Young Player Watch

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Re: Young Player Watch

Post by Numbers »

MrK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:05 pm This weekend

Domachowski when he came on, Litterick going the full 80+, Seb having an impact, Grady looking powerful

Roberts looking on form, Nott having an impact, Wainwright having a run of games at 8, A Owen with some nice touches, Dyer looking like an international with confidence, Evans performing well at FB

Not much positive on the Os

Didn’t see Scarlets thankfully
Scarlets were by no means as bad as the scoreline suggests, they had some long periods of pressure but found it hard tyo break Leinster down, considering the side they put out it was reasonably positive other than the score, Conbeer looked quite sharp and Archie Hughes was good when he came on, Leatherbarrow is proving a good aquisition and Tuipolotu had his best game in a long while at 8.

Over in England Reffell won MOM, Jenkins was good and scored a try, LRZ scored a try also, Jarrod Evans played at 15 for Quins...
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:57 am

Domachowski when he came on, Litterick going the full 80+, Seb having an impact, Grady looking powerful

Roberts looking on form, Nott having an impact, Wainwright having a run of games at 8, A Owen with some nice touches, Dyer looking like an international with confidence, Evans performing well at FB

Scarlets were by no means as bad as the scoreline suggests, they had some long periods of pressure but found it hard tyo break Leinster down, considering the side they put out it was reasonably positive other than the score, Conbeer looked quite sharp and Archie Hughes was good when he came on, Leatherbarrow is proving a good aquisition and Tuipolotu had his best game in a long while at 8.

Over in England Reffell won MOM, Jenkins was good and scored a try, LRZ scored a try also, Jarrod Evans played at 15 for Quins...
True. Being a Welsh/Tongan cousin of Faletau and the Vunipolas, he has a lot to live up to but he had a good one on Saturday.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Good news. He's one of those players that seems to have bags of potential but just needed to demonstrate it on the pitch. Still a youngster but he seems to be moving in the right direction.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:55 pm

Good news. He's one of those players that seems to have bags of potential but just needed to demonstrate it on the pitch. Still a youngster but he seems to be moving in the right direction.
I think this will be a make or break season for him, now Kalimafoni has gone he needs to stamp his mark on the 8 jersey, it'll be interesting to see if Peel sticks with him for the full season (injury permitting of course), it's difficult to work out the Scarlets best backrow atm but I suppose he's vying with Fifita and Plumtree tho Fifita plays at 6 and 2nd row more regularly of course.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:35 pm Dafydd Jenkins was captain for Exeter today and he both played and led well. Joe Hawkins got player of the match. Obviously Hawkins isnt eligible at the moment, but still young enough to have a Wales future further down the line.
I just got around to watching that match. Hawkins had a good game but was a surprising choice for MOM. Jenkins would have been a better choice with his try, vital charge down and general leading from the front. LRZ's try was excellent.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:13 am
pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:35 pm Dafydd Jenkins was captain for Exeter today and he both played and led well. Joe Hawkins got player of the match. Obviously Hawkins isnt eligible at the moment, but still young enough to have a Wales future further down the line.
I just got around to watching that match. Hawkins had a good game but was a surprising choice for MOM. Jenkins would have been a better choice with his try, vital charge down and general leading from the front. LRZ's try was excellent.
Yes, good game though Hawkins had I dont know what more jenkins could have done to get player of the match.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

MIght be an opportunity at 13 for someone with George North about to make a move to the French second tier.
MrK

Post by MrK »

This weekend
Domachowski & Carre on the loose, Litterick coming on and scoring his first try since U11s, seb again, Jenkins was excellent, McKenzie making an impact off the bench. On the backs Winnett and of couse Grady were the standouts

I didn’t see the dragons

Lake was powerful with the compulsory missed dart here and there, Beard & Fender played well, R Davies was outstanding at 6 and should’ve been MOTM, Morgan did as Morgan does
and Morris gives plenty of go forward for his side. Edwards looked sharp when he came on. I won’t blame Nagy for the dropped balls but he does look to have improved his running game. RMW getting a lot of game time and edged both Davies and Hardy.

