Quarter final - France v South Africa

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

francoisfou

Quarter final - France v South Africa

Post by francoisfou »

This is the Springboks side:

15. Willemse ; 14. Arendse, 13. Kriel, 12. de Allende, 11. Kolbe ; 10. Libbok, 9. Reinach ; 7. du Toit, 8. Vermeulen, 6. Kolisi (cap.) ; 5. Mostert, 4. Etzebeth ; 3. Malherbe, 2. Mbonambi, 1. Kitshoff.

16. Fourie, 17. Nché, 18. Koch, 19. Snyman, 20. Smith, 21. de Klerk, 22. Pollard, 23. Le Roux.

Vermeulen preferred to Wiese, who isn't even in the matchday squad, and Libbok starting instead of Pollard, I hadn't been expecting.

Libbok's goal kicking isn't consistent and de Klerk and Pollard are only on the bench. A stand-in replacement hooker could also cost them dear.

The French side should be announced at about lunchtime. I think and dearly hope that France will win, but this'll be an intensely physical game in which the HIA team will be stretched to the limits.
francoisfou

Re: Quarter final - France v South Africa

Post by francoisfou »

And here’s the French team, which is as expected, with the inclusion of Captain Dupont. It’s a shame that Julien Marchand isn’t fit, as he’d have relished confronting the Boks forwards, but Mauvaka is an excellent player, as is replacement hooker Bougarit(what a great name!)

15. Ramos ; 14. Penaud, 13. Fickou, 12. Danty, 11. Bielle-Biarrey; 10. Jalibert, 9. Dupont (cap.) ; 7. Ollivon, 8. Alldritt, 6. Jelonch ; 5. Flament, 4. Woki ; 3. Atonio, 2. Mauvaka, 1. Baille.

16. Bourgarit, 17. Wardi, 18. Aldegheri, 19. Taofifenua, 20. Cros, 21. Macalou, 22. Lucu, 23. Moefana. France by 15! 🇫🇷
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:48 am And here’s the French team, which is as expected, with the inclusion of Captain Dupont. It’s a shame that Julien Marchand isn’t fit, as he’d have relished confronting the Boks forwards, but Mauvaka is an excellent player, as is replacement hooker Bougarit(what a great name!)

15. Ramos ; 14. Penaud, 13. Fickou, 12. Danty, 11. Bielle-Biarrey; 10. Jalibert, 9. Dupont (cap.) ; 7. Ollivon, 8. Alldritt, 6. Jelonch ; 5. Flament, 4. Woki ; 3. Atonio, 2. Mauvaka, 1. Baille.

16. Bourgarit, 17. Wardi, 18. Aldegheri, 19. Taofifenua, 20. Cros, 21. Macalou, 22. Lucu, 23. Moefana. France by 15! 🇫🇷
Ballsy facing :) SA with a semi broken cheek bone—- can expect that to be tested early doors.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:39 pmBallsy facing :) SA with a semi broken cheek bone—- can expect that to be tested early doors.
I guess the answer to that is "we welcome the opportunity to play against 14 men"

And Antoine - remember, leave the rucking to your forwards - even if it means risking a turn-over.

Quite honestly though - this was always the match he was expected to be back for, just so long as the fracture was simple. 3 weeks for his injury is bang-on the recommended recovery.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:40 pm
Banquo wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:39 pmBallsy facing :) SA with a semi broken cheek bone—- can expect that to be tested early doors.
I guess the answer to that is "we welcome the opportunity to play against 14 men"

And Antoine - remember, leave the rucking to your forwards - even if it means risking a turn-over.

Quite honestly though - this was always the match he was expected to be back for, just so long as the fracture was simple. 3 weeks for his injury is bang-on the recommended recovery.
Well I’m better informed- 4-6 weeks is what I thought I heard.

Also can test the recovery without getting carded- just run at him.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Looking forward to the confrontation between two top back rows here, and the midfield clash of Danty v deAllende. For me, Esterhuizen has looked the better SA 12 so far. He's just as powerful as deA (or moreso) but a better ball user.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Spiffy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:09 pm Looking forward to the confrontation between two top back rows here, and the midfield clash of Danty v deAllende. For me, Esterhuizen has looked the better SA 12 so far. He's just as powerful as deA (or moreso) but a better ball user.
DeAllende pretty underrated outside the people that matter (selectors) imo. Does all the centre jobs to a high standard.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Banquo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm
Spiffy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:09 pm Looking forward to the confrontation between two top back rows here, and the midfield clash of Danty v deAllende. For me, Esterhuizen has looked the better SA 12 so far. He's just as powerful as deA (or moreso) but a better ball user.
DeAllende pretty underrated outside the people that matter (selectors) imo. Does all the centre jobs to a high standard.
Just to be clear - I do rate DeAllende as a top centre who has proved his credentials time and again. My point was, at the moment, I'd rate Esterhuizen ahead. DeA good, Esterhuizen better. Some (many?) may disagree. Obviously including the SA coaches.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Spiffy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:04 am
Banquo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm
Just to be clear - I do rate DeAllende as a top centre who has proved his credentials time and again. My point was, at the moment, I'd rate Esterhuizen ahead. DeA good, Esterhuizen better. Some (many?) may disagree. Obviously including the SA coaches.
yus, 70 caps v 14. De Allende's deaffence is absolutely top of the range. I'd have both in my team a heartbeat (despite both being out and out 12's :))
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

This should be a humdinger.

I’m not even sure who I want to win. As a Kiwi, you never want to see the Boks win. But the brain says if we beat Argentina, South Africa will be less daunting than France at home in a RWC final.

Can’t wait.

Post by Insouciant »

Not sure who I want to win, I just hope it gets somewhere near the intensity and skill level of last night's game. If that happens, we're in for a cracking match.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I want France to win, 100%.

Ignoring the facts that Erasmus et al annoy the piss out of me, and that there will be an awful lot of smugness south of the equator if the "NH dominant RWC" turns into three RC sides in the semi-finals and a maximum of one 6N side (and the second weakest one at that), France play the game the right way and I would like to see a new champion.

Puja
Backist Monk
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Puja wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:12 pm I want France to win, 100%.

Ignoring the facts that Erasmus et al annoy the piss out of me, and that there will be an awful lot of smugness south of the equator if the "NH dominant RWC" turns into three RC sides in the semi-finals and a maximum of one 6N side (and the second weakest one at that), France play the game the right way and I would like to see a new champion.

Puja
🇫🇷🇫🇷🇫🇷
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Hon France
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

I really have no idea who'll win and feel neutral about it. I think the winner will go on to win the whole thing though*.

* but I can't predict for shit, so it'll probably be England.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Dupont wearing a scrum cap, not a face shield- really not sure what that's supposed to achieve for him, beyond a false sense of security
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Try France! 30 yard run-in from.the prop!
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

could be a basketball score at this rate.. :shock:
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

What a start. A try a pice and not even ten mins on the clock. France look ominous with ball in hand mind.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:44 pm I really have no idea who'll win and feel neutral about it. I think the winner will go on to win the whole thing though*.

* but I can't predict for shit, so it'll probably be England.
I was leaning slightly towards France before the game started. Still slightly my favourites
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

The expression on Dupont's face when looking at O'keefe showed what he thought of his decisions!
bruce

Post by bruce »

Getting fecked off with crowd already