Quarter final

Moderator: Sandydragon

Sandydragon

Quarter final

Post by Sandydragon »

It’s looking like the Argentinians have held off a lively Japanese side so we face them next. Based on today’s game, they have improved significantly compared to their horror show against England.

I think our first choice team now picks itself. But Faletau injury almost certainly means Wainwright to no8, which will change the balance of our BR.

So do we go for two open sides and hope for breakdown dominance, a big tackler like Lydiate who can chip down their forwards, or take a punt on Tshiunza who could offer more in the lineout?

I’m assuming the rest of the team, injury permitting, will be as for Australia.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Re: Quarter final

Post by UKHamlet »

It is Argentina and they pose more of threat out wide than I previously thought. They looked really good with ball in hand. Better than Fiji? Nope. Their set piece doesn't look all that, so I doubt we'll have problems at scrum time. In the loose, they move the ball in an effective blend of direct physical running and wide movement at the right moment. If we can slow their ball, we'll win. So, I would go for a powerful, balanced back row. Jac, Aaron, and Tommy.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Lydiate has just returned home for the birth of a child so I’m guessing that rules him firmly out of contention, also noting that he hasn’t featured for weeks so would be a bit rusty to pitch straight in.

I think it’s almost certain to be the double open side combo with Basham on the bench.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Watching Argentina Japan, I think we'll ask a lot more of Argentina than Japan did.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

Buggaluggs wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:09 pm Watching Argentina Japan, I think we'll ask a lot more of Argentina than Japan did.
We should have more of a defense too
normanski

Post by normanski »

While Argentina have two lively wings I think we have two just as good if not better.

Our structured defence ought to be able to slow or stop them gaining real momentum.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Ross. S wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:17 pm
Buggaluggs wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:09 pm Watching Argentina Japan, I think we'll ask a lot more of Argentina than Japan did.
We should have more of a defense too
Absolutely. We should keep them to 12-17 points. And we should be putting 25+ on them. Still. Wouldn't be the biggest upset if it goes against us, and they are much improved from their effort against England.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:06 pm Lydiate has just returned home for the birth of a child so I’m guessing that rules him firmly out of contention, also noting that he hasn’t featured for weeks so would be a bit rusty to pitch straight in.

I think it’s almost certain to be the double open side combo with Basham on the bench.
It pains me but I'm coming around to the Morgan, Reffell, Wainwright option. I hate to see Morgan moved from 7 but with no other great 6 options (I don't think Lydiate or Tshiunza are playing at the right level), and Reffell playing so well, I think it might be the best way to go.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:05 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:06 pm Lydiate has just returned home for the birth of a child so I’m guessing that rules him firmly out of contention, also noting that he hasn’t featured for weeks so would be a bit rusty to pitch straight in.

It pains me but I'm coming around to the Morgan, Reffell, Wainwright option. I hate to see Morgan moved from 7 but with no other great 6 options (I don't think Lydiate or Tshiunza are playing at the right level), and Reffell playing so well, I think it might be the best way to go.
Yeah, right now Tshiunza just isn’t doing the business whereas Reffell was very tidy yesterday.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Our best #6 is now also our best #8, and our 2nd- and 3rd-best #7s are way better than our 2nd-best #6. You can't play everyone in their best position when that is true.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Morgan has been great at 6 for Wales in the past so I would have no qualms about playing both together, if we can slow their breakdown then we should be in a good position to dominate defensively.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Numbers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:39 pm Morgan has been great at 6 for Wales in the past so I would have no qualms about playing both together, if we can slow their breakdown then we should be in a good position to dominate defensively.
News from the Wales camp tonight is that Biggar, Liam Williams and Anscombe are likely to be available for Saturday’s game.

If Liam hadn’t made it it would have been interesting to see if LRZ went to full back with Adams and Dyer on the wings.

Sir Clive has been pontificating in the Daily Mail saying he’s been impressed with Wales and expects us to make the semis - I hope that isn’t the kiss of death for us!
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Looks like Argentina have their own back row woes, with Matera ruled out with injury.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:41 pm
Numbers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:39 pm Morgan has been great at 6 for Wales in the past so I would have no qualms about playing both together, if we can slow their breakdown then we should be in a good position to dominate defensively.
News from the Wales camp tonight is that Biggar, Liam Williams and Anscombe are likely to be available for Saturday’s game.

