Wales v Ireland

Moderator: Sandydragon

Son of Mathonwy

Wales v Ireland

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Griffin and Rogers out of the squad, injured.

Who to bring in? Botha and Giles? Probably neither . . .

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... x-28622892
Tuco Ramirez

Re: Wales v Ireland

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Botha - 33 year old SAFFA - No from me... On this Issue, Ireland will be doing the HAKA soon ffs
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I suppose it depends if Brown is fit again. Roberts seemed to be there for depth only so they might not bother to replace him unless another back three player takes a knock against Ireland.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Tuco Ramirez wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 am Botha - 33 year old SAFFA - No from me... On this Issue, Ireland will be doing the HAKA soon ffs
That would be a very short term fix at the expense of blooding another player who could make the next RWC.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Tuco Ramirez wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 am Botha - 33 year old SAFFA - No from me... On this Issue, Ireland will be doing the HAKA soon ffs
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sour much? I think we've got 3 in the squad and it's not like numbers are increasing. Maybe we could do a tenth of a haka if it will keep you happy.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:35 pm
Sour much? I think we've got 3 in the squad and it's not like numbers are increasing. Maybe we could do a tenth of a haka if it will keep you happy.
Not a case of being Sour EM. Just don't agree with the eligibility farce. Its a shambles. Should be at least a grand parent for me. People like The Saffa no 8 you used to have who effed off back over there as soon as his career was over. Stander thats his name... poor. Scotland are worse.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Tuco Ramirez wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:08 pm
Not a case of being Sour EM. Just don't agree with the eligibility farce. Its a shambles. Should be at least a grand parent for me. People like The Saffa no 8 you used to have who effed off back over there as soon as his career was over. Stander thats his name... poor. Scotland are worse.
In the pub before the Wales v Scotland game, I had two Scotland supporters having a pop at Wales for playing the likes of Faletau and Tompkins. One of the Scots fans was English and the other South African, which I found both ironic and appropriate.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I agree with this in principle but I also think that if you've been raised in a certain country you should be eligible to play for them having come through their development pathways, case in point would be Faletau.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Further to that, I don't think you should be allowed to switch allegiance, i.e. Henry Thomas.
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Numbers wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:34 pm Further to that, I don't think you should be allowed to switch allegiance, i.e. Henry Thomas.
Absolutely agree
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:25 pm

In the pub before the Wales v Scotland game, I had two Scotland supporters having a pop at Wales for playing the likes of Faletau and Tompkins. One of the Scots fans was English and the other South African, which I found both ironic and appropriate.
Tompkins has Welsh grandparent, Faletau was raised here and came through the age grades. Nothing to see here.... I was against the Cardiff Centre Halaholo being capped by Wales a few seasons ago, got lambasted for it but i stand by that.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Numbers wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:34 pm Further to that, I don't think you should be allowed to switch allegiance, i.e. Henry Thomas.
I totally understand the intent behind that law change, but it doesn’t feel right.
Eugene Wrayburn

The rules have changed. I expect we'll have fewer in future. I think I'm content with the new rules: 5 years or a grandparent (who actually exists). It's little more than that for nationality - less in some countries. 5 years is more than a standard contract. I am always less than pleased when people leave and head straight back "home". At least Irish rugby by necessity makes people stay whilst they are being capped. Bundee staying at Connacht when he absolutely didn't have to is a sign of real dedication. He's more than paid his dues.

Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:14 pm

The rules have changed. I expect we'll have fewer in future. I think I'm content with the new rules: 5 years or a grandparent (who actually exists). It's little more than that for nationality - less in some countries. 5 years is more than a standard contract. I am always less than pleased when people leave and head straight back "home". At least Irish rugby by necessity makes people stay whilst they are being capped. Bundee staying at Connacht when he absolutely didn't have to is a sign of real dedication. He's more than paid his dues.
Hadleigh Parks was another for us.... great for Wales but not Welsh.... If a duck lives in a stable for 5 years it does not make it a horse.

I am a Swansea City football fan. We signed a Spaniard called Angel Rangel he stayed for 11 years, married a girl from Merthyr and his kids are Welsh speakers. He is still a Spaniard though. Thats how it should be for me.
Son of Mathonwy

Tuco Ramirez wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:44 am

Hadleigh Parks was another for us.... great for Wales but not Welsh.... If a duck lives in a stable for 5 years it does not make it a horse.

I am a Swansea City football fan. We signed a Spaniard called Angel Rangel he stayed for 11 years, married a girl from Merthyr and his kids are Welsh speakers. He is still a Spaniard though. Thats how it should be for me.
Agreed. I only want people playing for Wales who could honestly say, 'I am Welsh'. So not even 5 years does it for me. We'd be stupid not to take advantage of the rule as it is, but I'd make it even longer - 7 years.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:59 am
Tuco Ramirez wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:44 am

Agreed. I only want people playing for Wales who could honestly say, 'I am Welsh'. So not even 5 years does it for me. We'd be stupid not to take advantage of the rule as it is, but I'd make it even longer - 7 years.
Exactly this. Im all for changing the rules but at the same time Im not going to disadvantage ourselves if everyone else is doing it.
Eugene Wrayburn

Anyway, what's the feeling in Wales about this one? Tight but do-able or pretty much impossible?

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:45 pm Anyway, what's the feeling in Wales about this one? Tight but do-able or pretty much impossible?
The longest of long shots. I hate to say impossible as a red card after 90 seconds can hurt any team, but there’s not one area that I can see us dominating.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:53 pm
Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:45 pm Anyway, what's the feeling in Wales about this one? Tight but do-able or pretty much impossible?
The longest of long shots. I hate to say impossible as a red card after 90 seconds can hurt any team, but there’s not one area that I can see us dominating.
A couple of reds might do it. Otherwise we're just missing too many good players to compete over 80 minutes. We're measurably worse than we were in the world cup, and that wasn't exactly a world-beating team.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

You should win by about 15-20 points, I'm hoping not any more than that.
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Pretty much impossible for me.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Harri o' Connor had been brought into the squad as a replacement for Griffin.
Eugene Wrayburn

pompey-zebra wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:20 am
Sounds like one of ours, ya thieving bastards!

Interesting to me that expectations are so low. There's still a part of me that thinks all our success is some sort of mirage due to evaporate any second, but logically this shouldn't be close.

Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:52 pm

Interesting to me that expectations are so low. There's still a part of me that thinks all our success is some sort of mirage due to evaporate any second, but logically this shouldn't be close.
You have a very good coach who has taken a group of talented players and turned them into a good team. Certainly in the top 4 in the world, arguably top 2. Its natural for us Celts to look for the dark cloud but enjoy it whilst it lasts, these things tend to be cyclical and if this is Ireland's golden age then fair play.
Eugene Wrayburn

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:54 am
Eugene Wrayburn wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:52 pm

You have a very good coach who has taken a group of talented players and turned them into a good team. Certainly in the top 4 in the world, arguably top 2. Its natural for us Celts to look for the dark cloud but enjoy it whilst it lasts, these things tend to be cyclical and if this is Ireland's golden age then fair play.
We've already long surpassed what I ever thought possible back when I started following rugby in the 80s. I'm pretty good at enjoying it, but it's never really expected.