France v All Blacks

Moderator: morepork

Lizard

France v All Blacks

Post by Lizard »

No J Barrett. No Retallick. No Frizell.

Who exactly is going to carry the ball for us?

The French are a bit understaffed, too, but I they’ll have an extra 80,000 on their side in the stands. I can’t see 2007 happening again.

Jaco Peyper has the whistle. Let’s hope he has a good one and we get the spectacle the occasion deserves.
Eugene Wrayburn

Re: France v All Blacks

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Do you feel like this game is important in terms of winning the cup? Do you care whether you get SA or Ireland or Scotland in the QF? Or is it just important as a Test match?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:52 pm Do you feel like this game is important in terms of winning the cup? Do you care whether you get SA or Ireland or Scotland in the QF? Or is it just important as a Test match?
First, all tests are important. The biggest damage the Foster era has done is that the All Blacks are now seen as just another team, beatable by any other team in the top rank. The sooner we start to rebuild from that the better.

Secondly, France at world cups is kind of a sore point. It would be very bad if the 2011 final was a blip and we can’t establish dominance in these fixtures.

Thirdly, regardless of who we get in a QF, losses in our 2 most recent hard games, followed by matches v Namibia, Italy and Uruguay, will be piss poor preparation.

So, winning v France is not important in terms of getting the most favourably specific QF opponent, but it is important in every other way.

Post by J Dory »

Important to get some mojo back IMO. QF will be tough regardless.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Two good, hard jobbings in a row will be difficult to come back from. We need to front up here. I really don't know how we can contain them. Alldritt, Danty, Dupont...they can front up and throw it about. We can't afford to be too structured, which leaves me nervous about Sam's Cane's leadership. I don't think we have an answer to them and I just hope there is enough left in the damn the torpedoes locker of a few individuals to make them nervous. Bench will be a massive factor.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Danty is out, and a massive miss for their defensive system.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Excellent
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Bonne chance les bleus!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

How was Scott Barrett cleared for this game??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66734422
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Banquo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:26 pm How was Scott Barrett cleared for this game??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66734422
No further sanction, with the red card being deemed sufficient punishment. I presume this was because he got a red for two yellows. The second yellow was reviewed in the bunker and determined to only be a yellow so it wasn’t upgraded to red. If he hadn’t had the first yellow he’d have been free to return to play after his 10 minutes on the naughty step. Very dodgy, I was very surprised the 2nd yellow wasn’t upgraded to a red.
cashead

Post by cashead »

The ruling was that
1. He entered the ruck at reasonable speed
2. He didn't enter the ruck late
3. Marx didn't suffer any injury, and all things considered, was fine
4. The initial point of contact was Marx's arm, which slid up
5. He was clumsy, not malicious

Considering his priors, I thought he'd be sitting out a couple of weeks, but apparently not.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

All Blacks match-day squad
Beauden Barrett
Will Jordan
Rieko Ioane
Anton Lienert-Brown
Mark Telea
Richie Mo'unga
Aaron Smith
Ardie Savea
Sam Cane (captain)
Dalton Papali'i
Scott Barrett
Sam Whitelock
Nepo Laulala
Codie Taylor
Ethan de Groot.

Replacements: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Tupou Vaa'i, Luke Jacobson, Finlay Christie, David Havili, Leicester Fainga'anuku.

Not a bad XV, but no-one is worried about our flankers, especiaily Captain 60 Minutes. I hipe ALB hits the groubnd running. Bench looks thin.

Post by francoisfou »

With all the hype and build-up over the last few weeks, we’re 24 hours away from the match and the expectation among us French fans is at fever pitch, and a 3-0 win would be just great!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Don't say those things. Not now man. A single feckin drop goal would be....somewhat of a let down.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Looks like Sky Sport has hired a fucking comedian in their scheduling team:
12:20 AM: Full replay of NZ v France RWC1999
2:20 AM: Full replay of NZ v France RWC2007
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

That is quite funny tbf
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Lizard wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:52 am
Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:52 pm Do you feel like this game is important in terms of winning the cup? Do you care whether you get SA or Ireland or Scotland in the QF? Or is it just important as a Test match?
First, all tests are important. The biggest damage the Foster era has done is that the All Blacks are now seen as just another team, beatable by any other team in the top rank. The sooner we start to rebuild from that the better.

Secondly, France at world cups is kind of a sore point. It would be very bad if the 2011 final was a blip and we can’t establish dominance in these fixtures.

Thirdly, regardless of who we get in a QF, losses in our 2 most recent hard games, followed by matches v Namibia, Italy and Uruguay, will be piss poor preparation.

So, winning v France is not important in terms of getting the most favourably specific QF opponent, but it is important in every other way.
And we have never lost a pool match. Another record for Foster to break? His comments in the BBC piece talking about building to the quarters seems worrying
16th man

Post by 16th man »

canta_brian wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:33 am
Lizard wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:52 am

And we have never lost a pool match. Another record for Foster to break? His comments in the BBC piece talking about building to the quarters seems worrying
But, given the insanity that is that side of the draw, reasonably sensible?
cashead

Post by cashead »

I'd love to know what Fuckwit Fozzie's half time team talk was. Must've been a hell of a speech to replace everyone's brains with literal shit.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Fucking Ian Foster, absolutely useless cunt. Should never have been appointed, and fired at least three times over now.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Can't win em all. We're still in this thing, would love to see NZ France final.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

J Dory wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:17 am Can't win em all. We're still in this thing, would love to see NZ France final.
No, you wouldn't ;)
morepork

Post by morepork »

francoisfou wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:03 pm
J Dory wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:17 am Can't win em all. We're still in this thing, would love to see NZ France final.
No, you wouldn't ;)
How very dare you.

Actually, the final we would deep in our hearts like to see is SA France. Power Vs. Power multiplied by X-factor = absorbing contest. ABs have neither scary power nor scary X-factor and I think are going to be plucky little triers in the knockout stages at this World Cup. Unfortunately. Such is life.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Quarterfinalists, first team to lose to the Irish at that stage. Another record for Foster and his All Blacks In Name Only!
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

cashead wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:05 pm Quarterfinalists, first team to lose to the Irish at that stage. Another record for Foster and his All Blacks In Name Only!
I think we’ve got First Loss To Italy before that.