If Liam hadn’t made it it would have been interesting to see if LRZ went to full back with Adams and Dyer on the wings.

Sir Clive has been pontificating in the Daily Mail saying he’s been impressed with Wales and expects us to make the semis - I hope that isn’t the kiss of death for us!
Argentinian coach suggesting that we are clear favourites for the weekend. Not convinced it’s that clear cut, but I am optimistic.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I’m optimistic too, but Argentina haven’t played that well so far and I hope that on Saturday they don’t have a big game in them.

In our favour, it looks as if we will have all our first choice players available (Taulupe excepted) and we have a seven day turnaround against Argentina’s six days.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Likely team: Liam Wlliams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Nick Tompkins, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Gareth Thomas, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Adam Beard, Jac Morgan (c), Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Dewi Lake, Corey Domachowski, Henry Thomas, Dafydd Jenkins, Taine Basham, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Rio Dyer.

According to the Fail. Halfpenny to come in if Liam not fit.
normanski

Post by normanski »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:37 am Likely team: Liam Wlliams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Nick Tompkins, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Gareth Thomas, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Adam Beard, Jac Morgan (c), Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Dewi Lake, Corey Domachowski, Henry Thomas, Dafydd Jenkins, Taine Basham, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Rio Dyer.

That side has grown to know each other and the way they play over the past few months. It’s now in their hands to deliver a result on Saturday.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Jaco Peyper will be the ref for Wales v Argentina.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Argentina main failing has been ball carriers getting disconnected from support and conceding turnovers, refell will have a field day and should be picked.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:37 am Likely team: Liam Wlliams; Louis Rees-Zammit, George North, Nick Tompkins, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Gareth Thomas, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Adam Beard, Jac Morgan (c), Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

I would not disagree with that team.

Only hooker and one back row slot worth discussing. I think starting with Elias and having the power of Lake to come on from the bench does look the best choice. (It is also slightly less risky from the throwing in point of view.)

Given that Morgan and Wainwright are certainties, Reffel seems the best bet for the third slot. I am not bothered by the numbers on the back of the shirt, it is a question on whether they can function as a unit.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Sourdust wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:46 pm Our best #6 is now also our best #8, and our 2nd- and 3rd-best #7s are way better than our 2nd-best #6. You can't play everyone in their best position when that is true.
I believe this to be a spot on summary.

Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Graigwen wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:37 am

I would not disagree with that team.

Only hooker and one back row slot worth discussing. I think starting with Elias and having the power of Lake to come on from the bench does look the best choice. (It is also slightly less risky from the throwing in point of view.)

Given that Morgan and Wainwright are certainties, Reffel seems the best bet for the third slot. I am not bothered by the numbers on the back of the shirt, it is a question on whether they can function as a unit.
If he's fit I'd start Anscombe. And I'm still not completely convinced by Lake - I'd have Dee on the bench. But pretty much as strong a team as we can put together. They'll get the job done.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I do hope so SoM. If we do get through there’s a couple of titans waiting next. Both Ireland and the Blacks look ominously good.

Two months ago I was hoping we could get out of the group stage. That hope has been fulfilled with a little style and tenacity. We’re now looking at a possible semi final game - far better than most of of us believed we could achieve.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Reading on BBC sport that Anscombe and Williams are " not yet ruled out" of selection which sounds a bit less positive than "available for selection" as declared yesterday. However, both are jogging in training and will be assessed before the team's announced on Thursday ( or whenever they suddenly decide to move the team announcement to this time.)
normanski

Post by normanski »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:41 pm Reading on BBC sport that Anscombe and Williams are " not yet ruled out" of selection which sounds a bit less positive than "available for selection" as declared yesterday. However, both are jogging in training and will be assessed before the team's announced on Thursday ( or whenever they suddenly decide to move the team announcement to this time.)
Perhaps it’s Gatland playing mind games with Argentina. They don’t know who will be playing FB - Liam, Halfpenny or even LRZ.

Similarly, Biggar, Anscombe or even Costelow at outside half.

Two pivotal positions to keep the Argentinans guessing.

And I bet he will delay the squad announcement until the last minute.