Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Post by Big D »

Shades of the Denton deal to Bath.post world cup and a six figure fee received.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:50 pm It looks like Kinghorn is still an Edinburgh player (for now). From his comments on the Offside Line it seems Everritt is as much in the dark about it as we are. Price gets the start, the hookers are rotated and Bennett is out with a hamstring strain. Crosbie is back, playing 8, with Mata concussed. Benetton have definitely been improving but Edinburgh should still be expecting a BP win.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Benetton at Hive Stadium on Friday at 7.35pm): B Kinghorn; W Goosen, M Currie, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, A Price; P Schoeman, D Cherry, W Nel, G Young, G Gilchrist©, J Ritchie, C Boyle, L Crosbie. Substitutes: E Ashman, B Venter, A Williams, M Sykes, T Dodd, B Vellacott, T Swiel, C Dean.

Unavailable: Mark Bennett (hamstring), Emiliano BoffSwiel?elli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Darcy Graham (hip), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Viliame Mata (concussion), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Hamish Watson (cheekbone).
No Muncaster on the unavailable list means that he's not only behind Crosbie at 8, which I can understand with Ritchie as captain and Boyles form, but also seemingly Dodd too. Which I find frustrating seeing the promise he initially showed. Thought that he would have been brought in with some tough games coming up.

Wonder who the backup fullback is. Swiel?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Why a chaotic pile of shit that was. Zero control by a shambolic Edinburgh. Kinghorn goes from hero to zero, scores two tries then makes an absolute cunt of a kick through and gifts them the winning try.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:07 am
BaldiePete wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:50 pm It looks like Kinghorn is still an Edinburgh player (for now). From his comments on the Offside Line it seems Everritt is as much in the dark about it as we are. Price gets the start, the hookers are rotated and Bennett is out with a hamstring strain. Crosbie is back, playing 8, with Mata concussed. Benetton have definitely been improving but Edinburgh should still be expecting a BP win.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Benetton at Hive Stadium on Friday at 7.35pm): B Kinghorn; W Goosen, M Currie, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, A Price; P Schoeman, D Cherry, W Nel, G Young, G Gilchrist©, J Ritchie, C Boyle, L Crosbie. Substitutes: E Ashman, B Venter, A Williams, M Sykes, T Dodd, B Vellacott, T Swiel, C Dean.

Unavailable: Mark Bennett (hamstring), Emiliano BoffSwiel?elli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Darcy Graham (hip), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Viliame Mata (concussion), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Hamish Watson (cheekbone).
No Muncaster on the unavailable list means that he's not only behind Crosbie at 8, which I can understand with Ritchie as captain and Boyles form, but also seemingly Dodd too. Which I find frustrating seeing the promise he initially showed. Thought that he would have been brought in with some tough games coming up.

Wonder who the backup fullback is. Swiel?
Muncaster was with the A team.
Big D

Post by Big D »

What an embarrassing second half. They should be ashamed of that.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I watched a terrible 3 minute highlight video but judging from that alone it seems insane that Edinburgh didn't manage to win that. What was Kinghorn doing at the end?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Ulster at Kingspan Stadium on Saturday at 5.15pm): T Swiel; H Paterson, M Currie, J Lang, W Goosen; B Healy, B Vellacott©; P Schoeman, E Ashman, W Nel, M Sykes, J Hodgson, L Crosbie, J Ritchie, V Mata. Substitutes: A McBurney, R Hislop, J Sebastian, G Young, H Watson, A Price, C Scott, M Bennett.

Unavailable: Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Dave Cherry (ankle), Darcy Graham (hip), Paddy Harrison (concussion), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Blair Kinghorn (hip), Duhan van der Merwe (concussion), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring).

Ulster: W Addison; R Baloucoune, J Hume, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Burns, J Cooney; S Kitshoff, T Stewart, T O’Toole, A O’Connor ©, K Treadwell, M Rea, N Timoney, J McNabney. Substitutes: J Andrew, A Warwick, M Moore, C Izuchukwu, D Ewers, N Doak, S Moore, B Moxham.

