Game One - Scotland v South Africa

Moderator: OptimisticJock

septic 9

Re: Game One - Scotland v South Africa

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:55 pm Anyone seen any updates on Kinghorn or Graham?
Graham trained with medics last wee, expected to be available. Kinghorn to train this week. Toonie thinks he has a full squad to pick from

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/gregor-t ... and-squad/
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

My contact down there has just sent me a press release of their team. Not sure how genuine it is, as I can’t find it online, but from 1-15…

Kitshoff
Marx
Mahlerbe

Etztebeth
Snyman

Kolisi
Du Toit
Wiese
……
De Klerk
Libbok
Arendse
Esterhuizen
Moodie
Kolbe
Willemse

Subs (6-2)

Mbonambi
Nyakane
Nche
Mostert
Kwagga Smith
Duane Vermeulen
Grant Williams
Willie le Roux
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I mean they’re not going to have a bad team either way, but I’d be surprised at those outside backs. Moodie has only played 1 game at centre.

I imagine De Allende will start, though I think Esterhuizen is better. Not sure if his familiarity with Jones would be a plus or a minus.

That is an insane bench though, if that’s the way they’re going.

Vermeulen still seems to be the man at 8.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Snyman over Mostert would be a bit of a surprise for me and would suggest power over mobility. Libbok looks a good player, I'd have been happier with Willemse at ten and WLR at 15.

But it's going to be tough no matter who the 23 are.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

So his source was a load of schite! Real team out…
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well the pack was mostly right…

Let’s hope KLA doesn’t get too many chances to kick in behind Duhan.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

South Africa (versus Scotland on Sunday @ Stade de Marseill, kick-off 4.45pm): D Willemse; K Arendse, J Kriel, D de Allende, C Kolbe; M Libbok. F de Klerk; S Kitshoff, M Marx, F Malherbe, E Etzbetn, F Mosert, S Kolisi ©, P du Toit, J Weise. Substitutes: B Mbonami, O Nche, T Nyakane, R Snyman, M van Staden, D Vermeulen, G Williams, W Le Roux.

Gone back to experience in a few positions - particularly the centre partnership. Scotland team due on Friday.
AL.

Post by AL. »

Looks weak.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I can feel my Scottish roots kicking in (at least 1/4 of my ancestors, across both sides).

GO SCOTLAND!

Post by Mikey Brown »

Happy with that.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

The team pretty much picks itself although Jones and Sione seem to have swapped places. Thought Horne would been the better option as replacement 9 - are we going to be kicking more? Thought we would match the Boks 6/2 bench split - are they worried about Kinghorn and Darcy's fitness? Maybe Steyn would have been a better option? Nonetheless, I cannae wait.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’d rather end up with Kinghorn on the wing than Steyn/Graham at fullback. I figured the centre numbering was just a mistake but who knows.

I like Redpath on the bench but actually surprised they had the faith not to go for Harris just in case.

The pack is good but that’s a serious SA bench ours is going to have to deal with.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Redpath is a strange one in the fact that he hasn't featured, although I do rate him and happy to see him selected. I guess Smith will cover FB and wing. The perceived Boks weakness is under the high ball, so are we going to kick more? A massive game for the forwards, there's going to be some very sore bodies afterwards. Hoping for no cards, daft penalties or intercepts.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Jocky wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:54 pm The team pretty much picks itself although Jones and Sione seem to have swapped places. Thought Horne would been the better option as replacement 9 - are we going to be kicking more? Thought we would match the Boks 6/2 bench split - are they worried about Kinghorn and Darcy's fitness? Maybe Steyn would have been a better option? Nonetheless, I cannae wait.
It’s a typo, fixed now. Have to agree about Horne, we could really do with him if we’re chasing the game (as seems very likely).

Big D

Post by Big D »

Horne should be in the 23.

Rambo in France as cover due to Ashman being hurt.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:54 pmRambo in France as cover due to Ashman being hurt.
Poor guy.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jocky wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:16 pmRedpath is a strange one in the fact that he hasn't featured, although I do rate him and happy to see him selected.
Yeah it's strange because he's been involved in some of the big games but not had a start for quite a while now? I guess he's used to his bench role at least.
Jocky wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:16 pmThe perceived Boks weakness is under the high ball, so are we going to kick more? A massive game for the forwards, there's going to be some very sore bodies afterwards. Hoping for no cards, daft penalties or intercepts.
Yep, definitely can't afford to be giving away the sort of braindead points/possession/territory that we're used to. It's funny to think of us as a team targeting anybody under the high ball. I don't know why though.

I remember there was a stat Gatland brought out during the Lions, and a lot of questions around VDM's spot, that he doesn't field that many or retrieve his own kicks but virtually nobody makes a clean catch when he is the guy running at them. Strange as he routinely gets overexcited and flies past people when trying to make a big hit, but I guess his presence is off-putting enough.

The potential 1-on-1s with Darcy and either of the SA wingers are exciting.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Horne is injured. Him and Ashman got concussed in training.

The only real talking point is the bench. I've been won over by 6-2 a bit recently after previously not liking it but can see why they've gone for 5-3, especially with the injuries Graham and Kinghorn have had. You also don't want to end up with a makeshift centre if you are relying on your backs. Another factor is that, as MB has been suggesting, there's no point taking off one of your best for someone less good (in that position at least) just to match SA's bomb squad.

One other thing that has been on my mind. You see lots of pundits and comments talking about "discipline" and how we can't afford to be giving away lots of penalties. I think discipline is the wrong word here. We will no doubt give away one or two stupid ones but the penalty count is more likely to be a symptom rather than (or, at least, as well as) a cause if we lose. If we get dominated in contact and at the breakdown we will give away loads of penalties, likewise at scrum time and then in turn at the mail's. We need to be focusing on being strong in those areas and the penalties will sort themselves. Yes, I get that you need to be disciplined in your decision-making when to compete etc. but it is a bit stupid when a team gives away ten penalties from the other side dominating at the breakdown and all the talk is of a lack of discipline.
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

AL. wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:13 pmLooks weak.
Hahaha. Not seen that statement in a while.

Hahaha
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Is anyone else 💩ing it?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm Is anyone else 💩ing it?
Massively. Starting this one behind the sofa.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

BaldiePete wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm Is anyone else 💩ing it?
Yuuuuup.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Oh gods...
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

SA defence is so aggressive and there is so much pressure. Not sure if it's legal or not but it's intense.