Not a lot of positives for scarlets although Lloyd continues to improve at 10
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

MrK wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:06 am This weekend
Domachowski & Carre on the loose, Litterick coming on and scoring his first try since U11s, seb again, Jenkins was excellent, McKenzie making an impact off the bench. On the backs Winnett and of couse Grady were the standouts

I didn’t see the dragons

Lake was powerful with the compulsory missed dart here and there, Beard & Fender played well, R Davies was outstanding at 6 and should’ve been MOTM, Morgan did as Morgan does
and Morris gives plenty of go forward for his side. Edwards looked sharp when he came on. I won’t blame Nagy for the dropped balls but he does look to have improved his running game. RMW getting a lot of game time and edged both Davies and Hardy.

Not a lot of positives for scarlets although Lloyd continues to improve at 10
Not much to argue with the above. Agree that lloyd did well considering the position the scarlets were in. Similarly for the dragons, even on.the back foot i thought Cai Evans used his boot to good effect until he went off.

Exeter's Welsh contingent continue to impress. Jenkins and Hawkins were good again, and it's worth catching feyi-waboso's try if you haven't seen it. Shame he went off injured but just precautionary accords to the chiefs. It's also a pity that Christ is out until the new year especially as Plumtree looks like he'll miss the start of the 6n at least.

Finally Iwan Stephens looked lively on the wing for Newcastle. He's the son of former Wales FH Colin Stephens. I've read in the past his aim is to represent England, but worth keeping tabs on i think in case an England call doesn't come.
MrK

Post by MrK »

pompey-zebra wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:11 pm
Not much to argue with the above. Agree that lloyd did well considering the position the scarlets were in. Similarly for the dragons, even on.the back foot i thought Cai Evans used his boot to good effect until he went off.

Exeter's Welsh contingent continue to impress. Jenkins and Hawkins were good again, and it's worth catching feyi-waboso's try if you haven't seen it. Shame he went off injured but just precautionary accords to the chiefs. It's also a pity that Christ is out until the new year especially as Plumtree looks like he'll miss the start of the 6n at least.

Finally Iwan Stephens looked lively on the wing for Newcastle. He's the son of former Wales FH Colin Stephens. I've read in the past his aim is to represent England, but worth keeping tabs on i think in case an England call doesn't come.
I saw the Feyi-Waboso try - strength and pace there. Jenkins is doing well in his development. So many Welsh players at Exeter, lets hope they continue to get gametime.

Agree on Christ and Plumtree, I could easily have seen a Plumtree, Morgan, Wainwright 678 for the 6N

Gatland seems unsure about him but if hes looking for a "big" 6 that tackles, carries and can make turnovers, I thought R Davies had a great game there yesterday.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Plumtree out for the whole of the 6n now after an operation on his shoulder. Not having much luck with injuries in his nascent Welsh career.
Son of Mathonwy

MrK wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm

I saw the Feyi-Waboso try - strength and pace there. Jenkins is doing well in his development. So many Welsh players at Exeter, lets hope they continue to get gametime.

Agree on Christ and Plumtree, I could easily have seen a Plumtree, Morgan, Wainwright 678 for the 6N

Gatland seems unsure about him but if hes looking for a "big" 6 that tackles, carries and can make turnovers, I thought R Davies had a great game there yesterday.
Feyi-Waboso is raw, makes mistakes, but that try shows a whole lot of potential.

Agreed about Rhys Davies, hope he gets a chance this 6N.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 pm

Feyi-Waboso is raw, makes mistakes, but that try shows a whole lot of potential.

It feels like a season too soon for him, although he would probably benefit from being in the Welsh camp and knowing he's on the radar, especially with England also reportedly sniffing about.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:57 pm Plumtree out for the whole of the 6n now after an operation on his shoulder. Not having much luck with injuries in his nascent Welsh career.
So much potential there, thats a real shame.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:44 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 pm

It feels like a season too soon for him, although he would probably benefit from being in the Welsh camp and knowing he's on the radar, especially with England also reportedly sniffing about.
Agreed.

