South Africa v Ireland (Sat/Sun)

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

Sandydragon

Re: South Africa v Ireland (Sat/Sun)

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:10 pm
canta_brian wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:07 pm If I was Irish, I would be slightly worried that SA had so many chances to win that.
Yeah, they would have if they could kick straight. Can't get away with it at that level.
Exactly right. I suspect the Bokke management will think hard on that. They need a proper goal kicker in the mix somewhere.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

That was a joy. Thrilling stuff all round. SA look pretty handy in the backs these days, Pollard would dull it back down again.

Front rows everywhere will be having nightmares about Nayakane and Nche coming on, Fourie not so much. Ref got most things right though.

Well done Ire, tremendous stuff, proper game. But irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. 2007 Eng showed it’s not over yet.
Last edited by Beasties on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

That was brutal and totally absorbing. Both sides going at it full bore. SA will be disappointed to lose but Ireland showed tremendous resolve. The workrate and low error count from all the players was quite something.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Donny osmond wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:06 pm This is clearly going to be brutal, epic, compulsive viewing.... but will it be attractive rugby or 'one for the purists' as crap meat-head based rugby is euphemistically known.
Ok it was actually pretty good. Coulda done with a Finn Russell type player tho.
p/d

Post by p/d »

fivepointer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:52 am That was brutal and totally absorbing. Both sides going at it full bore. SA will be disappointed to lose but Ireland showed tremendous resolve. The workrate and low error count from all the players was quite something.
This. So enthralling. Just can’t see a flaw in Ireland and their mental strength from the coaching team downwards should see them lift the cup
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Great game. Did feel SA got unlucky with a couple of decisions in the later game, but when it’s that tight it’s hard not to not-pick a bit.

Incredibly complete performance from Ireland - after Scotland softened SA up a bit, of course.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

A key moment for me was when the mighty Etzebeth was picked up like a rag doll by Lowe and pals to gain an impressive turnover! I watched the game in the excellent Toulouse Fanzone with supporters of all countries contributing to an amazing rugby experience. Back again later today to cheer for Scotland and Wales !
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

francoisfou wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 am A key moment for me was when the mighty Etzebeth was picked up like a rag doll by Lowe and pals to gain an impressive turnover! I watched the game in the excellent Toulouse Fanzone with supporters of all countries contributing to an amazing rugby experience. Back again later today to cheer for Scotland and Wales !
I don’t think Etzeban is quite the player he was, but that was still one hell of a tackle.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 am Great game. Did feel SA got unlucky with a couple of decisions in the later game, but when it’s that tight it’s hard not to not-pick a bit.

Incredibly complete performance from Ireland - after Scotland softened SA up a bit, of course.
TBF they deserved to get a bit of the shitty end of the stick for getting away with this:

16th man

Post by 16th man »

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:08 am
francoisfou wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 am A key moment for me was when the mighty Etzebeth was picked up like a rag doll by Lowe and pals to gain an impressive turnover! I watched the game in the excellent Toulouse Fanzone with supporters of all countries contributing to an amazing rugby experience. Back again later today to cheer for Scotland and Wales !
I don’t think Etzeban is quite the player he was, but that was still one hell of a tackle.
Absolutely exemplary demonstration of technique over size.

Th\ere will have been a few confused RR alumni, trying to get their heads around being able to tackle someone like that even if you aren't 2 stone heavier than them.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

16th man wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 amTBF they deserved to get a bit of the shitty end of the stick for getting away with this:
I'm going to make a prediction - when Rassie releases a video complaining about how SA were robbed by the ref; he won't mention this bit.
Puja

Post by Puja »

16th man wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:58 am Great game. Did feel SA got unlucky with a couple of decisions in the later game, but when it’s that tight it’s hard not to not-pick a bit.

TBF they deserved to get a bit of the shitty end of the stick for getting away with this:

Tweet is deleted apparently. What did they get away with?

Puja
Backist Monk
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Ox deliberately standing on vdfs hand, not much to it just a bit shitty
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:21 pmTweet is deleted apparently. What did they get away with?

Looks probably deliberate to me, but plenty of plausible deniability. I am sure it won't be cited though.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

canta_brian wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:07 pm If I was Irish, I would be slightly worried that SA had so many chances to win that.
No, no you wouldn't. You'd say " we won that despite being well off our best".

We won that despite being well off our best. If SA think it's in their interests to trade having a decent kicker for what the selected players bring then that's up to them. They might change their minds. They might start Pollard from here on in but doing so changes the threat ball in hand which brings different opportunities.

The position remains almost exactly what it was before that game. There are 4 teams who on their day can beat each other but who really shouldn't lose to anyone else. I now think if we play at our best it's probably only the French who can take us. Or the ABs playing a game we haven't yet seen from them but which they ought to be capable of looking at their players
paddy no 11 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 pm I'd still back France to beat South Africa
Yep. They can do everything the Boks can do and a bit more
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:27 pm

We won that despite being well off our best. If SA think it's in their interests to trade having a decent kicker for what the selected players bring then that's up to them. They might change their minds. They might start Pollard from here on in but doing so changes the threat ball in hand which brings different opportunities.

The position remains almost exactly what it was before that game. There are 4 teams who on their day can beat each other but who really shouldn't lose to anyone else. I now think if we play at our best it's probably only the French who can take us. Or the ABs playing a game we haven't yet seen from them but which they ought to be capable of looking at their players
paddy no 11 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 pm I'd still back France to beat South Africa
Are you sure about that though?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah that seems a bit OTT.

SA are fantastic at throwing sides off their game, Ireland were just strong enough to deal with it, but I don’t think that was them beating the Boks in third gear or anything.

Ireland will have more free flowing attack, but that was still a peak performance.

SA are brilliant right now and it was still a game of pretty fine margins. As others have said they could swap in a better goal kicker but risk losing out in other areas. I wouldn’t be surprised if they still go far, either way.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

It's definitely 50/50 with more variables to come

France will make this conversation redundant
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Yeah. Our handling was shocking. Our kicking from hand was worse at times. I'm not even talking about the backline slickness which will always suffer against the Boks. But just catching regulation passes. And similarly I'm not talking the charge downs which are down to pressure, but other kicks which should have been better.

Incidentally I think the same of South Africa. Some really uncharacteristic errors which just weren't down to any pressure we were putting on them.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:12 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Yeah. Our handling was shocking. Our kicking from hand was worse at times. I'm not even talking about the backline slickness which will always suffer against the Boks. But just catching regulation passes. And similarly I'm not talking the charge downs which are down to pressure, but other kicks which should have been better.

Incidentally I think the same of South Africa. Some really uncharacteristic errors which just weren't down to any pressure we were putting on them.
Yeah, it's been a few weeks now so details are hazy. My impression at the time was that Ireland were playing about as well as they could given SA pressure.