44-6

Moderator: Sandydragon

Sourdust

44-6

Post by Sourdust »

Okay, real talk: Would we really be feeling better after that, than we felt last weekend? Just because we got one step further?

Personally, I'm shuddering at the thought of what's left of Wales - most likely without Biggar or Sanjay, and who knows who else broken or near-broken - facing up to that NZ performance. I know many will feel that we wanted to go as deep as we could, whatever the consequences. But in a year or two's time, no-one will remember which knockout match Wales lost, only that they got there, but not to the final. Whereas TEN years from now, everyone would have been reminding us of the SF we lost to NZ by 40+ points.

I never, ever want my team to lose. I shouted for Wales as loudly as ever last week. But in the back of my mind was this, and it's the main reason I found the defeat so relatively easy to get over. Wales brought the "feelgood factor" back in this RWC, and while the end was always going to hurt, I honestly feel it could have been much worse.
Sandydragon

Re: 44-6

Post by Sandydragon »

Sourdust wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:06 pm Okay, real talk: Would we really be feeling better after that, than we felt last weekend? Just because we got one step further?

Personally, I'm shuddering at the thought of what's left of Wales - most likely without Biggar or Sanjay, and who knows who else broken or near-broken - facing up to that NZ performance. I know many will feel that we wanted to go as deep as we could, whatever the consequences. But in a year or two's time, no-one will remember which knockout match Wales lost, only that they got there, but not to the final. Whereas TEN years from now, everyone would have been reminding us of the SF we lost to NZ by 40+ points.

I never, ever want my team to lose. I shouted for Wales as loudly as ever last week. But in the back of my mind was this, and it's the main reason I found the defeat so relatively easy to get over. Wales brought the "feelgood factor" back in this RWC, and while the end was always going to hurt, I honestly feel it could have been much worse.
If we lose then I want us to be competitive. Last week we were and the score flattered Argentina as we tried a bit too much later in the game. I was never keen on getting hammered in the semis and then having whatever players were left face England in the third place play off. Realistically we weren’t going to win so getting out of the group and being competitive is a level I can accept.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

This is a weird take, no? Is it not just a bit of a reality check that the team who knocked you out got absolutely spanked in the next round?

That’s no shade. Scotland suffered the same and I expect similar for England tomorrow.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Wales weren't at the races against Argentina, mostly because key players (especially Faletau, Biggar, and Williams x2) were broken. The team that played Australia would have beaten Argentina, because fitness is key to the Gat-plan. The team that played Argentina was nowhere near the required levels of fitness. That then presupposes that we would have suffered even more attrition by time we reached the semi and would have been utterly destroyed by NZ. I don't think we're ready for that level of competition. Yet. By time the next RWC comes around we still might not be, but we'll be further down the road, our new players will have hopefully bedded in, and we'll make a fist of a semi-final without actually expecting to win. By the following RWC, I would hope we'll be competitive enough to reach the final.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

I'm a bit mixed on it. I wouldnt have enjoyed watching an injury hit Wales getting (another) stuffing from New Zealand, but at least it would have meant this Wales squad probably reaching its limits in its current form. I still think we missed out against Argentina, even with some players hobbled, and it did take a little gloss off what was on the whole a pretty positive campaign.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

I think this is a really negative take.

I want us to go as deeply into a competition as possible. I'd want us to have matched England rather than falling short, to have gone further than Ireland and France rather than matching them. We shouldn't be afraid of playing anyone (and that's been Gatland's approach throughout his time with Wales). Sure, there would have been no joy if we were well beaten by NZ but at least we would have beaten Argentine to get there. I disagree about the history - it will forever be known that we only made the quarters, not the semi. The last 4 is better than the last 8.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

If I thought we'd even have had a punter's chance against NZ, I'd agree.

But we didn't. Everyone knows that. With the state we were in, we'd frankly have done well to hold them to 44. If that's negative then so is saying I won't win the lottery this week.

I just don't see what is positive about getting a record hammering when it still isn't even the final. Ask any non-Welsh fan to tell you, without looking it up, where Wales finished in 2019, 2015, & 2011; I'd happily bet 90% of them couldn't do it. "They did alright, but didn't get to the final" is what you'd mostly hear. But ask them about 2007, you'll get plenty of hits; big negative results leave scars. "Okay, but it was a RWC Semi, though!" - Mate, you lost by 50 points. ;-)
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sourdust wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:01 pm If I thought we'd even have had a punter's chance against NZ, I'd agree.

But we didn't. Everyone knows that. With the state we were in, we'd frankly have done well to hold them to 44. If that's negative then so is saying I won't win the lottery this week.

I just don't see what is positive about getting a record hammering when it still isn't even the final. Ask any non-Welsh fan to tell you, without looking it up, where Wales finished in 2019, 2015, & 2011; I'd happily bet 90% of them couldn't do it. "They did alright, but didn't get to the final" is what you'd mostly hear. But ask them about 2007, you'll get plenty of hits; big negative results leave scars. "Okay, but it was a RWC Semi, though!" - Mate, you lost by 50 points. ;-)
Yeah, but 2007 was all about us not making it to the quarters, not about any scoreline.

I don't know, it seems pretty defeatist - literally - to prefer defeat to victory. I can't imagine any professional player or coach agreeing with you. Get to the semis and no one knows what will happen - look at England/SA - almost unimaginable.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:36 pm
Sourdust wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:01 pm

I don't know, it seems pretty defeatist - literally - to prefer defeat to victory.
I don't. I simply see the considerable bright side of this particular defeat. I suspect that it leaves us ultimately better off. But I'm still annoyed about it, hence my words "I never, ever want my team to lose..." ;-)
I can't imagine any professional player or coach agreeing with you.
Absolutely not and quite right too!
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:36 pm
Sourdust wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:01 pm If I thought we'd even have had a punter's chance against NZ, I'd agree.

Yeah, but 2007 was all about us not making it to the quarters, not about any scoreline.

I don't know, it seems pretty defeatist - literally - to prefer defeat to victory. I can't imagine any professional player or coach agreeing with you. Get to the semis and no one knows what will happen - look at England/SA - almost unimaginable.
Partly, although I think the main issue was being dumped out of the RWC by a second tier nation. The expectation was that we would reach the quarters.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:33 am This is a weird take, no? Is it not just a bit of a reality check that the team who knocked you out got absolutely spanked in the next round?

That’s no shade. Scotland suffered the same and I expect similar for England tomorrow.
Well England held on by their fingernails to win by three points. I guess that puts our performance against the Argies in a better perspective.