Portugal - Fiji

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

switchskier

Portugal - Fiji

Post by switchskier »

Is noone watching this madness?

That Portuguese openside needs snapped up by someone soon.
morepork

Re: Portugal - Fiji

Post by morepork »

he is a fucking monster.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

switchskier wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:10 pm Is noone watching this madness?

That Portuguese openside needs snapped up by someone soon.
Yes!! Crazy end to end game, with a probable red card for Botha. Wonder if Eddie’s watching?
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Just tuned in and saw the Botia challenge.
Yellow remains, prob correct decision. The winger’s split second change of direction gave Botia zero chance to alter his tackle, and he remained able to continue.

I love watching Portugal, they play with such spirit and no little ability.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

They've got some serious speed on the wings too and have evidently identified the fijian wingers don't turn well. Wonder if England will be smart enough to do the same, assuming that Fiji survive this.

That was an utterly brainless penalty for your captain to give away.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Blatant holding down by Botia there, hey ho.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Get in!!
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Brilliant from Portugal! Superb!

What is it about these sunday night games?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Superb stuff, well done Portugal
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Perfect end result, Portugal get their win and Fiji go through. So pleased for both but especially Portugal, given how the Georgia game ended.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Absolutely fantastic seeing the joy they’ve got from that.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

Epic win by Portugal. Don't think anyone saw that coming. On another note, either England or Fiji are going to have a SF against the winner of SA v France. Thats going to be an absolute tuning
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Wonderful game. Stevie Blunder and Captain Farrell, I hope you watched that!
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I only saw the second half but am so happy for Portugal to have got the win. Their joy at winning was just wonderful.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Ross. S wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:55 pm Epic win by Portugal. Don't think anyone saw that coming. On another note, either England or Fiji are going to have a SF against the winner of SA v France. Thats going to be an absolute tuning
On the evidence of this weekend, England v Fiji will be down to who is slightly less shite.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

That was epic. I was so pleased for Portugal. Fantastic win. Fiji completely bottled that game. Skill > Muscularity

The pool of Meth
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Is it fanciful to suggest that Portugal would have more of a chance against England than Fiji?

A fortnight ago I was licking my lips at the prospect of Fiji tearing England a new one in the QFs, but they have fallen off a fucking cliff.

It's a shame Portugal weren't in a position to twist the knife: The prospect of an Eng v Aus cripple fight for the honour of getting a thermonuclear colonoscopy from France is hilarious.

Unbelievable stones from the Portuguese to pull that one back, after what had looked like a standard brave minnow collapse. Amazing scenes at the end and I hope they get a parade in Lisbon for their efforts.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Fantastic match. High drama. Pretty heart-stopping drama for Aussie viewers.

England can chill a little now, unless Fiji get their shit together fast I can see SB's heroes winning that cripple fight.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Just when I was beginning to come round to the idea of a 16 team world cup too. I wish the teams who were going to overperform let us know in advance so we could let in Portugal and Uruguay and not Romania and Namibia.

Just joking, but great to see.

Looked like Fiji had made a few changes. Is that right? Intriguing QF lined up now (though can't help being a bit bitter as a Scotland fan!).
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Ross. S wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:55 pm Epic win by Portugal. Don't think anyone saw that coming. On another note, either England or Fiji are going to have a SF against the winner of SA v France. Thats going to be an absolute tuning
I have a strong feeling that the semi finals could both be absolute hammerings. We could
Mention the draw again but we all know that three years is too early to select the pools. We had this issue in 2015 (no one really seemed to give a toss then)
But now it’s been noticed. Pick the pools the year before, much fairer.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:26 am
I have a strong feeling that the semi finals could both be absolute hammerings. We could
Mention the draw again but we all know that three years is too early to select the pools. We had this issue in 2015 (no one really seemed to give a toss then)
Which was kind of strange really because it led to England going out early. World rugby usually considers an early exit by the host nation to be a bad thing.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

We had this issue in 2015 (no one really seemed to give a toss then)
Yep, in 2015 it was just "Oh well, guess Wales are going home early then LOL!"

It's been much the same for poor Scotland this time, the difference being that now there's a genuine QF threat to the "big boys", it's suddenly a scandal.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:47 amWorld rugby usually considers an early exit by the host nation to be a bad thing.
They're going to be super pissed in 2027 then :lol:
Son of Mathonwy

Also shuffle the teams more at the quarterfinal stage so one side of the draw isn't completely separate from the other ie
Winner A plays RU B
Winner B plays RU C
Winner C plays RU D
Winner D plays RU A
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:37 pm
Also shuffle the teams more at the quarterfinal stage so one side of the draw isn't completely separate from the other ie
Winner A plays RU B
Winner B plays RU C
Winner C plays RU D
Winner D plays RU A
Well, that's not really how seeding works, all they need to do is what they will be doing and take the seedings from a closer time to the event