Young Player Watch

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Young Player Watch

Post by Numbers »

It has occured to me with so many youngsters in the regional squads now that it would be good to have a thread regarding the young players coming through.

First up Cam Winnett, MOM apperarance for Cardiff yesterday, looked to have a calm head tho Tomos Williams was easily the MOM imo.
Puja

Re: Young Player Watch

Post by Puja »

One from across the border to keep an eye on - Immanuel Feyi-Waboso had a belting start to the season with Exeter. Really looks like he's come of age this season.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 pm One from across the border to keep an eye on - Immanuel Feyi-Waboso had a belting start to the season with Exeter. Really looks like he's come of age this season.

Puja
The Fail was bugging him up a few months ago. Hopefully he can match their hype.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 pm One from across the border to keep an eye on - Immanuel Feyi-Waboso had a belting start to the season with Exeter. Really looks like he's come of age this season.

Puja
I haven't seen hardly anthing of him, I'll watch the highlights fro mthe weekend later as I think he scored for Exeter on the weekend, also Joe Hawkins had his first involvement for them.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Winnett was quick, busy.
Grady had a couple of moments including the vital try.
Will Reed didn't get much of a chance.
Ioan Lloyd looked sharp (although the Saffer 12 did run over him at one point).
Joe Roberts tried hard but it was difficult for anyone to look good in that demolition.
Nagy was good but made errors too.
Protheroe is back from injury and ran in a brilliant try, then went off with a knock to the head.
Keiran Williams has yet to impress this season.
Last edited by Son of Mathonwy on Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Numbers wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:04 pm

First up Cam Winnett, MOM apperarance for Cardiff yesterday, looked to have a calm head tho Tomos Williams was easily the MOM imo.
Both with links to Treorchy so clearly a sign of quality.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I'd like to see Ben Thomas given a run at 10 as he looks like a class player to me, having the SA 10 starting for Cardiff isn't going to improve our International options and I can't see Thomas breaking through into International rugby at 12 or 15.
MrK

Post by MrK »

This weekend

O's
Rhys Davies - still only 24 had another good shift
James Fender was also good IMO
Deaves was a a nuisance at 7
Morse got 10 mins game time

Scarlets
Thought Eddie James looked promising at 12
Ioan Lloyd getting game time can only be a good thing for him

Cardiff
Winnett and Cabango getting regular game time - started all 3 so far although Cabango looks to have done a shoulder scoring that try
Thomas was underwhelming at 12
Alex Mann had a better second half with one excellent line break

Dragons
Didnt watch the game

Wales
I think Dyer has improved massively with his regular involvement
Grady is still a work in progress but a nailed on #23 for me for the 6N
Costelow was looking "okay" at 10 before the injury
Carter (Still only 22) had a good game for Wales
I quite fancy the Plumtree, Morgan, Wainwright back row for the 6N
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Puja
IF-W had another good game today. Made a howler dropping a high ball, but recovered well. Looks strong, fast and gets involved.
Son of Mathonwy

MrK wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:14 pm This weekend

O's
Rhys Davies - still only 24 had another good shift
James Fender was also good IMO
Deaves was a a nuisance at 7
Morse got 10 mins game time

Scarlets
Thought Eddie James looked promising at 12
Ioan Lloyd getting game time can only be a good thing for him

Cardiff
Winnett and Cabango getting regular game time - started all 3 so far although Cabango looks to have done a shoulder scoring that try
Thomas was underwhelming at 12
Alex Mann had a better second half with one excellent line break

Dragons
Didnt watch the game

Wales
I think Dyer has improved massively with his regular involvement
Grady is still a work in progress but a nailed on #23 for me for the 6N
Costelow was looking "okay" at 10 before the injury
Carter (Still only 22) had a good game for Wales
I quite fancy the Plumtree, Morgan, Wainwright back row for the 6N
Nagy went very well. (Hopefully not well enough that the English notice him)
Walsh would be very welcome if he's willing to stay in sunny South Wales long enough to become WQ.

Ioan Lloyd is looking very promising - excellent goal kicking is just part of his all-round talent.

Will Reed is going to struggle to look good in that team. They were never in it.
MrK

Post by MrK »

Forgot about Nagy - he is definitely improving - hes a lump too 6'4 and 18st, a very Gatland player size stats wise
Son of Mathonwy

MrK wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:07 pm Forgot about Nagy - he is definitely improving - hes a lump too 6'4 and 18st, a very Gatland player size stats wise
Yeah, and Gatland would probably want to convert him to a centre. ;)
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Nagy is stringing together good performances now. He's decent in the air, reasonably quick around the park, can make a few hard yards, and makes most of his tackles. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on Wales' radar as a 15. He's "not the finished article" but that's not a luxury we can afford right now.

