Young Player Watch

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Re: Young Player Watch

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:01 pm I noticed the latest Welsh qualified player of interest, Cameron Hanekom, got man of the match in the the win against Sarries on the weekend. Reports in the rugby paper says he's being linked with English clubs which would make playing for Wales easier if he so chose.(not sure if he's English qualified too, as well as Wales/SA)
He's rated in SA so he won't be playiong for anyone else mate, the Welsh media are always bigging up potential foreign players for clickbait.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

MrK wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:11 am Any update on the weekends action.

I was away so missed it all.
Cardiff:

Grady continues to impress, Teddy Williams played pretty well I thought and Martin looks like he could be very good, De La Rua also shows promise

Dragons:

Woodman looks very promising

Ospreys:

Iestyn Hopkins looks sharp on the counterattack from 15

Scarlets:

Didn't see the match but apparently Lloyd was very good again, Tuipolotu got injured and will be out for a few weeks.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Numbers wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:18 am
pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:01 pm I noticed the latest Welsh qualified player of interest, Cameron Hanekom, got man of the match in the the win against Sarries on the weekend. Reports in the rugby paper says he's being linked with English clubs which would make playing for Wales easier if he so chose.(not sure if he's English qualified too, as well as Wales/SA)
He's rated in SA so he won't be playiong for anyone else mate, the Welsh media are always bigging up potential foreign players for clickbait.
I think you're right, he'll have plenty of opportunities in and for SA.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:15 am
His Club Coach is not keen on him going anywhere which would mean it very unlikely: https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/white-ward ... t-hanekom/
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Yep, it doesnt look likely, based on that. No doubt the Fail's focus will turn to Henry Arundel requalifying for Wales once his Racing 92 contract is up.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:18 pm Yep, it doesnt look likely, based on that. No doubt the Fail's focus will turn to Henry Arundel requalifying for Wales once his Racing 92 contract is up.
Haha, I suppose he qualifies for all of the home nations as he was born in Cyprus.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:03 pm

His Club Coach is not keen on him going anywhere which would mean it very unlikely: https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/white-ward ... t-hanekom/
I love how WoL are making out this is a 'major blow' to Gatland.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:58 pm
Numbers wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:03 pm

I love how WoL are making out this is a 'major blow' to Gatland.
The journalistic standards there plumb new depths.
Son of Mathonwy

Feyi-Waboso was unbelievable last night against Bristol. MOM, a try, several incredible breaks, strong tackling, even good vision for a clearance kick. Strong and with ridiculous acceleration, Gatland has to give this guy a call.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:18 pm Feyi-Waboso was unbelievable last night against Bristol. MOM, a try, several incredible breaks, strong tackling, even good vision for a clearance kick. Strong and with ridiculous acceleration, Gatland has to give this guy a call.
Totally agree. He might have some rough edges but better to get him into the squad and tie him to wales asap. We can’t afford to allow talent to slip by.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:53 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:18 pm Feyi-Waboso was unbelievable last night against Bristol. MOM, a try, several incredible breaks, strong tackling, even good vision for a clearance kick. Strong and with ridiculous acceleration, Gatland has to give this guy a call.
Totally agree. He might have some rough edges but better to get him into the squad and tie him to wales asap. We can’t afford to allow talent to slip by.
I think he should play for England....being English.

Great player isn't he? Think he'll (arguably rightly) pick Wales though
Son of Mathonwy

TheNomad wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:24 pm

Born in Cardiff.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:33 pm

Born in Cardiff.
I've yet to ascertain how he's actually English qualified. Be something if we poach him from you and then discover we can't have him after all.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:11 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:33 pm

Born in Cardiff.
I've yet to ascertain how he's actually English qualified. Be something if we poach him from you and then discover we can't have him after all.

Puja
Yeah, that would be a genuine first for an international rugby team...
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Not exactly a young player, but the Fail's reporting that Rhys Ruddock is keen to switch to Wales, and requalifies during this year's 6n. (The first match he'll qualify for is against Ireland!). At 33 he's hardly one for the future, but could be a short term option, especially while some of the other back row candidates are injured.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Meanwhile the Fail is reporting that Feyo-Waboso has agreed to attend an England camp and has turned his back on wales. The issue, apparently, is that his contract renewal at Exeter would be mid uni course and if capped prior to that he wouldn’t be eligible to play for wales if after a handful of caps he were to resign for Exeter and not a region.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:58 am Not exactly a young player, but the Fail's reporting that Rhys Ruddock is keen to switch to Wales, and requalifies during this year's 6n. (The first match he'll qualify for is against Ireland!). At 33 he's hardly one for the future, but could be a short term option, especially while some of the other back row candidates are injured.
Surely a desperation pick at best? I’d rather give Christ or one of the other youngsters a run out if they are fit.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

And apparently LRZ has been offered mega bucks to play in Japan. Whilst he has more than 25 caps, his availability would be significantly hampered.

