SF1: Argentina v New Zealand

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

Lizard

SF1: Argentina v New Zealand

Post by Lizard »

I guess NZ go in as favourites. But it might be hard for them to get up again after such an epic QF. Argentina have nothing to lose.

Re: SF1: Argentina v New Zealand

Post by switchskier »

NZ by 20 I reckon. Argentina have yet to show that they're actually good, whereas NZ very much have.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Raeburn shield on the line in this one too.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Argentina have a fairly decent record against NZ recently, no? Or am I just conflating a few shock victories with them generally being pretty even?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:40 pm Argentina have a fairly decent record against NZ recently, no? Or am I just conflating a few shock victories with them generally being pretty even?
Yes to the latter
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:40 pm Argentina have a fairly decent record against NZ recently, no? Or am I just conflating a few shock victories with them generally being pretty even?
After playing like a drain for most of the competition, there a few little signs that Argentina may be hitting some form. NZ are hot favourites but this could be a tight game.
Big D

Post by Big D »

It will be edgy for a little bit but if NZ hit the front they'll run away with it.

I can't see NZ giving away 18 points worth of kickable penalties like Wales did.

Although Angus Gardner is ref so he might impact the game.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Big D wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:51 pm It will be edgy for a little bit but if NZ hit the front they'll run away with it.

I can't see NZ giving away 18 points worth of kickable penalties like Wales did.

Although Angus Gardner is ref so he might impact the game.
Equally I cant see NZ failing to take full advantage of their opportunities. Wales fecked up three attacking line outs, missed another couple of try scoring chances and missed a simple penalty, all before Argentina had scored a point. The All Blacks wont be so lenient.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Apparently NZ had 0 (yes Zero) handling errors against Ireland.
Insouciant

Post by Insouciant »

canta_brian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:39 pm Apparently NZ had 0 (yes Zero) handling errors against Ireland.
That's one of the most incredible rugby stats I've ever read.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I think technically there might have been one knock on but Ireland got advantage. And of course there was Smith's deliberate one.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Insouciant wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:24 pm
canta_brian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:39 pm Apparently NZ had 0 (yes Zero) handling errors against Ireland.
Smells like BS. Prepared to be wrong, but come on...none?
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

The ABs, and Ireland too,are obviously a couple of teams who train a lot with the ball. Not like some other gym monkeys obsessed with humping weights at the expense of skills.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

morepork wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 pm
It was something I heard on the BBC’s rugby union daily podcast. Either the one following the Saturday matches or the one reviewing the quarter final weekend.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

morepork wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 pm
It’s definitely true that Ireland had 0 scrum feeds. I think they did knock on once but Ireland got advantage. And there was Smith’s deliberate one.

Post by J Dory »

ABs team announced:

1. Ethan de Groot, 2. Codie Taylor 3. Tyrel Lomax, 4. Samuel Whitelock, 5. Scott Barrett, 6. Shannon Frizell, 7. Sam Cane (c), 8. Ardie Savea, 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Richie Mo’unga, 11. Mark Tele’a, 12. Jordie Barrett, 13. Rieko Ioane, 14. Will Jordan, 15. Beauden Barrett.

Reserves: 16. Samisoni Taukei’aho, 17. Tamaiti Williams, 18. Fletcher Newell, 19. Brodie Retallick, 20. Dalton Papali’i, 21. Finlay Christie, 22. Damian McKenzie, 23. Anton Lienert-Brown.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Pretty much as you’d expect. I’d maybe prefer Roigard over Christie, and you can argue over which lock is on the bench.

Post by J Dory »

Argument could be made that Fainga'anuku has earned a spot maybe.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

J Dory wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:01 pm Argument could be made that Fainga'anuku has earned a spot maybe.
He done good. He run strong.

I mean he finished well, but Telea creates more, I think. Fainga'anuku has the goods but at the mo, Telea is the incumbent.

Post by Cameo »

Lizard wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 pm
J Dory wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:01 pm Argument could be made that Fainga'anuku has earned a spot maybe.
He done good. He run strong.

I mean he finished well, but Telea creates more, I think. Fainga'anuku has the goods but at the mo, Telea is the incumbent.
Foster went with Telea. I think he's the better player but I can see an argument that Fainga'anuku offers a bit more of a point of difference. When NZ have struggled recently, it has partly been for a failure to dent teams round the ruck. Fainga'anuku is very good at that, whereas Telea just weirdly (amd very effectively) bounces around off tacklers out wide (that's an exaggeration as he is very good at getting involved, just in not as orthodox a tight carrier fashion).

Team looks good. Shame for Roigard but hey ho. I can't see NZ losing this. Argentina may keep it tight for a while, but if NZ are on it they could be twenty ahead at half time.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Well, I’m going to miss it by the looks of things. I’m staying in a hostel in a tiny cute little cobbled street village 1200m up the Caucasus mountains in Azerbaijan. Unfortunate the internet is also cobbled and at about 1.2mbps I can’t even get my VPN to connect, let along stream the match.

I’m not sure whether to sleep through it and try to avoid spoilers until I’m in a bigger town tomorrow and can watch it on catch up, or follow by text update online.

Post by paddy no 11 »

I can also see nz 20 up at ht, they're just very accurate right now and Argentina aren't

Hopefully it's a good contest 2 poor semi finals would sour a very good competition so far
morepork

Post by morepork »

I'm off to Le Pub. Told work I had a confidential Zoom meeting to attend.....somewhere else.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

morepork wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:36 pm I'm off to Le Pub. Told work I had a confidential Zoom meeting to attend.....somewhere else.
Priorities innit
bruce

Post by bruce »

Boffelli looks a bit like Andrew Sheridan.