groupadeath

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Got some sleep

groupadeath

Post by Got some sleep »

So no pressure on us, we're underdogs to get out of the group. Best squad since 1999, so it's a shame we're in the groupadeath, but jings it'd be great if we could "do something special".

It's the groupadeath for us because both Ireland and South Africa have our number. Bash the fuck out of us and we'll cave: we've done that so many times before, last world Cup being prime example.

And we can't just hope to beat one of Ireland/SA, we have to beat both to be sure of getting out of the groupadeath.

Can we do it?

Ireland are good. I mean really good. Beating them would be more blood and guts than we've shown for a long time.

South Africa, hard to tell with their opposition, but they look to be better than their usual one-dimensional stereotype.

I had hoped we'd give SA a hard time by being fitter and taking them out of their comfort zone, but I'm less confident now.

Nevertheless, I have a totally irrational belief that we'll do this. Anyone else share this?

BTW, got some sleep = no sleep = no sleep runs this deep = early days of a better nation
Donny osmond

Re: groupadeath

Post by Donny osmond »

After last night's match (SA inflict a record defeat on NZ), whatever hope we had has just been dialled all the way back. I'd say our best bet now is for SA to do a real number on Ireland and then the last group game Sco v Ire becomes effectively the first of the knock out round and anything might happen.
Cameo

Re: groupadeath

Post by Cameo »

The SA v NZ game showed what could easily happen. Quite apart from being on our game, we really need to:

- keep penalties to a minimum (that means rucking really well in attack) as otherwise we will get caught in a lineout, mail, penalty, lineout, mail, yellow, lineout, maul, try spiral.
- exit well - there is no point defending well and getting the ball just to kick it out just past the 22. We will need to take some risks and for those to come off.
- handle well to keep scrums to a minimum.
- make sure we keep the pace up - the game v NZ was played at SA's pace, we need to avoid that both by doing the above and by keeping the pressure on the ref to get on with it.