An unusual look to the back line as injuries continue to take their toll. From wondering how they’ll cram four internationals into the back three Edinburgh are now struggling to fill two of the three positions. Kinghorn has played his last Edinburgh match, I’m sure Toulouse are thrilled that he’s injured, assuming of course that it’s a genuine injury and not just an excuse to drop him after last week’s fuck up. It’s good to see Watson back on the bench but Boyle has been very good in his absence.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I still can't make any sense of Price moving to sit on the bench behind captain Vellacott.

Weird sign-off for Kinghorn indeed.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:54 pm I still can't make any sense of Price moving to sit on the bench behind captain Vellacott.

Weird sign-off for Kinghorn indeed.

They seem to be alternating between starter and bench each week. That’s more game time for Price than it looked like he would get at Glasgow, at least until the unfortunately timed injuries to Dobie and Horne.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Fuck me, they won it. I was expecting a gubbing. I only saw the second half and they were under the pump for the first 15 minutes or so but they took their chances when they came. Ritchie was excellent. Very sloppy at the end though to allow Ulster to get both the losing and try BPs.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, really took their foot of the gas.

Like the look of Currie.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Actually managed to watch this one. Was lovely to see the scrum dominating and Nel dominating Kitchoff. Would have signed for that before the game all day long so no complaints from me.

Have liked Currie for a few years. He seems first choice now but not sure he'll ever be quite quick enough for international rugby. I was impressed by Patterson - determined and stronger than his appearance would suggest but also some decent feet.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:11 pm Fuck me, they won it. I was expecting a gubbing. I only saw the second half and they were under the pump for the first 15 minutes or so but they took their chances when they came. Ritchie was excellent. Very sloppy at the end though to allow Ulster to get both the losing and try BPs.
a very good win. but. Big But

the end was truly abysmal stuff. A monumentally stupid line out thrown long with the clock in red. Those 2 BPs they gave Ulster for hee haw could easily cost Edinburgh a top 8 (and Heinekein Cup place) finish - Ulster could easily be their rival.
And another 3 mins been available Edinburgh would have managed to conspire to lose the game, as the did last week. Lack focus, concentration as soon as a week bit of pressure appears. Ulster were shite
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 am Actually managed to watch this one. Was lovely to see the scrum dominating and Nel dominating Kitchoff. Would have signed for that before the game all day long so no complaints from me.

Have liked Currie for a few years. He seems first choice now but not sure he'll ever be quite quick enough for international rugby. I was impressed by Patterson - determined and stronger than his appearance would suggest but also some decent feet.
Kitshoff has really dropped off in the set piece. Was poor in the latter part of the RWC in the scrum. He will come good again but still strange to see.

Work to be done, and the drop off at the end of games needs to be addressed but it was good to see some younger players put their hands up.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

This team selection makes me think Edinburgh are prioritising the URC over the European Diddy Cup this season.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Clermont at Stade Marcel-Michelin on Friday at 8pm): T Swiel; H Paterson, M Bennett, C Dean, D van der Merwe; C Scott, B Vellacott©; R Hislop, E Ashman, J Sebastian, M Sykes, J Hodgson, L Crosbie, H Watson, V Mata. Substitutes: A McBurney, B Venter, A Williams, G Young, C Boyle, C Shiel, M Currie, W Goosen.

Clermont: A Newsome; B Delguy, J Heriteau, G Moala, T Roziere; A Belleau, S Bezy; E Falgoux, F Fainga’a, C Ojovan, R Simmons, T Lavanini, L Dessaigne, P Yato, P Gus Sowakula. Substitutes: Y Beheregaray, D Bibi Biziwu, H Kiteau, F Lee, K Tixeront, B Jauneau, J Plisson, P Fouyssac.