Happy 2024
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:31 pm Meanwhile the Fail is reporting that Feyo-Waboso has agreed to attend an England camp and has turned his back on wales. The issue, apparently, is that his contract renewal at Exeter would be mid uni course and if capped prior to that he wouldn’t be eligible to play for wales if after a handful of caps he were to resign for Exeter and not a region.
That's a big blow to Wales if true ( and given that borthwick has apparently been open about contact with him, it probably is). Given the form.he's in he would have surely made the Wales 6n squad.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:50 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:31 pm Meanwhile the Fail is reporting that Feyo-Waboso has agreed to attend an England camp and has turned his back on wales. The issue, apparently, is that his contract renewal at Exeter would be mid uni course and if capped prior to that he wouldn’t be eligible to play for wales if after a handful of caps he were to resign for Exeter and not a region.
That's a big blow to Wales if true ( and given that borthwick has apparently been open about contact with him, it probably is). Given the form.he's in he would have surely made the Wales 6n squad.
That's grim. He was a little glimmer of light in the future of Welsh rugby. Hope the WRU made some effort . . . and still do till he's actually unavailable.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:56 pm
That's grim. He was a little glimmer of light in the future of Welsh rugby. Hope the WRU made some effort . . . and still do till he's actually unavailable.
I can understand his desire for stability in his rugby and in his studies, after not getting a place in Cardiff and then having to move after Wasps went under. But I'd hope that the WRU could have come to some accommodation, given that in some ways he's been forced into the position he's in.

Of course, these days young players can have their cake and eat it to some extent. Playing for England now doesnt mean an either/ or situation as it once did. He could still play for Wales, just some years in the future. This too may have played a part in his decision.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:21 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:56 pm

I can understand his desire for stability in his rugby and in his studies, after not getting a place in Cardiff and then having to move after Wasps went under. But I'd hope that the WRU could have come to some accommodation, given that in some ways he's been forced into the position he's in.

Of course, these days young players can have their cake and eat it to some extent. Playing for England now doesnt mean an either/ or situation as it once did. He could still play for Wales, just some years in the future. This too may have played a part in his decision.
The WRU need to tell him, right now, that they'll suspend the cap rule in the case of degree courses etc (which is pretty reasonable in any event).
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

It wouldn't hurt to have a rethink about Joe Hawkins' eligibility while they are at it. I used to be in favour of the cap rule, but in such uncertain times, we really can't afford to lose young promising players like this. Better they are playing in England than Japan.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sandydragon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:23 pm It wouldn't hurt to have a rethink about Joe Hawkins' eligibility while they are at it. I used to be in favour of the cap rule, but in such uncertain times, we really can't afford to lose young promising players like this. Better they are playing in England than Japan.
I read a comment a while back from someone in the WRU saying that the cuts in regional funding were giving chances to younger players that they might not have had otherwise. This might be true but seems a bit like someone stealing your car and expecting thanks that you're now getting more exercise.

We're seeing some of the established players moving abroad, but if the union are thinking the youngsters will gratefully fill in the gaps on the cheap, they might have to think again. Hawkins and now IFW have shown that the prospect of a more stable club career outside of Wales with better wages and potentially better chances of trophies, can outweigh the lure of playing in Wales and for Wales. And I think it's that case that English clubs get some sort of subsidy from the RFU if the player is England qualified, so that helps if you're a young Welsh player with an English granny. And of course, with the latter, with the ability to requlify 3 years after your last cap, playing for both England and Wales is a possibility that wasnt open to players previously. I'd hate for Wales to end up like the European equivalent of say Tonga, where our young talent plays their prime years for someone else then return at the end of their careers. The last point might be unlikely, but should still be taken into account.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:47 am
Sandydragon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:23 pm It wouldn't hurt to have a rethink about Joe Hawkins' eligibility while they are at it. I used to be in favour of the cap rule, but in such uncertain times, we really can't afford to lose young promising players like this. Better they are playing in England than Japan.
I read a comment a while back from someone in the WRU saying that the cuts in regional funding were giving chances to younger players that they might not have had otherwise. This might be true but seems a bit like someone stealing your car and expecting thanks that you're now getting more exercise.

We're seeing some of the established players moving abroad, but if the union are thinking the youngsters will gratefully fill in the gaps on the cheap, they might have to think again. Hawkins and now IFW have shown that the prospect of a more stable club career outside of Wales with better wages and potentially better chances of trophies, can outweigh the lure of playing in Wales and for Wales. And I think it's that case that English clubs get some sort of subsidy from the RFU if the player is England qualified, so that helps if you're a young Welsh player with an English granny. And of course, with the latter, with the ability to requlify 3 years after your last cap, playing for both England and Wales is a possibility that wasnt open to players previously. I'd hate for Wales to end up like the European equivalent of say Tonga, where our young talent plays their prime years for someone else then return at the end of their careers. The last point might be unlikely, but should still be taken into account.
There's a fair risk of that happening I think. It's one reason why we shouldn't look at Ruddock.

IFW is a real problem though. It's one thing to turn your back on Wales, like Hawkins and Hill, much worse to defect to England. Hope the WRU see sense on this and accommodate him. It's not too late.