Eddie to quit after RWC?

Moderator: morepork

Puja

Eddie to quit after RWC?

Post by Puja »

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/eddie- ... abies-boss

I don't know if he actually means it - whether he mispoke meaning the 2027 RWC or if he's just trolling - but it'd be hilarious if Rugby Australia had sacked Rennie in order to get just under a year of the Edward Jones experience.

Puja
Backist Monk
cashead

Re: Eddie to quit after RWC?

Post by cashead »

Very random, to be honest. RA knew what they were in for when they signed Eddie Jones, and he has prior form of walking out on contracts (Eddie Jones: Stormers coach, anyone?).

Got to wonder whom they'd be able to get lined up if he follows through on this, when RA seem to be more preoccupied with getting into slanging matches with the equally incompetent NZRU.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

As far as I can tell, it was an Eddie dig at a stupid question from an interviewer, taken out of context, and run with - not an actual, serious answer.
Anyone going around thinking that the things Eddie says are the same as the things Eddie does, really hasn't been paying attention for the last 25 years.
morepork

Post by morepork »

He is such an annoying little media grommet.

More importantly, Christian Lealiifano is a possibility for the Samoan WC squad.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/christian ... ion-202365
cashead

Post by cashead »

The build-up to Bledisloe I really exposed Eddie and his verbals a great deal IMO. Foster made the right call of basically not even dignifying whatever the fuck it was Eddie was saying in the build-up, and it reminded me of the build-up to McGregor-Poirier III at UFC 264. Connor McGregor had a reputation as being able to get under his opponents' skin before the fight happened, and Poirier repeatedly laughing off what McGregor was ranting about, or just looking perplexed at the pressers (and later asking interviewers "what the fuck was he talking about?") pretty much showed up how a lot of McGregor's verbal game was built around unhinged rants and playground insults, while grabbing at low-hanging fruit. And honestly, when Eddie was going on and on in the build-up, I did wonder just what the fuck Eddie was on about. An All Blacks loss would devastate the NZ economy? Like, bro, have you not seen the shit we've gone through? Like, look at the state of Foster's tenure! *gestures in the direction of Foster's tenure as coach* And yeah, it starts to get really formulaic. Blah blah blah, my team are the underdogs. Blah blah blah pressure is on them. Blah blah blah, they won't be ale to cope with a loss. Blah blah blah. Change the fucking record, Eddie. You don't get to talk about how your team winning is inevitable, when your boys have spent the last couple of weeks getting their shit wrecked by teams your upcoming opponents have beaten - especially when you've just lost to a team that itself got mollywhomped like yours did a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing Foster didn't really do was deliver the same kind of brutal verbal response like Poirier did (responding to a question from a reporter posed to McGregor about why his behaviour was so different from the last time the two fought at UFC 257 with "because he got knocked the fuck out. Not McGregor Fast, McGregor Sleep.") But, looking at the result of the match, I guess he didn't really need to.

Like, I really don't want to hear about how good Eddie's verbal barbs are, at this point.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

cashead wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:42 pm The build-up to Bledisloe I really exposed Eddie and his verbals a great deal IMO. Foster made the right call of basically not even dignifying whatever the fuck it was Eddie was saying in the build-up, and it reminded me of the build-up to McGregor-Poirier III at UFC 264. Connor McGregor had a reputation as being able to get under his opponents' skin before the fight happened, and Poirier repeatedly laughing off what McGregor was ranting about, or just looking perplexed at the pressers (and later asking interviewers "what the fuck was he talking about?") pretty much showed up how a lot of McGregor's verbal game was built around unhinged rants and playground insults, while grabbing at low-hanging fruit. And honestly, when Eddie was going on and on in the build-up, I did wonder just what the fuck Eddie was on about. An All Blacks loss would devastate the NZ economy? Like, bro, have you not seen the shit we've gone through? Like, look at the state of Foster's tenure! *gestures in the direction of Foster's tenure as coach* And yeah, it starts to get really formulaic. Blah blah blah, my team are the underdogs. Blah blah blah pressure is on them. Blah blah blah, they won't be ale to cope with a loss. Blah blah blah. Change the fucking record, Eddie. You don't get to talk about how your team winning is inevitable, when your boys have spent the last couple of weeks getting their shit wrecked by teams your upcoming opponents have beaten - especially when you've just lost to a team that itself got mollywhomped like yours did a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing Foster didn't really do was deliver the same kind of brutal verbal response like Poirier did (responding to a question from a reporter posed to McGregor about why his behaviour was so different from the last time the two fought at UFC 257 with "because he got knocked the fuck out. Not McGregor Fast, McGregor Sleep.") But, looking at the result of the match, I guess he didn't really need to.

Like, I really don't want to hear about how good Eddie's verbal barbs are, at this point.
You’ll get a load of chat now about how he’s deflecting criticism from the team and taking the pressure off them by selflessly being such a twat.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Australian press belatedly acknowledging that Rennie was actually doing an okay job and it was silly to fire him for not performing miracles: https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://ww ... 5dsbh.html

Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm https://www.planetrugby.com/news/eddie- ... abies-boss

I don't know if he actually means it - whether he mispoke meaning the 2027 RWC or if he's just trolling - but it'd be hilarious if Rugby Australia had sacked Rennie in order to get just under a year of the Edward Jones experience.

Puja
Yes.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:27 pm
Puja wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:44 pm https://www.planetrugby.com/news/eddie- ... abies-boss

Puja
Yes.
I was right. It is hilarious.

Puja
Backist Monk
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Puja
After or before?