Walsh I'm less keen on. At his best he's pretty exciting but he goes missing often, and he'll nail a touchline conversion and then miss a sitter 5 minutes later. But with Williams injured he's likely to get a decent run at 10 now, so let's hope (a) he improves and (b) he starts to feel Welsh. :-)
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sourdust wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:00 am Nagy is stringing together good performances now. He's decent in the air, reasonably quick around the park, can make a few hard yards, and makes most of his tackles. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on Wales' radar as a 15. He's "not the finished article" but that's not a luxury we can afford right now.

Walsh I'm less keen on. At his best he's pretty exciting but he goes missing often, and he'll nail a touchline conversion and then miss a sitter 5 minutes later. But with Williams injured he's likely to get a decent run at 10 now, so let's hope (a) he improves and (b) he starts to feel Welsh. :-)
I read Walsh is a former Aussie sevens player, so if that was a representative game , would that not tie him to Australia?

As for Nagy, I'd have hoped that he has been sounded out by the WRU, even if it's no from him for representing Wales. With England planning an A game v Portugal, they will probably use that as a chance to blood some fringe players. Dont know if Nagy's on their radar, but I'd rather he's at least asked about Wales before it's too late.
Son of Mathonwy

A dismal weekend for Wales but:
Ioan Lloyd - brilliant
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:01 am A dismal weekend for Wales but:
Ioan Lloyd - brilliant
Yeah, the inside flick pass in his own 22 when under pressure was a thing of beauty.

Eddie James had a pretty solid game too.

I saw the Exeter game on the weekend and Feyi-Waboso pretty much gifted Saints two tries with daft play, one early tackle in the air and the other picking the ball uup in an obviously offside position, Saints went to the corner both times and that resulted in tries, I think he was maybe a little over enthusiastic but he has some raw talent that's for sure so hopefully he won't be dropped off the back of one poor performance.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

According to the Fail today, Nagy's eligibility is being checked by the WRU ( whether he was classed as a student or not might affect whether he's qualified for Wales through residency now or in 2 years time). Also Feyi-Waboso is being monitored by Wales for a possible 6n call up, but also by England!
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am According to the Fail today, Nagy's eligibility is being checked by the WRU ( whether he was classed as a student or not might affect whether he's qualified for Wales through residency now or in 2 years time). Also Feyi-Waboso is being monitored by Wales for a possible 6n call up, but also by England!
Bit early for the latter I’d suggest but maybe better to cap him and stop him wandering.
Puja

Post by Puja »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am According to the Fail today, Nagy's eligibility is being checked by the WRU ( whether he was classed as a student or not might affect whether he's qualified for Wales through residency now or in 2 years time). Also Feyi-Waboso is being monitored by Wales for a possible 6n call up, but also by England!
I didn't think Feyi-Waboso had any qualifications for England whatsoever? I thought his family history was Nigerian, he was born and raised in Wales and he's only been playing in England since 2022 - what would make him eligible for us?

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm
I didn't think Feyi-Waboso had any qualifications for England whatsoever? I thought his family history was Nigerian, he was born and raised in Wales and he's only been playing in England since 2022 - what would make him eligible for us?

Puja
Not sure, his Wikipedia page says he moved to Aston to go to University (I assume at 18) so perhaps residency?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Numbers wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm

Puja
Not sure, his Wikipedia page says he moved to Aston to go to University (I assume at 18) so perhaps residency?
No - he only moved to Aston when he went to Wasps in 2022. Maybe there's some grandparent who was born in England?

Puja
Backist Monk
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Puja wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm

Puja
No - he only moved to Aston when he went to Wasps in 2022. Maybe there's some grandparent who was born in England?

Puja
Qualifies for England through family ancestry according to the Wales online article, though no details given.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm

Puja

Puja
Did he only start University at 20 then? Seems a bit odd.
MrK

Post by MrK »

This weekend

Domachowski when he came on, Litterick going the full 80+, Seb having an impact, Grady looking powerful

Roberts looking on form, Nott having an impact, Wainwright having a run of games at 8, A Owen with some nice touches, Dyer looking like an international with confidence, Evans performing well at FB

Not much positive on the Os

Didn’t see Scarlets thankfully
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Dafydd Jenkins was captain for Exeter today and he both played and led well. Joe Hawkins got player of the match. Obviously Hawkins isnt eligible at the moment, but still young enough to have a Wales future further down the line.