England vs Wales - minute-by-minute

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: England vs Wales - minute-by-minute

Post by FKAS »

p/d wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:36 pm Or, as Ed Slater comments;
‘In other words, they want to use players that have come through the 20s pathway irrespective of whether those guys are playing or not. Sounds like the pathway from age group rugby trumps form to me. Who comes up with these ridiculous ideas…"
Big fan of Ed Slater but Roots and Dombrant didn't come through the England age group system and Zach Mercer did. Not sure that this is in the context of the Mercer debate is it?
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:42 pm Sadly Bereft also told Ribbans he needed to be more physical. er...lol
Depends in what context. I doubt very much someone as detail orientated as Shiny Baldpatch would say something as general as "be more physical" but he might say work on this element of your technique as I want more dominant tackles from you.
p/d

Post by p/d »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:20 pm
Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:42 pm Sadly Bereft also told Ribbans he needed to be more physical. er...lol
Depends in what context. I doubt very much someone as detail orientated as Shiny Baldpatch would say something as general as "be more physical" but he might say work on this element of your technique as I want more dominant tackles from you.
Apologies. I lifted that from Ed’s comment on the A squad after O’Shea tried to explain selections
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

A definitive answer as to how long we looked at (failed) scrums:

https://x.com/aluncarter1/status/175915 ... MV3j-SK8yQ
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I rate Mercer highly and at the time the 6N squad was picked, I would have picked him ahead of CCS. However, anyone who publicly says they are ‘done with England for now’ (or words to that effect), is hardly likely to get a call-ups few weeks later.

In the meantime, CCS has arguably been our find of the tournament, Earl has continued to do well at 8 and well most probably see Barbeary next weekend. Not picking Mercer has actually worked out pretty well so far.

If he lets his rugby do the talking and makes himself a must pick, I’d have no issue bringing him back in to the mix in the summer. Right now, it feels like some water under the bridge is no bad thing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

verbatim, pretty much. But as you seem acquainted with stumpy blinders inner workings no doubt you know better.
Last edited by Banquo on Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:54 pm A definitive answer as to how long we looked at (failed) scrums:

https://x.com/aluncarter1/status/175915 ... MV3j-SK8yQ
And for love of good stop drink breaks!
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

p/d wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:26 pm
Apologies. I lifted that from Ed’s comment on the A squad after O’Shea tried to explain selections
Ah got you, makes sense. O'Shea's job is all about the pathway development so would make sense he'd want an emphasis on age grade players stepping up.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:04 pm
verbatim, pretty much.
:lol: so not verbatim then :lol:
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 pm

verbatim, pretty much.
fair- the pedants are revolting. But point stands..Sometimes so called work ons are lip service or public red herrings.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:17 pm
p/d wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:26 pm

Ah got you, makes sense. O'Shea's job is all about the pathway development so would make sense he'd want an emphasis on age grade players stepping up.
They want tier2 to be a big part of the pathways for developing talent, with each player identified having a long term plan.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:30 pm
verbatim, pretty much.
fair- the pedants are revolting. But point stands..Sometimes so called work ons are lip service or public red herrings.
As Borthwick refuses to discuss them beyond what he says to the player if not a good public red herring.

As Ribbans got selected he must have showed the required levels of "physicality".

Either way Mercer doesn't seem to like what's he's been told and seems to be more take it or leave it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:32 pm

As Borthwick refuses to discuss them beyond what he says to the player if not a good public red herring.

As Ribbans got selected he must have showed the required levels of "physicality".

Either way Mercer doesn't seem to like what's he's been told and seems to be more take it or leave it.
Its why he signed for Toulon, he believed he had no long term future under SB.

St Borthers then.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:43 pm

St Borthers then.
No future despite being selected in the 6N and the world cup squad? He also announced his move on 10th Feb last year at which point England had played one game under Borthwick who'd been in post for less than 2 months and at which point Ribbans was in the squad though not the 23.

More likely he left because he had a long term back problem and wanted to maximise his income in case it became worse. Which I doubt anyone could fault him for.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:10 pm

St Borthers then.
No future despite being selected in the 6N and the world cup squad? He also announced his move on 10th Feb last year at which point England had played one game under Borthwick who'd been in post for less than 2 months and at which point Ribbans was in the squad though not the 23.

More likely he left because he had a long term back problem and wanted to maximise his income in case it became worse. Which I doubt anyone could fault him for.
He announced his move after the chat I refer to with SB....just sayin'. I do know a little about it.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:34 pm

St Borthers then.

He announced his move after the chat I refer to with SB....just sayin'. I do know a little about it.
If that's really the case he wasn't a very good judge of character, if his move is as you say solely based on potential international future what with Borthwick giving him 70% of his caps.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:50 pm

If that's really the case he wasn't a very good judge of character, if his move is as you say solely based on potential international future what with Borthwick giving him 70% of his caps.
It is so! suspect Toulon life isn’t so bad.
To be fair to sb he does change his mind about players- see Mitchell.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Banquo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:13 am

From what I heard coming out of Tigers, Silly Barnacle is very demanding but also likely to reward those that put the effort in.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mercer will probably get a chance just as his form drops - shades of Simmonds in several ways.

It will be interesting to look back in ten years time and debate who was the biggest block to progress: Farrell, Tuilagi or Billy V. It seems to me that the way all three play suits coaches but not the other players.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It will not be interesting.
p/d

Post by p/d »

It will be a disappointing use of ten years if I am here discussing it.
loudnconfident

Post by loudnconfident »

Thanks again for the M-by-M @Puja
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Yes, thank you again - always interesting to see what I missed live, and have my biases and opinions challenged - and especially, challenged in a pretty irrefutable way!
Greebo

Post by Greebo »

Thank you Puja. Once again a very interesting read.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:41 am
Banquo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:13 am

From what I heard coming out of Tigers, Silly Barnacle is very demanding but also likely to reward those that put the effort in.
My feedback from camps is this but he is also willing to shed preconceptions.