Road to RWC 2023

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: Road to RWC 2023

Post by Big D »

As strong a squad as we've had for a world cup in a long time.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Surprised by the McInally call as I too thought he'd been good. Didn't look like it but maybe they thought he played a part in the late lineout issues last week.

Happy with the squad as a whole though. We seem to much more settled than four years ago.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Echo comments about the squad.

10 days now to sort out the staying switched on for the full 80.

Looking forward to my trips to various French cities next month.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:03 am As strong a squad as we've had for a world cup in a long time.
same thing said every RWC. It MAY be true this time, but while we can play a bit and threaten teams we still lack 80min focus and I fear the pack isn't quite good enough
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:10 am It is tricky for the refs though. The chances are Berry only sees that out the corner of his eye while focusing on Schoeman and the ruck. Some refs will be better than others at spotting these tricks, but there is a reason why they are known as the dark arts (also, there will be plenty of players claiming to be taken out when they are not).
its not always easy but clearly Berry saw enough to spout bullshit about Gilchrist falling over Aldritt. Was a saying I was taught very young. Better to keep your mouth shut and look a fool than open it and prove it. Mr Berry should take note.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:10 am
Big D wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:03 am As strong a squad as we've had for a world cup in a long time.
same thing said every RWC. It MAY be true this time, but while we can play a bit and threaten teams we still lack 80min focus and I fear the pack isn't quite good enough
Oh I still don't expect to get out the group. Just think that 1 to 33 this squad is pretty strong by our standards.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:40 am
Oh I still don't expect to get out the group. Just think that 1 to 33 this squad is pretty strong by our standards.
Yep, it's a weird time to feel pleased with the selection, the progress and the togetherness of the group (with a few 'golden generation' players at their peak) but still not have much faith of escaping the group.

On one of the NZ shows a pundit said we're "playing great and are very entertaining to watch, but too much time and energy spent in the wrong areas of the field for little return will always end up costing you" which I thought was pretty much on the money. I would love to see us take control of at least one of the big games, but it's so hard to picture given their dominance over us in the last 10 years.
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Yup a shame.... we've got a decent squad and seemingly some confidence.... but a group that is a real stretch....
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Yup a shame.... we've got a decent squad and seemingly some confidence.... but a group that is a real stretch....
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:27 am Squad is out.

The four dropped players are McInally, Walker, Bayliss, and Dobie. I thought Mcinally and Bayliss have both played well when they’ve come on in the matches so far and are unfortunate. Pleased for Crosbie though, he’s a good player.

Forwards: Ewan Ashman, Jamie Bhatti, Dave Cherry, Luke Crosbie, Scott Cummings, Rory Darge, Jack Dempsey, Matt Fagerson, Zander Fagerson, Grant Gilchrist, Richie Gray, WP Nel, Jamie Ritchie (c), Pierre Schoeman, Javan Sebastian, Sam Skinner, Rory Sutherland, George Turner, Hamish Watson.

Backs: Darcy Graham, Blair Kinghorn, Chris Harris, Ben Healy, George Horne, Huw Jones, Ali Price, Cameron Redpath, Finn Russell, Ollie Smith, Kyle Steyn, Sione Tuipulotu, Duhan van der Merwe, Ben White.
A bit gutting for McInally to end his career that way. Would like it if a testimonial or a run out in a pre-season Edinburgh game was on the cards for him to say goodbye. I get the decision from a rugby perspective though.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

SA team for the weekend is out. An old school feel to that centre partnership but the pack is massive.

South Africa: 15. Willie le Roux, 14. Canan Moodie, 13. Jesse Kriel, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Manie Libbok, 9. Jaden Hendrikse, 1. Steven Kitshoff, 2. Malcolm Marx, 3. Frans Malherbe, 4. Jean Kleyn, 5. RG Snyman, 6. Siya Kolisi (capt), 7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 8. Jasper Wiese.

Replacements: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Ox Nche, 18. Vincent Koch, 19. Franco Mostert, 20. Marco van Staden, 21. Duane Vermeulen, 22. Grant Williams, 23. Damian Willemse.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:53 am

Yep, it's a weird time to feel pleased with the selection, the progress and the togetherness of the group (with a few 'golden generation' players at their peak) but still not have much faith of escaping the group.

