Quarter final - France v South Africa

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

canta_brian

Re: Quarter final - France v South Africa

Post by canta_brian »

Etzebeth. That intercept about 6 mins in when he managed to pull the ball backwards. If that hadn’t happened France were maybe looking at a cricket score.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

So two amazing quarter finals. I wonder if the semis will be as competitive?
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

So, England confirmed as the best Northern hemisphere team.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Wow - what did I just watch? It's rugby Jim but not as we know it.

South Africa disrupting the French breakdown in the second half was absolutely key. French heads started dropping at the seventy minute mark. And taking the points rather than trying to win the game there and then was indicative of that mentality.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I know anything can happen but you'd get very very short odds on a SA v NZ final.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

canta_brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:01 pm So, England confirmed as the best Northern hemisphere team.
As I said elsewhere, England to beat Argentina 3-0 in the final.
Danno

Post by Danno »

canta_brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:58 pm Etzebeth. That intercept about 6 mins in when he managed to pull the ball backwards. If that hadn’t happened France were maybe looking at a cricket score.
Pretty livid about that, because it was not backwards.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Followed by four unbearable years as Dallaglio jizzes all over the TV.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Fra seemed to struggle to maintain the incredible intensity for 80 mins. unlike SA maybe their high calibre bench . A few uncharacteristic bloopers by Fra kickers clearing their lines at key moments too. Love the unexpected slant from SA.
Tough on Fra, but c'est la vie.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Danno wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:03 pm
canta_brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:58 pm Etzebeth. That intercept about 6 mins in when he managed to pull the ball backwards. If that hadn’t happened France were maybe looking at a cricket score.
Pretty sure it wasn't forward.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Victor Matfield still has luscious locks
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Anyone know who got motm?

Barclay having to work hard to hold himself back there from commenting on the penalty at the end.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Kwagga Smith’s turnover was hands on the ground first so France by 2, but hey ho, decisions happen. I think that might just be the best game of int’l rugby I’ve ever seen.
bruce

Post by bruce »

A lot of saltiness tonight. Thought the ref overall called it fairly straight. Dupont was lucky not get yellow but there you go.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

bruce wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:19 pm A lot of saltiness tonight. Thought the ref overall called it fairly straight. Dupont was lucky not get yellow but there you go.
I felt France were very hard done by, but I really wanted them to win and desperately don't want SA to win it again.

There is of course a bigger problem that I rarely finish a game these days not annoyed by some decision one way or another, especially in close games. Decisions happen, but the game is so complex it's hard not to feel hard done by when your team loses. It's really starting to ruin my enjoyment of the game.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

2 points for a conversion. Best not run up so slow you get charged down
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I thought O'Keefe was okay (I think he's best ref in the World actually), but a very hard match to reflect with rucks becoming so messy. SA got rub of the green with some (what looked like) knocks ons in the tackle and rucks. Some clumsy feet from France too.

Gutted for France, amazing to watch, but just a few errors every time they had momentum in that second half.
Insouciant

Post by Insouciant »

Ramos had a bit of a stinker. SA were probably bending the rules just enough but shit happens.

As an aside, 2 teams from England's easy group still in the tournament. We must have had the toughest qualifying pool :lol: England the only unbeaten side in the tournament too :lol: I look forward to our funeral next week.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Disappointed with the result, but what a fabulous match! These matches are often won by small margins and this was the case here. Ramos had caught Farrell fever and took far too long over a conversion, and paid the price. A momentary lapse of concentration from Jalibert and completely fluffed an important touch kick. The Boks put us under pressure in the tight scrum, particularly in the second half. A mention for the indefatigable Mauvaka who had his best ever game for les Bleus.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

canta_brian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:29 pm 2 points for a conversion. Best not run up so slow you get charged down
Especially against a ridiculously fast winger.

(Better than running out of time, though ;))
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Does feel like you lose the right to complain about the ref a bit when you manage to nake negative metres from a penalty to touch and put a mark into touch.

Woki completely ballsing up a high ball and essentially swatting it into the arms of a Bok didn't help either.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

It was a thrilling game. The intensity was off the charts. The physical commitment total from everyone. France will rue their failure to deal with 2 kicks that cost them 1st half tries. But SA have so much character and resilience.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Kolbe jumped the gun

SA lucky that they picked this weekend to stop checking everything

I think etzebeths interception was down rather than backwards also, need another look and a rule check
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

bruce wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:07 pm
Danno wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:03 pm
Pretty sure it wasn't forward.
To me this rule needs to be changed. There was no attempt to catch the ball. Was only going to be one outcome (and not as if he tried to shovel it backwards). The deliberate knock-on should be changed to a deliberate knock down. Forward or backwards is irrelevant, it stopped an attacking movement and probably a try.
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

All 4 quarter finals were outstanding. This has been the most exciting tournament I can remember