Young Player Watch

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

Re: Young Player Watch

Post by pompey-zebra »

The fail now reporting that Mason Grady is considering moving to Sale or Bath, so putting his Wales career on hold. I get the feeling he won't be the last.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

This can't go on. I'd prefer for our best players to be at the regions, but if they are going to leave anyway then at least allow the national team to benefit from players overseas playing at the top level. I have a sense this will get worse before it gets better.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

If enough <25 cap players ignore the rule and leave anyway, the rule will have to be abandoned. I guess we shall see if this rumour about Grady is true and if anyone else does it. I must admit I thought the limit was low enough that younger players would accept it for their first contract after being capped, but we shall see. It would be a shame (there are other words for it) if Feyi-Waboso were to defect and then see the rule dropped shortly afterwards.

I wonder what the new CEO makes of all of this?
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

The latest is that Johnny Williams and Leon Brown are considering moves outside of Wales. While neither have been regulars recently lsrgely due to injury and form, they have fewer than 25 caps, so would be unavailable even if their fitness and form improves whilst away.

The issue with the young players is a real concern though. A good few youngsters have put their hands up this season, and I'm sure that clubs in England (and elsewhere no doubt) will have taken notice. The pull of Welsh honours will still draw players, but if the situation with the regions is so unattractive that it outweighs he chance of playing for Wales, the numbers looking abroad will increase. The union has to accept that players are not just interested in playing for Wales, playing in Wales needs to be an attractive proposition too either that or they accept the professional game in Wales is up shit creek and they allow players to play abroad without affecting their international chances. Whatever, the current situation is not working.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

The latest is that Johnny Williams and Leon Brown are considering moves outside of Wales. While neither have been regulars recently lsrgely due to injury and form, they have fewer than 25 caps, so would be unavailable even if their fitness and form improves whilst away.

The issue with the young players is a real concern though. A good few youngsters have put their hands up this season, and I'm sure that clubs in England (and elsewhere no doubt) will have taken notice. The pull of Welsh honours will still draw players, but if the situation with the regions is so unattractive that it outweighs he chance of playing for Wales, the numbers looking abroad will increase. The union has to accept that players are not just interested in playing for Wales, playing in Wales needs to be an attractive proposition too either that or they accept the professional game in Wales is up shit creek and they allow players to play abroad without affecting their international chances. Whatever, the current situation is not working.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:38 am The latest is that Johnny Williams and Leon Brown are considering moves outside of Wales. While neither have been regulars recently lsrgely due to injury and form, they have fewer than 25 caps, so would be unavailable even if their fitness and form improves whilst away.

With central contracts the squad players could be paid a reasonable amount considering their worth (if not the maximum they could get). But now there's no way these players can be paid anything like what they're worth in Wales. Ending central contacts (and slashing budgets) can only lead to almost all of our best players leaving Wales. Presumably the WRU must have been aware of this, or is this just another example of their total lack of a strategy?

The only question now is whether the young players will take low salaries for a few years or not. I guess we don't know for sure but it doesn't look good at the moment. If more than a few promising players make themselves ineligible (or worse, switch sides) then the cap limit has to go. That will mean accepting the situation that all four regional teams are simply development teams, with no hope of winning anything, but that is pretty much what it looks like now.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

My heart says to keep the 25 cap rule, we need to keep the talent in Wales. At the same time with the salary cap reduction, and the regions being skint in general I don’t see how the regions keep hold of the talent.

Some decent players with less than 25 caps are definitely going to be on the move in the Summer, eg Grady, Johnny Williams and more than likely Rio Dyer. Also Leon Brown and Carre although I don’t think either are on Gatland’s wish list right now. The policy has cost Wales a real prospect in Feyi-Waboso, too, and we could have done with a look at Joe Hawkins at 10. Although he hasn’t been capped I have seen rumours that Jacob Beetham might be heading to Scotland next season, and that he is also Scottish qualified.

I suppose we should await announcements from the new board.

Good thread by the way. Haven’t seen any front rowers mentioned, Efan Daniel (another Treorchy player) has looked ok for Cardiff and Yendle has impressed at the Dragons. WoL have mentioned Archie Griffin at Bath a number of times. He is about 22 and has had some first team experience this season although understandably he is behind Stuart and du Toit at tight head. Imagine having that sort of strength in depth at the regions ! He is Leon Brown sized and played for Wales at u-18 level, despite being born in Australia. Hopefully we get to him before Borthwick !
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm
Numbers wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Puja wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm

I didn't think Feyi-Waboso had any qualifications for England whatsoever? I thought his family history was Nigerian, he was born and raised in Wales and he's only been playing in England since 2022 - what would make him eligible for us?

Puja
Not sure, his Wikipedia page says he moved to Aston to go to University (I assume at 18) so perhaps residency?
No - he only moved to Aston when he went to Wasps in 2022. Maybe there's some grandparent who was born in England?

