2024 Six Nations

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: 2024 Six Nations

Post by Big D »

Saturday was an odd game really. We very nearly beat the blitz on our first attack then rarely managed to get outside it.

Watching the first England try back I do wonder if Tuipulotu hurt his knee when the dummy runner crashed into him causing a knee on inside of knee collision.

Overall I thought the second rows stood up physically in what might be GGs last Murrayfield start. Cummings needs to keep that going. I thought the back row was workman like but feel that too often Darge is the one making the tackle rather than impacting the ruck regularly (not to say he wasn't impacting the ruck but not enough IMO). Dempsey was very physical in defence although quiet in attack.

White had his worst game of the 6N but I was impressed by his physicality in defence. Finn and Duhan are what they are (very good). Jones is now a more complete 13 than he has ever been. I honestly think spending time with Harris has helped his defence. Kinghorn was ok but after a few weeks out I wasn't expecting him to be perfect.

A nod to our bench. Considering the England bench was supposedly better I think they stood up well. EMM had a bullshit penalty against him, Ashman had good arrows, Skinner kept the physicality high, Christie was busy, and Redpath was good barring one major defensive mistake.

Two areas of concern for me, our attack hasn't really opened up in the 6N except for small spells and in the last 5min we gave away two basic penalties (Horne offside and DVDM tackle) that gave England a small glimmer of hope.

I'd bring Christie in for Ritchie v Italy and whichever of Redpath/McDowell assuming Tuipulotu is injured.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I was almost certain the bench was going to cost us again, but they fronted up pretty well. EMM got very mixed returns (and hard done by one a few of those) but put in a crazy amount of effort.

I'm a Redpath fanboy, but I feel for him on the Feyi-Waboso try. I don't think he realised (or it wasn't communicated) that Russell had swung round to the other side of the ruck, and it was a very good, late line to be fair. His awareness and footwork for VDM's third was fantastic. I want to see him get a start with Russell and Jones.

I'd be tempted by 6. Christie 7. Darge 8. Fagerson 20. Dempsey for Italy, to try and get some minutes/form back in to Matt Fagerson. I'm no clearer where Ritchie stands at the moment. I can't say I really noticed him yesterday other than in the lineout.
Dozey

Post by Dozey »

Ritchie acted as the scrum half at the ruck before the last try. Quick thinking and quick ball for Finn's cross kick.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Tuipolotu likely to be out for the last two games apparently. Shame as I think he has been good and added some power this year too, but will be exciting to see Redpath get two games to show what he can do.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:41 am Tuipolotu likely to be out for the last two games apparently. Shame as I think he has been good and added some power this year too, but will be exciting to see Redpath get two games to show what he can do.

power is the key ingredient we could miss. When he first arrived many thought he was just a crash ball centre, of course he swiftly showed he is so much more. But he does offer that option in a way Redpath and Jones can't. Even McDowell for all his size doesnlt take contact the same way.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I’m sure I heard his carries/dominant-carries ratio is way up.

Redpath makes plenty of metres that he has no right to, but he simply doesn't have that power combined with the low centre of gravity. It will be interesting to see how we adjust.

God forbid we get Duhan actually running on to the ball through the middle.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Darcy Graham is out for 3 to 4 months. His groin injury requires surgery. That’s a real shame for him, he’s had no luck this past year or so. Steyn is a very adequate replacement but Darcy is a special talent who’ll be missed.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

BaldiePete wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:18 am Darcy Graham is out for 3 to 4 months. His groin injury requires surgery. That’s a real shame for him, he’s had no luck this past year or so. Steyn is a very adequate replacement but Darcy is a special talent who’ll be missed.
Yeah, with all his injuries, people forget quite how good he is. A free run of games next year and he should be a lion (not that that will be his main target but would be recognition of how good he is).
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Edinburgh lock Marshall Sykes has been recalled by Scotland for the first time in two years as the squad prepares for Saturday's Six Nations game in Italy.

Gregor Townsend has called up 24-year-old Sykes for the first time since the 2022 Six Nations in place of Scarlets second row Alex Craig.

Oyonnax's Rory Sutherland and Javan Sebastian of Edinburgh are recalled as Edinburgh prop WP Nel, 37, drops out.

Glasgow Warriors scrum-half Jamie Dobie is also called back in to the squad.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68468253

I’m not convinced Sykes is international class but I presume he’s just there to hold tackle bags and provide some opposition during training. Sebastian did ok for Edinburgh when he came on against Ospreys last week and I suppose we have to move on from Nel sometime. While it’s good to see Sutherland back, the BBC report says he’s hardly played for Oyonnax since signing for them after the World Cup. Barring injuries I’d be surprised to see him straight back into the 23.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I’ve not seen him on their team-sheets whenever I’ve looked. Whether through injury or non-selection it’s not good for his chances.

What a shame how little he’s played at the top level in the last 3 years. I’d be surprised to see him look as good as he did in 2020 again.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:21 pm
Edinburgh lock Marshall Sykes has been recalled by Scotland for the first time in two years as the squad prepares for Saturday's Six Nations game in Italy.

Gregor Townsend has called up 24-year-old Sykes for the first time since the 2022 Six Nations in place of Scarlets second row Alex Craig.

Oyonnax's Rory Sutherland and Javan Sebastian of Edinburgh are recalled as Edinburgh prop WP Nel, 37, drops out.

