RWC Opposition Watch

Moderator: OptimisticJock

switchskier

RWC Opposition Watch

Post by switchskier »

I saw the names and got worried about Tonga. Then I saw their warm up results and relaxed. Now I'm worried again.
Got some sleep

Re: RWC Opposition Watch

Post by Got some sleep »

Yes, I've been expecting a lot from all the Pacific Islands. Disappointed for Fiji, and Tonga could decide our group. Unlucky that one try they conceded had a forward pass and another had obstruction at the line-out. Surprised the TMO missed both (or do I need to open my other eye?).
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Ah, I think we'll beat Tonga though could do with a good start. However we could really do with Ireland beating SA now (or Ireland thrashing SA). Would hate to go into our final game needing a bonus point.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:17 am Ah, I think we'll beat Tonga though could do with a good start. However we could really do with Ireland beating SA now (or Ireland thrashing SA). Would hate to go into our final game needing a bonus point.
I haven’t really done the maths. Wouldn’t we want SA to win? Surely topping the group is out of reach after no LBP against SA?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:23 am
Cameo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:17 am Ah, I think we'll beat Tonga though could do with a good start. However we could really do with Ireland beating SA now (or Ireland thrashing SA). Would hate to go into our final game needing a bonus point.
I haven’t really done the maths. Wouldn’t we want SA to win? Surely topping the group is out of reach after no LBP against SA?
Sorry, was a typo. Yes, want SA to beat Ireland so if we beat Ireland we have won all but one whereas they will have lost two.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

So Eng stumble their way to a 2nd win.

Fiji beat a fairly lacklustre Aus.

All other results pretty much as expected.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Boks going for a 7/1 bench split against Ireland. Think Ireland know what's coming.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

South Africa beat Ireland, Scotland beat Ireland, au revoir Ireland. Possible? Of course!
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but to give ourselves a chance, the only scenario we don't want is to need a BP win.
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:53 am South Africa beat Ireland, Scotland beat Ireland, au revoir Ireland. Possible? Of course!
Or Ireland beat South Africa with a bonus point, you beat everyone else with a bonus point, you and Ireland go through with 15 points and South Africa go home with 14. Simple.

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

[marq=]
Puja wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:26 am
francoisfou wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:53 am South Africa beat Ireland, Scotland beat Ireland, au revoir Ireland. Possible? Of course!
Or Ireland beat South Africa with a bonus point, you beat everyone else with a bonus point, you and Ireland go through with 15 points and South Africa go home with 14. Simple.

Puja
Why do Ireland need to get a bonus point. We can go through on 15 and let Ireland and South Africa fight it out for second on 14. Then we only have the All Blacks in the quarters and our run to the final is clear.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:06 pm [marq=]

Puja
Why do Ireland need to get a bonus point. We can go through on 15 and let Ireland and South Africa fight it out for second on 14. Then we only have the All Blacks in the quarters and our run to the final is clear.
Good point; hadn't considered that. Probably best; you do want to avoid the French if possible. And why settle for New Zealand in the quarters, when Italy are only one victory away?

Piuja
Backist Monk
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Puja wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:54 pm
Cameo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:06 pm [marq=]

Puja
Good point; hadn't considered that. Probably best; you do want to avoid the French if possible. And why settle for New Zealand in the quarters, when Italy are only one victory away?

Piuja
Because we’re Scotland. We’d do all that then lose to Italy.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Could somebody tell me what we want here, please? In a bar in DC drinking with some of the Old Glory boys!

If Ireland win but SA get a BP, it’s basically curtains for us unless we beat Ireland and score 4 tries, right?
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

We have to beat Ireland with a BP now?
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Well, if we weren't fwcked before, we are now
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

We have to get BP wins over Tonga and Romania. Then beat Ireland and deny them any BP. We don’t need to get one. We’d both be on 14 points and the deciding factor is the head to head result so we’d go through.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Jocky

Post by Jocky »

We have to beat Ireland and deny them a losing bonus point. We would levevel on points and then it would be decided on the head to head. I think we all knew this would be a possibility. It was always going to be tough and that's why losing the first game without a bonus point was always going to be tough. It's the harshness of the draw but it is what it is. I don't have a lot of faith but our boys needs to prove me wrong. I will be supporting them no matter what. Boks paying the price for not having a decent kicker? A wake up call for them?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I'd say paying the price for continuing to kick at goal without a decent kicker. You're right though, I suspect Pollard will come back in now. Generally, I thought they looked good though.

We are a bit screwed. It's hard to see us beating Ireland either with a bonus point or while denying them one.

In a way, as long as we get bonus points (no guarantee tomorrow), then points difference doesn't matter any more (unless SA don't get a bonus point v Tonga I think).
Got some sleep

Post by Got some sleep »

It is pretty weird that, having played one game, we know exactly what we need to qualify.
Got some sleep

Post by Got some sleep »

Sorry if that's disrespectful to Tonga, but I don't see them beating SA.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

It's why it felt like we were virtually out after the first game - that was always going to be the case, but even beating Ireland didn't guarantee us a quarter final place. It couldn't be more difficult. Like I said it is what it is and we need to show what we are capable of. This is our moment otherwise it's what was expected. We need to give ourselves that opportunity against Ireland and that starts tomorrow. Anything less and we're fucked and don't deserve it anyway.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 pm I'd say paying the price for continuing to kick at goal without a decent kicker. You're right though, I suspect Pollard will come back in now. Generally, I thought they looked good though.

We are a bit screwed. It's hard to see us beating Ireland either with a bonus point or while denying them one.

In a way, as long as we get bonus points (no guarantee tomorrow), then points difference doesn't matter any more (unless SA don't get a bonus point v Tonga I think).
I think SA will bring Pollard in and do well the rest of the RWC.

I think we just get our head down and be professional against Tonga and Romania and then put in a performance v Ireland to be proud of and what will be will be.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Permutations here.