Although to be fair, for all its faults the WRU doesn't do a bad job of tracking down any vaguely Welsh players and bringing them home where they belong.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Some good showings from some of the youngsters this weekend, in summary:

Scarlets:

Eddie James - Big and strong and not without a bit of skill too
Tuipolotu - Not a bad game but he's still getting into the swing of things
LLoyd - MOM again

Ospreys:

Nagy - Good until he suffered a bad injury
Hopkins - Elusive, not too sure about his defence tho
Edwards - Another unfortunate injury
Deaves - Action packed performance
Tristan Davies - Made one really nice break and looks like he has a bit about him, 6'6" too so could make for an imposing 6
Luke Davies - One terrible pass aside quite a solid performance I thought

Dragons:

Not really any younggsters playing, I would have liked to have seen Ryan Woodman get a run out

Cardiff:

Winnett - Another good performance bar the tackle attempt on Steff Evans
Grady - Didn't get much ball but made a lovely outside break at one point and looked generally threatening whenever he did get the ball
Alex Mann - Good performance from him, gets about the field very well and no shortage of grit
Mackenzie Martin - This lad could be the future replacement for Faletau, he already looks more promising than Tuipolotu and he is very dynamic
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:44 am Some good showings from some of the youngsters this weekend, in summary:

Scarlets:

LLoyd - MOM again

Ospreys:

Tristan Davies - Made one really nice break and looks like he has a bit about him, 6'6" too so could make for an imposing 6

Dragons:

Not really any younggsters playing, I would have liked to have seen Ryan Woodman get a run out

Cardiff:

Grady - Didn't get much ball but made a lovely outside break at one point and looked generally threatening whenever he did get the ball
Alex Mann - Good performance from him, gets about the field very well and no shortage of grit
Mackenzie Martin - This lad could be the future replacement for Faletau, he already looks more promising than Tuipolotu and he is very dynamic
Yeah, all that. Hope Nagy's injury is a lot less than it looked. Not good at all.

Ridiculous break from Lloyd. Now that's what I like to see. Slightly inaccurate at goal but a couple of those missed were touchline conversions. Excellent overall.

Max Llewellyn had a good (albeit, losing) game for Gloucester. Very direct, as you'd expect.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm
Numbers wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:44 am Some good showings from some of the youngsters this weekend, in summary:

Scarlets:

LLoyd - MOM again

Ospreys:

Dragons:

Cardiff:

Yeah, all that. Hope Nagy's injury is a lot less than it looked. Not good at all.

Ridiculous break from Lloyd. Now that's what I like to see. Slightly inaccurate at goal but a couple of those missed were touchline conversions. Excellent overall.

Max Llewellyn had a good (albeit, losing) game for Gloucester. Very direct, as you'd expect.
Yeah, I heard he'd played quite well, at 13 for a change but I think that's the first game he's started this season.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I had high hopes for Max Llewelyn, I hope he can get a good run of games for Gloucester. Bags of potential there.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Fail's reporting that Nagy has dislocated his ankle so is going to be out for some time unfortunately. Regardless of whether he's eligible for Wales at the moment or not, it's a shame for both him and the Ospreys as he was showing some real promise.
MrK

Post by MrK »

Any update on the weekends action.

I was away so missed it all.
normanski

Post by normanski »

There’s so much emerging talent that we can but hope that Gatland can meld them into a competitive outfit for the Six Nations.

I know we’ve lost quite a few top class players - AWJ, Tipuric, Biggar, Anscombe, Liam and halfpenny - but the possibility of a new, young and talented team excites me.

Gatland’s team usually do well the season after a RWC and many of our starters will be relatively unknown to the other countries giving us a surprise element. Can’t wait!
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

I noticed the latest Welsh qualified player of interest, Cameron Hanekom, got man of the match in the the win against Sarries on the weekend. Reports in the rugby paper says he's being linked with English clubs which would make playing for Wales easier if he so chose.(not sure if he's English qualified too, as well as Wales/SA)
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Hanekom looks like a huge talent. Sadly despite the Fails obsession with him, I suspect he would rather wear green than red and I suspect someone in the SA RFU has had a quiet word with him already.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:08 pm There’s so much emerging talent that we can but hope that Gatland can meld them into a competitive outfit for the Six Nations.

I know we’ve lost quite a few top class players - AWJ, Tipuric, Biggar, Anscombe, Liam and halfpenny - but the possibility of a new, young and talented team excites me.

Gatland’s team usually do well the season after a RWC and many of our starters will be relatively unknown to the other countries giving us a surprise element. Can’t wait!
The cupboard isn’t quite as bare as we thought it was at the beginning of the year. But we have lost a huge amount of experience. I suspect we will struggle this year, but provided we have young players developing then I can live with that. I always want to win the six nations, but we have little choice but to blood younger players this year as might as well look for what positives we can.