switchskier

Re: Game 3 : Scotland v Romania

Post by switchskier »

Take D'Arcy off now.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:08 pm :roll:
BaldiePete wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:05 pm So what score do we expect? I don’t think anyone doesn’t think we’ll get a BP win, but also we won’t get a 90 pointer like the ABs did last night. I would like at least a higher score than we got against Tonga, so breaking 50 and hopefully more. Also, I want them to play the full 80 and not slow down and drop the intensity when well ahead.
I hope this isn’t going to turn out to be an egregious example of hubris. :roll:

I needn’t have worried.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

switchskier wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:49 pm Take D'Arcy off now.
He’s captain of my fantasy team. Keep him on.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Yes yes yes yes yes

Yes
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:51 pm
switchskier wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:49 pm Take D'Arcy off now.
He’s captain of my fantasy team. Keep him on.
Mine too but my brother has him as triple captain...
Got some sleep

Post by Got some sleep »

Lizard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:55 am If you don’t put 70 on them, it’s a poor result.
Thanks for setting the goalposts
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Got some sleep wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:43 pm
Lizard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:55 am If you don’t put 70 on them, it’s a poor result.
Thanks for setting the goalposts
Healey knew where they were all night!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Really enjoyed that. A few real standout performances, as much as you can judge in a game like that. Some really concerning form in the front row and Fagerson’s drop-off though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

God I’m glad McGeechan isn’t coach.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:01 pm Really enjoyed that. A few real standout performances, as much as you can judge in a game like that. Some really concerning form in the front row and Fagerson’s drop-off though.
Neither of our front rows were very good in the scrum. It’ll be Schoeman, Turner and Fagerson to start next week but who on the bench? Sutherland over Bhatti but not sure at all about hooker or tighthead.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I'm paranoid about points difference and fear we might regret a few missed chances, but can't really complain. But of a shaky first 20 from Healy in particular I thought but fun after that. Lineout the only real worry going forward.

Was it just me who thought Graham didn't look quite 100%? Seemed to be hobbling a bit when chasing back a couple of times. Seems crazy to suggest when he got 4 tries. Maybe just a bit tired.

It also seems to be that they have secretly raised the threshold for a red card.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Also - doesn't need it's own thread but this is funny:

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Ha ha. Yep, Law 8.17: If the opposition touches the ball and the kick is successful, the goal stands.

I reckon I know who’s getting the first round in for Green though. That’ll learn him for being a smart arse halfback.

(LOL. My phone autocorrects “smartarse” to “smart Ardie”)

Post by switchskier »

Not much to take from that - Romania might be the worst team in the tournament. They lost their discipline in the first half but were occasionally just bamboozled into three men going for the same carrier and leaving a massive gap.

Graham is amazing but I really liked Redpath live. Always seemed to make good decisions and find weak shoulders where none should exist. Thought he added a lot and made Healy look acceptable.

Job done and onto the big one
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

switchskier wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:08 pm Not much to take from that - Romania might be the worst team in the tournament. They lost their discipline in the first half but were occasionally just bamboozled into three men going for the same carrier and leaving a massive gap.

Graham is amazing but I really liked Redpath live. Always seemed to make good decisions and find weak shoulders where none should exist. Thought he added a lot and made Healy look acceptable.

Job done and onto the big one
Yep.

I’m always banging on about him I know, but his ability to make the last-second pass at the gainline or use his footwork to break the gainline is fantastic. His metres beyond contact are always impressive for someone who doesn’t appear especially fast or powerful.

Healy was a very mixed bag but grew in to the game.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:31 pm Also - doesn't need it's own thread but this is funny:

That was outstanding. No question who Dick of the Day was for that team.

Puja
Backist Monk
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Who'll start between

Watson/darge
Darcy/steyn

And harris over redpath on bench?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

If anything it’s Steyn vs VDM. I don’t get why that question is even being asked, other than Darcy’s failure to give that pass vs SA.

I’d stick with Redpath on the bench. He’s playing better and I’d rather end up with ST at 13 than HJ at 12.

Is Darge realistic 8 cover? Fagerson doesn’t seem to be near top form and I wouldn’t be too upset if Watson started, though I think the commentary team were going a bit OTT about his performance.

Still not sure on the other backs spot.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:24 pm If anything it’s Steyn vs VDM. I don’t get why that question is even being asked, other than Darcy’s failure to give that pass vs SA.

I’d stick with Redpath on the bench. He’s playing better and I’d rather end up with ST at 13 than HJ at 12.

Is Darge realistic 8 cover? Fagerson doesn’t seem to be near top form and I wouldn’t be too upset if Watson started, though I think the commentary team were going a bit OTT about his performance.

I agree, I'd start Steyn and Darcey. Because I think they've been playing better, but also an angry DVDM coming off the bench feels like something that could work.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Donny osmond wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:07 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:24 pm If anything it’s Steyn vs VDM. I don’t get why that question is even being asked, other than Darcy’s failure to give that pass vs SA.

I agree, I'd start Steyn and Darcey. Because I think they've been playing better, but also an angry DVDM coming off the bench feels like something that could work.
Yeah there has to be something more VDM can do to get in the game. Not sure how much it is tactical or the way he plays.

I know we want to keep our width to stretch defences but we hardly ever get a clean pass out to him that doesn’t have him take the ball standing still. He takes the occasional inside ball off 10 but rarely seems to get involved through the middle off phase play. Why is he never the guy running the short line off Tuipulotu?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

DVDM only covers one position so can we really put him on the bench. He’s either starting or not in the 23 for me. I’d start him and have Steyn on the bench.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

To be honest I’d still probably start him for the potential of a freakish try like vs England. But if there’s other versatile players on the pitch I don’t see the issue with having a pure winger on the bench.

It’s not like I’d particularly want to see Steyn end up at centre/fullback anyway.

I still have no idea whether Kinghorn is really trusted as 10 cover or Healy on the bench would be a wasted spot.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I think VDM should start. He might not pop up all over the pitch as instinctively as Steyn or Graham, but he gets involved plenty. He must be one of our top metre makers. I know Ireland have dealt with him quite well before, but if I was them I would be delighted if he wasn't playing.

On Darge vs Watson, I think Darge has been a little less influential as we haven't been looking for turnovers as much - we seem to be looking to hold up the ball carrier a bit more to slow things down. But I dont think Watson bouncing off Romanians really tells us anything we didn't know.

I think Kinghorn is 10 cover. Healy could be useful in a particular situation (a nice lead) but I think that's unlikely.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Darge played 8 for the U20s to accommodate Boyle.. I think he is such a talent he could play anywhere. And like Barclay end up as an excellent 8

As to Darcy,,.....,,.,.......everyone says we need to be clinical and convert every chance against Ireland. Darcy failed badly with the non pass v SA. He also blew a couple v Romania trying to score himself. Lad is a genius but there is a question mark.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:08 am

Darge played 8 for the U20s to accommodate Boyle.. I think he is such a talent he could play anywhere. And like Barclay end up as an excellent 8

As to Darcy,,.....,,.,.......everyone says we need to be clinical and convert every chance against Ireland. Darcy failed badly with the non pass v SA. He also blew a couple v Romania trying to score himself. Lad is a genius but there is a question mark.
Steyn doesn't get in position to attempt that pass though. Really solid honest player but Darcy is a level above in everything. Picking solid won't beat Ireland, and losing by 3 is the same as losing by 14. We have to be brave enough to gamble.

Redpath on the bench for me but the other option is Kinghorn to ten and Russell to 12 of we're chasing the game, with Smith on the bench.