On one of the NZ shows a pundit said we're "playing great and are very entertaining to watch, but too much time and energy spent in the wrong areas of the field for little return will always end up costing you" which I thought was pretty much on the money. I would love to see us take control of at least one of the big games, but it's so hard to picture given their dominance over us in the last 10 years.
Yeah, that all seems fair. I think the way we play is right for us, but there is a big downside. We need to play much closer to perfect rugby to win than the other big teams. We simply don't have good enough players to think that we can play the same way as, say, Ireland or South Africa and beat them. However, our solution is also our downfall. Watching us, there are a lot of things that can go wrong and often in our half. That means the really big teams will beat us more often than not.

The only caveat to that is that if we can keep the pace high enough and make teams uncomfortable, we can suck them into making more errors than usual.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:53 am

Yeah, that all seems fair. I think the way we play is right for us, but there is a big downside. We need to play much closer to perfect rugby to win than the other big teams. We simply don't have good enough players to think that we can play the same way as, say, Ireland or South Africa and beat them. However, our solution is also our downfall. Watching us, there are a lot of things that can go wrong and often in our half. That means the really big teams will beat us more often than not.

The only caveat to that is that if we can keep the pace high enough and make teams uncomfortable, we can suck them into making more errors than usual.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

So what do people think for this weekend. My hunch from what Townsend has been saying is that we will see a strong team. He was saying he wishes he had even more games (though recognising the injury risk).

It's a tough one because the downsides of picking a front line team are so much more obvious (e.g. Russell or another key player injured) but that doesn't mean we might not suffer from not picking them (a little less sharpness or match fitness or combinations that don't quite gel). I'm inclined to trust the coaches' instinct - if injuries happen, they happen.

That said, if Russell plays, I wouldn't mind him coming off after 50.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I wouldn't play Russell to be honest. I think the team is plenty settled enough that him playing half a game this week isn't a crucial factor. Get Healy some more minutes alongside first choice centres (or maybe Redpath/Jones). Start Sebastian and give one of Gray/Gilchrist a break. There's no point having the old boys play this much when our set piece will fall apart without them.

It would be mighty tempting to rest Kinghorn too were he not the only FH cover left.

Do we know when White is supposed to be fit? I wouldn't risk him but just curious.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I hope George Horne gets a start. He’s been playing well enough to deserve it and I’d like to see how he goes as a starter rather than his usual role of coming on with something like 15 minutes to go.
If Healy gets a start he might be paired with Redpath and Harris with the team for the Romania match in mind. I’m sure we’ll be resting first choice players for that one.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I would think so, but I feel like putting out a full second team to practice for the Romania game is a bit unnecessary. If guys like Horne and Healy are going to be next in line they need to be playing with first choice players.

I just want to keep Nel, Gray, Darge, Russell out of harms way. They feel like the least replaceable right now.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:02 pm I would think so, but I feel like putting out a full second team to practice for the Romania game is a bit unnecessary. If guys like Horne and Healy are going to be next in line they need to be playing with first choice players.

I just want to keep Nel, Gray, Darge, Russell out of harms way. They feel like the least replaceable right now.
Agree on Darge and Russell, and Nel gains little from more gsnetine. But we have backup to Darge and he's still very young so I'd like him to get more experience. Georgia will be a good test on terms of style for SA.

I'd also consider resting Duhan. Not sure we gain much by risking him.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

What about basically starting as if our bench had already come on? Give some time to combinations that we know we'll see and could be vital.

I agree with someone above that it's a waste to pick a team to practice specifically for Romania but I can definitely imagine the bench players needing to sharpen up.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That’s a good way of putting it, practicing closing out a game if worst comes to worst and Turner, Fagerson (Nel), Gray, White, Russell (and I’d say Duhan or Dempsey because they’ve played a fair bit) have had to come off.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Refs for the group games are out:
SA - Gardner (Aus)
Romania - Barnes (Eng)
Tonga - Dickson (Eng)
Ireland - Berry (Aus)

We've managed to pull IMO 3 of the worst refs on the panel for the world cup.
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Big D wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:06 am Refs for the group games are out:
SA - Gardner (Aus)
Romania - Barnes (Eng)
Tonga - Dickson (Eng)
Ireland - Berry (Aus)

Hmm....I was hoping we had seen the back of some of them
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Big D wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:06 am Refs for the group games are out:
SA - Gardner (Aus)
Romania - Barnes (Eng)
Tonga - Dickson (Eng)
Ireland - Berry (Aus)

Hmm....I was hoping we had seen the back of some of them
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Reasonable team. Good to see White is fit.

Not what I thought we should go for, tactically, but a good side. I'm surprised we haven't seen Fagerson get more minutes at 8.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Probably the first choice backs except for Smith in place of Kinghorn. That looks like the big game bench front row, a mix in the second row (Gray would be a first choice) and a first choice back row. Praying for no injuries.