obituaries of criminal, disgraced former-celebrities

Zhivago

obituaries of criminal, disgraced former-celebrities

Post by Zhivago »

I think they should not be written and published. Anyone disagree?

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

J Dory

Re: obituaries of criminal, disgraced former-celebrities

Post by J Dory »

Can you tell who he's talking about yet?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Zhivago wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:16 pm I think they should not be written and published. Anyone disagree?
Where an offence that serious is proven, no. Reporting on the death is fair enough and in the public interest, but no obits, even if they are trying to be balanced.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

I'm not sure "hiding" them is the right move. We are surrounded by (mostly) men who commit acts of sexual violence on others, the majority are people we know and are in our family/social circles. Maybe we should be publishing Rolph Harris's obituary so everyone can comment. While we are too ashamed to talk about it, we're enabling it.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Nah, give them obits.

“Australian, wrote a racist song that propelled him to stardom, died a disgraced nonce. He can go burn in hell, while we take turns pissing and shitting on his grave.”
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

J Dory wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:54 pm I'm not sure "hiding" them is the right move. We are surrounded by (mostly) men who commit acts of sexual violence on others, the majority are people we know and are in our family/social circles. Maybe we should be publishing Rolph Harris's obituary so everyone can comment. While we are too ashamed to talk about it, we're enabling it.
But that’s just general reporting. Disgraced paedophile dead. Obits tend to celebrate achievements or a life in general.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

This from the I today

On his death he deserves no more than a news in brief. Yet his victims deserve more. Coverage can be indictment not obituary, avoiding the usual florid prose reserved for the demise of public figures.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

I don't see why they shouldn't have obituaries, as long as they're honestly written. If they are a true reflection of the life of a monstrous human being then they'll rightly show them to be monsters. I'd expect one for Vladimir Putin.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Prince Andrew should get a nice one.

I think a fine line between honesty and notoriety is difficult. Pedos are one thing, but what about a mass murderer or a racist genocidal maniac? Why risk motivating other sick fucks? Some things just don't need oxygen.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:27 pm Prince Andrew should get a nice one.

I think a fine line between honesty and notoriety is difficult. Pedos are one thing, but what about a mass murderer or a racist genocidal maniac? Why risk motivating other sick fucks? Some things just don't need oxygen.
I can only imagine how much editorial time will go into proof reading that one.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Henry Kissenger turns 100 tomorrow. I hope his obituary when he shoots the gap is brutally honest.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

morepork wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:48 pm Henry Kissenger turns 100 tomorrow. I hope his obituary when he shoots the gap is brutally honest.
Jesus. The grim reaper's really let us down there.