) <a href=" 7, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

According to Midi Olympique/Rugbyrama, this'll be the side to play Scotland in Saint Etienne on Saturday evening and most of whom will be in the World Cup opening match against the All Blacks in just over four weeks

Le XV de départ probable : 15. Ramos, 14.Penaud, 13. Fickou, 12. Danty, 11. Villiere, 10. Ntamack, 9. Dupont, 7. Ollivon, 8. Alldritt, 6. Boudehent, 5. Flament, 4. Woki, 3. Aldegheri, 2. Marchand, 1. Baille.

16. Bourgarit, 17. Gros, 18. Atonio, 19. Chalureau, 20. Cretin ou Tanga, 21. Lucu, 22. Gailleton, 23. Bielle-Biarrey.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

For what it’s worth, the Boks have named their squad - due to injury, there’s no Am, Pollard or de Jager.

Hopefully Fagerson registered for Ayrshire Bulls’ next matches…
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

General Zod wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 pm For what it’s worth, the Boks have named their squad - due to injury, there’s no Am, Pollard or de Jager.

Hopefully Fagerson registered for Ayrshire Bulls’ next matches…
Yeah, I saw that. Pollard and Am are big losses (De Jager too but they have similar cover). I don't really like Pollard as a player and feel he can slip into a kicking rut where he just kicks everything, but he is undoubtedly important for them. With Am, there is no but, probably their classiest player, the one who means they finish the chances their defence creates.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Big D wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:04 pm
switchskier wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:47 pm Romania just got beat by the US, who haven't even qualified, so perfectly acceptable to rest people. And it's two weeks between SA - Tonga - Ireland, so hopefully we have a fully fit and firing 23 for each match.
I worry about our second rows. GG and Gray will be 33 and 34 during the competition. Backing up performances week on week is tough. Even the 6N is broken up with breaks.

I'd have been sorely tempted to take 5 locks with Skinner and Cummings emergency 6s and 5 back row rather than 6.
Fair point but I think 4 is enough. Gray and Gilchrist can have two weeks between matches (with one of them on the bench v Romania). Obvs that gets tougher for our run to the final but we wouldn't want to be playing our fifth choice option then (maybe unless it was an in form Jonny Gray, who we couldn't pick in the squad now anyway)
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Effectively a two game ban for Fagerson. We’ve dodged one there. Also, don’t have to worry about him getting injured in the two remaining games.

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Wow, that's a great outcome. Bit more detail below, seems the key point was getting the charge changed. When I read the original charge, it did seem strange that it focused on charging into the ruck rather than the head contact. That would have had a six week starting point whereas the amended one had a four week starting point. From there, a week off for guilty plea and remorse and a further week for doing the training course.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/6 ... gn=KARANGA
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That sure feels lucky for a repeat offender. Maybe they’re aware they were seen to let Farrell and Sexton off to make the World Cup and just thought they’d rather avoid the fuss.

World rugby seem to be continuing to backtrack on the good work they’ve done towards limiting forceful head contacts.

Ah well. Maybe this coaching session will be really good.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Very lucky on Faegerson but given that the inconsistency is consistent I'm not going to complain too much.

Thoughts for team for Saturday? We don't want to take a hammering but at this point I'm not sure there's much to be gained by risking some key players/combinations. Think we'll see pretty close to first choice but I'd prefer something like:

15 Smith - only option really with Kinghorn at ten
14 Graham - not happy about this, we're short on wings
13 Jones - would like to see this combination with Redpath as we're only an injury away from it
12 Redapth - put pressure on the starting centres
11 Steyn - protecting Duhan
10 Kinghorn - time to step up if he's next in line
9 Horne - earned it last week
8 Dempsey - make or break for the 8 shirt
7 Darge - go take the shirt
6 Ritchie - keen to see alongside Darge
5 Cummings - needs games, hope can displace one of RG/GG
4 Skinner
3 Sebastian - chance to play way onto the team. Walker currently just ahead for me
2 Cherry - chance to cement place on the team ahead of McInally
1 Sutherland - I'm looking for a bit of form

McInally, Bhatti, Walker, Gilchrist, Crosbie, Bayliss, Price, Healy,