Flooding

Which Tyler

Flooding

Post by Which Tyler »

Here we go again:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... nk-9012124

I've been here 16 years, this is the 2nd (maybe 3rd) time it's risen above the "once in a century" level. This time, with deliberately added sewage!

Another involuntary day off work; already had 1 patient say "I'm a fisherman, I've got waders, I can get to you" and be unhappy with a (more diplomatic) response of "I'm not, I don't, I can't"
morepork

Re: Flooding

Post by morepork »

A lot of places around the world need a managed retreat from natural water courses and stop trying to contain water against it's will. These events are part of the weather cycle now. Still we arse about with planning for it.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:55 am Here we go again:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... nk-9012124

I've been here 16 years, this is the 2nd (maybe 3rd) time it's risen above the "once in a century" level. This time, with deliberately added sewage!

Another involuntary day off work; already had 1 patient say "I'm a fisherman, I've got waders, I can get to you" and be unhappy with a (more diplomatic) response of "I'm not, I don't, I can't"
Have they dredged any of the waterways up that way in recent history WT?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Numbers wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:47 pm Have they dredged any of the waterways up that way in recent history WT?
TBH, it wouldn't make much difference for this sort of flooding - it's just the sheer quantity of water dropped on N Wales and E Midlands a couple of days previously.

But yes, they do dredge the drainage ditches on the flood plain every 4-5 years or so, but that only really helps in draining off the flood plain.
What Tewkesbury needs is to slow the time taken for the rain water to reach the water sources, and allow the flood plains upstream to do their jobs.
Which means trees rather than livestock, and limiting the building of housing estates on flat ground that's cheap to build on (and allowing places like Worcester and Shrewsbury to flood as well).
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

A satellite image of Tewkesbury, Saturday Morning.
Same location (as near as I can make them) or a more normal satellite (composite) image from Google Maps for comparison.