2024 Six Nations

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: 2024 Six Nations

Post by Big D »

It does look a bit odd but we seemed to spend a lot of time defending and kicking the ball away which will lead to.
defensive penalties. Some were utter BS as well. The -12 differntial from the Wales game makes it look worse too.

But I also wonder whether the coaches have been getting refs in during the week. England have refs dropping in and out, SA and France have ex refs on their staff etc. In 2020 France gave away 50odd penalties and a player carded every game and immediately got Garces involved at training sessions. His remit is now also matchday liaision and Intel on the refs.

Other teams have taken steps to professionalise how they deal with refs. Have Scotland?

By all means ask questions but the SRU/coaches need to make sure we are doing everything to control what we can control and I'm not sure they are.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 pm It does look a bit odd but we seemed to spend a lot of time defending and kicking the ball away which will lead to.
defensive penalties. Some were utter BS as well. The -12 differntial from the Wales game makes it look worse too.

But I also wonder whether the coaches have been getting refs in during the week. England have refs dropping in and out, SA and France have ex refs on their staff etc. In 2020 France gave away 50odd penalties and a player carded every game and immediately got Garces involved at training sessions. His remit is now also matchday liaision and Intel on the refs.

Other teams have taken steps to professionalise how they deal with refs. Have Scotland?

By all means ask questions but the SRU/coaches need to make sure we are doing everything to control what we can control and I'm not sure they are.
I’d be keen to know that too.

I don’t know if it’s just my inherent bias, but it feels like the coaching around the breakdown from refs (giving instructions to the opposition to stop slowing the ball or whatever it might be) continually allows other sides to halt what we’re doing without actually conceding penalties.

I’d guess many supporters would say the same of their own team, rather than it being that all refs have it out for Scotland, but we should at least be better at doing this ourselves and actually listening to the refs calls when we get the chance.

It’s just one of many areas we don’t seem quite as canny as other sides. It’s very hard to judge if that’s us actually getting any unfair treatment though. It feels like whenever we step up the intensity and aggression we negate it with recklessness and losing focus.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 pm It does look a bit odd but we seemed to spend a lot of time defending and kicking the ball away which will lead to.

And SA have a ref in. Actually we do the same. Our problem is we bring in Scotland's top ref, Mike Adamson who frankly is hopeless
That said I do not believe we behave that much if any differently from other teams. I simply do not understand how the stats turned out so skewed against, even allowing for the shit v Wales. I have no answer
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:26 pm

And SA have a ref in. Actually we do the same. Our problem is we bring in Scotland's top ref, Mike Adamson who frankly is hopeless
That said I do not believe we behave that much if any differently from other teams. I simply do not understand how the stats turned out so skewed against, even allowing for the shit v Wales. I have no answer
Peyper is part of the staff with SA now. So able to actively advise how to handle certain refs. I'm sure along with Garces they probably get to know the intricacies well and also help in match week discussions with refs. Adamson or Davidson (she's a better ref than him IMO) will be very restricted in what they can advise on.

There are obviously budget issues but it might be a necessary step to hire an ex internatuonal ref as a consultant. They have JP Doyle involved with refs but his remit is referees.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Holly Davidson is Scotland’s top referee. Undoubtedly better than Mike Adamson. Get her in to advise the players.

Do referees come into matches with pre-conceived ideas of how Scotland play and look for things we’re doing wrong because they’re expecting it, but don’t actively look for it in other teams because they don’t have a reputation for giving away those penalties. Alternatively, taking off the tinfoil hat, perhaps our discipline is just poor and we can’t keep focus. In which case we probably need a full time sports psychologist to work with the international team and both pro-teams.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm

Holly Davidson is Scotland’s top referee. Undoubtedly better than Mike Adamson. Get her in to advise the players.

Do referees come into matches with pre-conceived ideas of how Scotland play and look for things we’re doing wrong because they’re expecting it, but don’t actively look for it in other teams because they don’t have a reputation for giving away those penalties. Alternatively, taking off the tinfoil hat, perhaps our discipline is just poor and we can’t keep focus. In which case we probably need a full time sports psychologist to work with the international team and both pro-teams.
Loads of points
Holly Davidson is also involved with the national team
Do refs hav epre conceieved ideas about Scotland? We would be the only team they didn't have preconceived ideas about. Yes they look for stuff. Its right that they should look out for Porter cheating in the scrum, as Barnes did in the RWC and ref didn't this week, but it can be ahuge problem when they "see" things that don't actually happen and/or miss stuff right in front of thier nose because they are still searching for the preconceived stuff
We have had poor disciple in the past. I just dd not see it this time
We have a full time sports psychologist

Ask yourself, rewatch games if you can and ask yourself, do we look less disciplined than others? Are others really not offending 50% less than us?
A lot comes from the Welsh game where the idiot was penalising us for toe nail offsides, while coaching Wales players to step back. That was a number of pens which shold not have been given against us and/or given to us. But its not the whole story and I don't understand it
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

We use a Kiwi called Aaron Walsh as mental skills coach, who I think only part-time consults for us. His full time job is with the Chiefs in Super Rugby. We need someone full time who can also work with the pro teams.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

It often seems to me that we get on the wrong side of refs far too easily. I'm only going to body language and voice tone in saying that, I'm sure refs would take affront at the idea that they skew one way or the other,l based on personalities (although personally I would think it only natural to do so) but it does often seem to me that refs don't enjoy reffing Scotland.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

It's not over yet of course, Scotland's ladies are 4 points up away at Wales with 12 minutes left. Good period of sustained pressure from Scotland but a couple of big injuries too. Great defence from Wales.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

7 points up with 7 minutes to go.... 😬
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Well, we were talking about refs... Signals for a blatant knock on against Wales then let's Wales continue in possession and gives the penalty against Scotland? 🤔
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Scot up by 2 with 30 seconds left
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Hahahahhahha Wales pull a Scotland and kick away possession when behind on the scoreboard, Scotland win away in Cardiff for the first time!? Awesome, kinda feel for that poor Welsh 9 who box kicked it away, but Wales should never have been awarded their try so fairs fair.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

7 wins in a row for Scotland, and shows the benefits of winning the 2nd tier world rugby comp rather than getting humped in the 1st tier. Great 2nd half from Scotland, soaked up Welsh pressure and took their chances.
Last edited by Donny osmond on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

You could have joined me in the women's rugby board.

And, wow, that was stupid from Wales 21.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm You could have joined me in the women's rugby board.

And, wow, that was stupid from Wales 21.
:D :D sorry, didn't see it
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Which Tyler wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm And, wow, that was stupid from Wales 21.
very similar to Cardiff scrum half at end of Glasgow game last night. Warriors 4pts up, clock goes into red and a loud hooter sounds. I he wants simply to protect the LBP, when llits ball from breakdown, he has options to run into touch (couple of yards away), kick it isdeways or backwards into touch, or pass it back for someelse to kick it out. f he wants to play for the win needs to keep possession, probably pass infiled away from touch. Instead he puts in short grubber up the touchline for winger to chase. Fortunately for Cardiff, ball dribbles into touch, else open to a Glasgow counter which is their strong suit and getting no LBP