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Dave Cherry (ankle), Darcy Graham (hip), Paddy Harrison (concussion), Jake Henry (knee), Cam Neild (knee), Ali Price (leg), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring).
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:40 pm This team selection makes me think Edinburgh are prioritising the URC over the European Diddy Cup this season.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Clermont at Stade Marcel-Michelin on Friday at 8pm): T Swiel; H Paterson, M Bennett, C Dean, D van der Merwe; C Scott, B Vellacott©; R Hislop, E Ashman, J Sebastian, M Sykes, J Hodgson, L Crosbie, H Watson, V Mata. Substitutes: A McBurney, B Venter, A Williams, G Young, C Boyle, C Shiel, M Currie, W Goosen.

Clermont: A Newsome; B Delguy, J Heriteau, G Moala, T Roziere; A Belleau, S Bezy; E Falgoux, F Fainga’a, C Ojovan, R Simmons, T Lavanini, L Dessaigne, P Yato, P Gus Sowakula. Substitutes: Y Beheregaray, D Bibi Biziwu, H Kiteau, F Lee, K Tixeront, B Jauneau, J Plisson, P Fouyssac.

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Dave Cherry (ankle), Darcy Graham (hip), Paddy Harrison (concussion), Jake Henry (knee), Cam Neild (knee), Ali Price (leg), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring).
Sort of halfway between and A and a B team, but I don't hate it. Not so raw that it will get embarrassed but gives a few youngsters like Scott and Patterson a chance and some game time to fringe players.

The one that we are at risk of running into the ground (again) is Mata.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Where is Muncaster these days? Is Crosbie second choice 8 now? Has Boyle ever played there?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Muncaster played at 8 for the ‘A’ team against Glasgow ‘A’ a couple of weeks ago and scored two tries. You’d think he’d be up for selection in a week when the team has obviously been rotated. Maybe with the team being weakened elsewhere they want their strongest (or more experienced ) back row on the pitch. I think Boyle, like Watson, is a pure openside. According to an article on him on the Offside Line, when he was in the Scotland U20 at the same time as Rory Darge, Darge would move to 8 to accommodate him.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Looks like Mata will be off at the end of the season.

He has been a NSQ signing done right. But this is the right time to go their separate ways. Last chance for a big deal and at 32 not something Edinburgh should consider.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Fair enough he’s been great for us. Good luck to him. I’ve heard that Bristol might be after him. Maybe Bradbury could be heading back up the road.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Bradbury seems to have been quite consistently good for them. I don’t know if that’s just from following highlights or him having a simple ‘truck it forwards and don’t worry about anything else’ instruction, but it’s been good to see.

I hope he continues to be a first choice 8 wherever that is.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Darcy Graham is on the bench tomorrow for the match against Castres. When he coms on it’ll be the first time he’s played since the Ireland match in the World Cup. Elsewhere, Healy and Price are the starting half-backs with Vellacott rotated back to the bench and Shiel playing for the A team against Doncaster.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

A good win in tricky, windy conditions, although Edinburgh were helped by an early Castres red card. Edinburgh took advantage of the wind to get well ahead and the try BP before half-time. Price scored a very nice sniping try for his first score for Edinburgh, Duhan scored a classic Duhan try, bumping off the hapless defender and Currie also got a beauty, running a great line to cut open the defence. On the negative side, the lineout wasn’t great. Not as bad as Glasgow’s last night but still poor.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

The li eout for both teams is a worry given what happened at the World Cup. Don't have any easy answers though.

Glad to see Currie playing well. Someone on her said a while back that they werent sure he had the pace for the next level. Anyone care to comment if that's true? I've not seen enpugh of him in space to have a view.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:21 pm The li eout for both teams is a worry given what happened at the World Cup. Don't have any easy answers though.

Glad to see Currie playing well. Someone on her said a while back that they werent sure he had the pace for the next level. Anyone care to comment if that's true? I've not seen enpugh of him in space to have a view.
I wondered this too. Lovely try and didn't look slow there, but it's Healy's pass that is the real thing of beauty for me.

Now I've seen the highlights I understand "classic VDM try" is running sideways to create a 2 on 1 and then bumping the last defender anyway. Can't disagree really.