Glasgow Warriors scrum-half Jamie Dobie is also called back in to the squad.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68468253

I’m not convinced Sykes is international class but I presume he’s just there to hold tackle bags and provide some opposition during training. Sebastian did ok for Edinburgh when he came on against Ospreys last week and I suppose we have to move on from Nel sometime. While it’s good to see Sutherland back, the BBC report says he’s hardly played for Oyonnax since signing for them after the World Cup. Barring injuries I’d be surprised to see him straight back into the 23.
Don't feel that Sykes has kicked on since being poached from Glasgow but that there's still a bunch of potential in there. Age old question of whether he hasn't developed because he hasn't played enough or whether he needed to show more in training in order to play.

Believe that Sutherland is stuck behind the captain at his club.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Thoughts on the team for Saturday?

Only real debate is probably over the back row make up and maybe 12. I still prefer Rowe to Steyn on the wing but accept I am in the minority on that. .

I'd go with Christie in for Ritchie and think either Redpath or McDowell will be fine at 12.

For all the chat about Italy improving we should really be beating them this weekend.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Big D wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:12 pm Thoughts on the team for Saturday?

Only real debate is probably over the back row make up and maybe 12. I still prefer Rowe to Steyn on the wing but accept I am in the minority on that. .

I'd go with Christie in for Ritchie and think either Redpath or McDowell will be fine at 12.

For all the chat about Italy improving we should really be beating them this weekend.

I’m happy with Steyn on the wing and agree about Christie over Ritchie but suspect Townsend will stick with Ritchie. My preference would be for Redpath over McDowell, because he’s more familiar with Russell, but as you say McDowell should be fine.

We need to stop fearing Italy. We’re better than them and would have to play really badly to lose. That’s a hostage to fortune right there. :roll:
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, I think Redpath slots in with McDowall on the bench. The only real question (Steyn/Rowe aside) other than that is the backrow. I suspect it will be Ritchie but I'd be tempted by Fagerson. I think Christie will stay on the bench but wouldn't be unhalpy with him starting.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, 2 of Healy/McDowell/Rowe and 2 of Christie/Ritchie/Fagerson are the only predicaments I see really.

Was there a question over White’s fitness again? I can’t remember.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:22 pm
We need to stop fearing Italy. We’re better than them and would have to play really badly to lose.

We don't fear Italy. But we must respect them. Failure to do that and thinking we just turn up nd thrown it around is a surefire way to lose.
The "fear" in this match is that Italy do not fear Scotland. This Is a game they always target, always get up for. And they will take much encouragement from their draw away to France - a real moral victory

We will need a top performance, lots of retained possession and territory, kill any Italian momentum, throttle them
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:15 am Yeah, 2 of Healy/McDowell/Rowe and 2 of Christie/Ritchie/Fagerson are the only predicaments I see really.

Was there a question over White’s fitness again? I can’t remember.
Looks like 6. Christie 20. Ritchie 21. Fagerson 22. Price 23. Rowe is the answer.

George Horne starts at 9 so I guess White isn't fit.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Scotland team to face Italy at Stadio Olimpico, Rome, in the Guinness Men’s Six Nations on Saturday 9 March, kick-off 2.15pm (UK) – live on ITV/STV (caps in brackets):

15. Blair Kinghorn – Toulouse (51)
14. Kyle Steyn – Glasgow Warriors (17)
13. Huw Jones – Glasgow Warriors (46)
12. Cameron Redpath – Bath Rugby (12)
11. Duhan van der Merwe – Edinburgh Rugby (37)

10. Finn Russell – Co-Captain – Bath Rugby (78)
9. George Horne – Glasgow Warriors (28)

1. Pierre Schoeman – Edinburgh Rugby (29)
2. George Turner – Glasgow Warriors (43)
3. Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors (65)
4. Grant Gilchrist – Vice-Captain – Edinburgh Rugby (70)
5. Scott Cummings – Glasgow Warriors (36)
6. Andy Christie – Saracens (6)
7. Rory Darge – Co-Captain – Glasgow Warriors (17)
8. Jack Dempsey – Glasgow Warriors (18)

Replacements

16. Ewan Ashman – Edinburgh Rugby (15)
17. Alec Hepburn – Exeter Chiefs (3)
18. Elliot Millar-Mills – Northampton Saints (2)
19. Sam Skinner – Edinburgh Rugby (33)
20. Jamie Ritchie – Edinburgh Rugby (48)
21. Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors (42)
22. Ali Price – Edinburgh Rugby (66)
23. Kyle Rowe – Glasgow Warriors (3)
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Happy with that. I'm sure White, as did Kinghorn, played at the weekend for their clubs, so unless he's injured it may be a bit of rotation to give him a rest. Hopefully Horne will add a bit more tempo.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

That’s a good team. Great to see Horne and Christie getting a start. Does anyone know if White has picked up an injury. Bench is 6:2 so Kinghorn must be covering for Russell. Who’s covering centre though, I don’t think Rowe plays there. We could see Kinghorn at 10 and Russell at 12 if one of the centres goes down. :o
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Good looking team. 6/2 bench split guarantees us 3 injuries in the backs within the first 30..
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep, Townsend has confirmed White just needed a rest, having played for Toulon in rest weeks. I'd forgotten about that. It doesn't feel like Horne has had many starts in the settled first XV so that should be interesting to see.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Expect Kyle Steyn will cover centre (13) with Rowe going to wing etc.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:00 pm Yep, Townsend has confirmed White just needed a rest, having played for Toulon in rest weeks. I'd forgotten about that. It doesn't feel like Horne has had many starts in the settled first XV so that should be interesting to see.

Horne has only ever started four games, none of them at Murrayfield. :o

Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Probably more worried about this game than any of the others, weirdly. Not that I think Italy are most likely to beat us by any means just I'm more 'que sera sera' with the other games (you'll have noticed from my level headed and objective posts during and after those games) whereas losing to Italy would really piss me off.