SF2: England v South Africa

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

Lizard

SF2: England v South Africa

Post by Lizard »

England's soft draw armchair ride ends with a jolt here. South Africa will be confident but I'm not writing off England who presumably have quite a few unopened pages in their playbook.
Which Tyler

Re: SF2: England v South Africa

Post by Which Tyler »

Lizard wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:27 pm England who presumably have quite a few unopened pages in their playbook.
I don't think we've opened it yet.
Including to write the thing.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

They'd just find that Marler and Care had doodled all over it.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I actually think this is the one more likely to lead to an upset (though still highly unlikely). South Africa sometimes like to dick around against weaker opponents. If they just kick and defend, waiting for points to come, England won't mind that. If they play anywhere near their best, England are stuffed.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Heart is hoping that we have some 2019 ABs style masterplan vs the Boks, which we've been waiting to unload on them.

Head says we'll be doing well to keep within 4 scores.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

16th man wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:32 am Heart is hoping that we have some 2019 ABs style masterplan vs the Boks, which we've been waiting to unload on them.

Head says we'll be doing well to keep within 4 scores.
I think you mean four score?
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

England will beat South Africa. Don't ask me how, I just have a feeling. Then NZ will be shitting giant black bricks if they overcome Argentina. They're just right for the kind of pillow fight England will engage in. In fact, had the SFs been reversed, with NZ playing England, I would put cold, hard cash on England winning. As it is, I think England will edge a dour contest with an out of sorts South Africa OR they will get smashed off the park. I'm still fairly confident it will be the former.
Puja

Post by Puja »

UKHamlet wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am England will beat South Africa. Don't ask me how, I just have a feeling. Then NZ will be shitting giant black bricks if they overcome Argentina. They're just right for the kind of pillow fight England will engage in. In fact, had the SFs been reversed, with NZ playing England, I would put cold, hard cash on England winning. As it is, I think England will edge a dour contest with an out of sorts South Africa OR they will get smashed off the park. I'm still fairly confident it will be the former.
Jesus fuck Hammy, what have you been drinking and can I have some?! There's no-one on the EMB with even the slightest hint of the confidence in us that you're showing.

Puja
Backist Monk
loudnconfident

Post by loudnconfident »

UKHamlet wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:59 am England will beat South Africa. Don't ask me how, I just have a feeling. Then NZ will be shitting giant black bricks if they overcome Argentina. They're just right for the kind of pillow fight England will engage in. In fact, had the SFs been reversed, with NZ playing England, I would put cold, hard cash on England winning. As it is, I think England will edge a dour contest with an out of sorts South Africa OR they will get smashed off the park. I'm still fairly confident it will be the former.
Thx for the encouragement! As Puja said, you'd be a lone voice on the England board.

(If you are confident, you can get 5/1 on England at Betfair!)
Insouciant

Post by Insouciant »

Lizard wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:27 pm England's soft draw armchair ride ends with a jolt here. South Africa will be confident but I'm not writing off England who presumably have quite a few unopened pages in their playbook.
Soft draw? Only group with two sides still present in the tournament :lol:
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:02 am
Jesus fuck Hammy, what have you been drinking and can I have some?! There's no-one on the EMB with even the slightest hint of the confidence in us that you're showing.

Puja
No I can sort of see it actually.

Weirdly I’m more in to the idea because I think it would be funny than because I think we’re good, but it feels like tournaments can hinge so heavily on who has just expended their emotional/physical energy the week before.

I hope we have permanently left Eddie’s idea of sacrificing entire seasons for the sake of the World Cup behind. There are so many other factors at play that it just isn’t worth it. Seeing what Ireland and France did over the last few years, those massive (in different ways) wins over SA and NZ, then getting knocked out really made that clear to me.

This tournament has really reaffirmed for me that the World Cup (and sport as a whole) is largely bullshit, in the sense that games hinge on whichever side of the bed a particular player (or ref) happened to get up that day.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

It has the potential to be closer than people think, England will try and stagnate the match as per the other games they've played, if they can slow SA down then they could be competitive, I can't see them winning however.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Considering neither England nor South Africa actually want the ball in matches I’m not sure how this one goes at all.
morepork

Post by morepork »

The meat eaters will beat the Sick Man of European Rugby. The back-to-back titles are too powerful a motivator.
Puja

Post by Puja »

canta_brian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:08 pm Considering neither England nor South Africa actually want the ball in matches I’m not sure how this one goes at all.
The ball just being left in the middle of the pitch as both defences get themselves into the best smashing position and Farrell and Etzebeth shout at each other to try and make the other side take it.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:36 pm The meat eaters will beat the Sick Man of European Rugby.
Daring today, aren't we?

Puja
Backist Monk
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

I hope SA has the wit to avoid a dour arm wrestle with England, give the ball some air and use their two lethal little wings who are capable of skinning anyone.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Love to see an alt opinion stated with confidence, this is the guy who literally made Rugby Rebels showing the brass cajones that epitomise the spirit of Rugby Rebels. Well played, sir
morepork

Post by morepork »

Spiffy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:42 pm I hope SA has the wit to avoid a dour arm wrestle with England, give the ball some air and use their two lethal little wings who are capable of skinning anyone.
De Allende smashes through a dog leg in the English defense made by Owen Farrell rushing out of the line, passes to Kriel who draws and passes to Kolbe running at full pace who steps Steward to go in under the posts.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

There is always the chance that they'll go down the dead end they did last time we beat them, where they got so hyped up on their macho, forward dominance, big men smash approach that the blinkers came on and they forgot to actually turn it into points and we caught them cold with some quick play.

Yes, we've struggled to demonstrate we can do our end of that, but there's still that chance.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Cameo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:47 pm I actually think this is the one more likely to lead to an upset (though still highly unlikely). South Africa sometimes like to dick around against weaker opponents. If they just kick and defend, waiting for points to come, England won't mind that. If they play anywhere near their best, England are stuffed.
I feel I should be offended, and yet.......
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I give England a 10% chance at best.

Personally, I think this is a better Springbok side than the one that beat England in 2019. Whereas we are significantly worse.

Our best chance was SA being beaten up by France, but given how early they used their bench, I don’t think that will be a factor.

Even if we were somehow able to pull it out the bag, I think it would take so much out of us that we’d not be able to put up much resistance in the final.

I’ll settle for a good fight and some pride.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:45 pm
Love to see an alt opinion stated with confidence, this is the guy who literally made Rugby Rebels showing the brass cajones that epitomise the spirit of Rugby Rebels. Well played, sir
I too love the brass clacking on this one, but, can't see it. SA by a bit for me, but hey, anything is possible.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Fair play to England for making it this far. I think they will play better this week too.

I still think SA will win due to the fact some of their forwards are relatively lightly played throughout which will mean they are less fatigued and less likely for England to get any advantage or platform. I also don't think the likely England backline can challenge the SA defence in a way to make them uncomfortable. If Smith plays we will see high balls all day.

England can win, but need to be at a level they haven't been for a while and SA to have an off day.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Poorly though England have played on times in recent months, they do seem to thrive in adversity. They can look a clueless rabble with 15 on the pitch, but put them down to 14 or even 13 and suddenly the determination and focus returns.

Given that facing a rampant Springbok squad could certainly be counted as adversity, I'm pretty sure England will raise their game. Though they'll have to do a fuck of a lot of game raising, mind.