Puja
Apols if already cleared up… The Times are reporting that he has ‘a paternal grandmother born in Gloucester’.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 amApols if already cleared up… The Times are reporting that he has ‘a paternal grandmother born in Gloucester’.
Poor lady
Son of Mathonwy

Good news about Nagy signing a new contract at the Ospreys.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Impressive turnover over and try from Joe Roberts. Is he a prospect?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

paddy no 11 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:58 pm Impressive turnover over and try from Joe Roberts. Is he a prospect?
He's already capped but he is a good player, he's been the starting Scarlets 13 for the last two seasons.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Numbers wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:55 am
paddy no 11 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:58 pm Impressive turnover over and try from Joe Roberts. Is he a prospect?
He's already capped but he is a good player, he's been the starting Scarlets 13 for the last two seasons.
Cheers, scarlets were better than the bare score. But when your sub hooker is 18 Welsh rugby isn't going to compete
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Numbers wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:55 am
Yeah, I’d expect him to feature more in time, but both centres we have now have some mileage left on the clock. Wouldn’t surprise me if Robert’s featured more on the summer tour.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Wallpaperman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:38 pm Although he hasn’t been capped I have seen rumours that Jacob Beetham might be heading to Scotland next season, and that he is also Scottish qualified.

I see Beetham's been called into the Wales training squad ( along with Tsiunza and Anscombe). Hopefully that's a sign that if there was Scottish interest, it's on the back burner now.
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:47 pm
Wallpaperman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:38 pm Although he hasn’t been capped I have seen rumours that Jacob Beetham might be heading to Scotland next season, and that he is also Scottish qualified.

I see Beetham's been called into the Wales training squad ( along with Tsiunza and Anscombe). Hopefully that's a sign that if there was Scottish interest, it's on the back burner now.
Pleased about that. He looks promising. And it would be nice to get him capped against Italy, to keep Scottish paws off him.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Question - where is Sam Moore nowadays? He was supposed to be the coming thing at no 8 back in 2019/20, and I remember Eddie Jones calling him into an England squad simply because Wales had shown an interest in him, and then he made his choice by moving from Sale to Cardiff. He's apparently with the Ospreys now, but I can't find hide nor hair of him playing a game for over a year. Anyone know what's happened to him?

Puja
Backist Monk
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Puja wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:35 pm Question - where is Sam Moore nowadays? He was supposed to be the coming thing at no 8 back in 2019/20, and I remember Eddie Jones calling him into an England squad simply because Wales had shown an interest in him, and then he made his choice by moving from Sale to Cardiff. He's apparently with the Ospreys now, but I can't find hide nor hair of him playing a game for over a year. Anyone know what's happened to him?

Puja
Still injured apparently ( like most of the ospreys squad at one point or another it seems). You're right, there was a tug of war between England and Wales when he was making his name, but I think injuries have blighted his progress ever since.

Edit: i can't seem much reference to him recently, either so maybe he's been released.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:00 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:35 pm Question - where is Sam Moore nowadays? He was supposed to be the coming thing at no 8 back in 2019/20, and I remember Eddie Jones calling him into an England squad simply because Wales had shown an interest in him, and then he made his choice by moving from Sale to Cardiff. He's apparently with the Ospreys now, but I can't find hide nor hair of him playing a game for over a year. Anyone know what's happened to him?

Puja
Still injured apparently ( like most of the ospreys squad at one point or another it seems). You're right, there was a tug of war between England and Wales when he was making his name, but I think injuries have blighted his progress ever since.

Edit: i can't seem much reference to him recently, either so maybe he's been released.
Hes not named in the current Ospreys squad, so perhaps he has been released, or is on loan. Wiki still puts him at the Os.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:32 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:47 pm

Pleased about that. He looks promising. And it would be nice to get him capped against Italy, to keep Scottish paws off him.
He's just signed a new contract with Cardiff iirc.
Son of Mathonwy

Max Llewellyn had a decent game on Sunday (Gloucester lost to Exeter) and one nice break, but for me he just doesn't have the pace for a centre. He looks like a lightweight back rower.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 pm Max Llewellyn had a decent game on Sunday (Gloucester lost to Exeter) and one nice break, but for me he just doesn't have the pace for a centre. He looks like a lightweight back rower.
12 doesn't need to have electric pace, see Jamie Roberts, the 13 does need to have some pace to cover the outside break.

Do you have any idea what is going on with the Ospreys centres at the moment, prior to the last few games Williams has always played at 12 and Watkin 13 then against the Stormers they were switched and then this week it's back to the usual, weird, Williams doesn't have the pace for a 13 and Watkin barely does.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:14 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 pm Max Llewellyn had a decent game on Sunday (Gloucester lost to Exeter) and one nice break, but for me he just doesn't have the pace for a centre. He looks like a lightweight back rower.
12 doesn't need to have electric pace, see Jamie Roberts, the 13 does need to have some pace to cover the outside break.

Do you have any idea what is going on with the Ospreys centres at the moment, prior to the last few games Williams has always played at 12 and Watkin 13 then against the Stormers they were switched and then this week it's back to the usual, weird, Williams doesn't have the pace for a 13 and Watkin barely does.
Agreed, 12 doesn't need super speed, Llewellyn does okay, but is often a bit anonymous. Roberts slowed down over time but he started out as a full back/winger so wasn't lacking speed.

At the start of the season we mostly saw Keiran Williams inside of Watkin. In 2024 we've seen more of the reverse. And quite a few times we've had one of those two at inside North or Boshoff.

The thing is, they're both 12s. It's not ideal for Wales that they're both in the same club. IMO Williams has a bit more pace, is more capable of making dynamic breaks, so if forced to choose I would put him at outside centre, as seems to be Booth's preference at the moment.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Gloucester have also been moving Llewellyn between 12 & 13 for some reason, it's odd as 13 is a much more difficult position to defend.