Wales v France

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Wales v France

Post by Numbers »

Well after the weekends action this could possibly be the game to target winning, France look poor without Dupont and N'Tamack and now it looks like Jalibert and Danty may be out, I'm not convinced we'll win unless we can start to secure our own possession at the set piece and realistically they still have a more experienced team than us by a decent margin, however they aren't great travellers historically and they don't seem to have a lot of confidence at the moment.

I think we may sneak this one but again it's not going to be a big win either way, so far in this competition Ireland have looked decidedly better than everyone else and Scotland a bit better than the other 4 nations, other than that it's much of a muchness and home advantage could see us win the last two, equally I wouldn't be suirprised if we lost the last two but fingers crossed we get at least one result as a wooden spoon wouldn't be great for confidence.
Sandydragon

Re: Wales v France

Post by Sandydragon »

Numbers wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am Well after the weekends action this could possibly be the game to target winning, France look poor without Dupont and N'Tamack and now it looks like Jalibert and Danty may be out, I'm not convinced we'll win unless we can start to secure our own possession at the set piece and realistically they still have a more experienced team than us by a decent margin, however they aren't great travellers historically and they don't seem to have a lot of confidence at the moment.

I think we may sneak this one but again it's not going to be a big win either way, so far in this competition Ireland have looked decidedly better than everyone else and Scotland a bit better than the other 4 nations, other than that it's much of a muchness and home advantage could see us win the last two, equally I wouldn't be suirprised if we lost the last two but fingers crossed we get at least one result as a wooden spoon wouldn't be great for confidence.
France are very luck not to have 3 losses from 3, the last two games both showing some interesting refereeing interventions. It’s a big ask for a young team but not an impossible one.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Before Sunday I was thinking we'll just win the Italy game. Now I'm thinking win both or lose both are entirely possible. Nice to have shot at 4th place though.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

The French XV is in disarray with some disagreement on team selection between the coaches and pig-headed Galthié.

You have a chance - seize it with both hands.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm The French XV is in disarray with some disagreement on team selection between the coaches and pig-headed Galthié.

Just when we thought French rugby was back with a bang the egos are getting in the way again, a real shame as we would like to see France at their brilliant best.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Numbers wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:56 am
francoisfou wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:40 pm The French XV is in disarray with some disagreement on team selection between the coaches and pig-headed Galthié.

Just when we thought French rugby was back with a bang the egos are getting in the way again, a real shame as we would like to see France at their brilliant best.
Ideally after March 10th
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm

Ideally after March 10th
Yeah. In fact I'm not that fussed to see the French bouncing back at all. What's good for them is bad for us.

There's only one team I'd like to see back to their brilliant best.
Tuco Ramirez

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Ideally after March 10th
Yeah. In fact I'm not that fussed to see the French bouncing back at all. What's good for them is bad for us.

Exactly.... fvck em :D
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Tuco Ramirez wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:30 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Ideally after March 10th

Exactly.... fvck em :D
Oh I dunno, I cheer them on once a year!
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:32 pm Oh I dunno, I cheer them on once a year!
:lol:

pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Fail reporting ahead of the team announcement today that Joe Roberts is due to start and Dafydd Jenkins is to be moved to blindside to accommodate the return of Rowlands in the 2nd row.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:47 am Fail reporting ahead of the team announcement today that Joe Roberts is due to start and Dafydd Jenkins is to be moved to blindside to accommodate the return of Rowlands in the 2nd row.
Seems sensible given the size of the French pack, Roberts is a class player so no qualms with that.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

It is an odd feeling, but it does not seem to matter what team we put out so long as it yields information for the future.

The odds are stacked against us, with the French pack looking very strong. As long as we give it a real go and are not too conservative we have a small chance. This really is a season for rebuilding, still trying to compensate for time lost a few years ago. Gatland will not get much sympathy if we don't have a balanced team next year.

#.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Wales team: 15. Cameron Winnett, 14. Josh Adams, 13. Joe Roberts, 12. Owen Watkin, 11. Rio Dyer, 10. Sam Costelow, 9 Tomos Williams; 1. Gareth Thomas, 2. Ryan Elias, 3. Keiron Assiratti, 4. Will Rowlands, 5. Adam Beard, 6. Dafydd Jenkins (capt), 7. Tommy Reffell, 8. Aaron Wainwright

Replacements: 16. Elliot Dee, 17. Corey Domachowski, 18. Dillon Lewis, 19. Alex Mann, 20. Mackenzie Martin, 21. Gareth Davies, 22. Ioan Lloyd, 23. Mason Grady
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The bench looks good for impact, let's hope the lineout woes are fixed or it could be a long afternoon, strange to see Owen Watkin starting but maybe he deserves another chance and he is defensivelt very sound, Tompkins hasn't been the same level that he was at during the Wrold Cup so far this tournament.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

I am a bit surprised by the centres, but I suppose it is experimental in a game we are not expected to win. Jenkins at 6 gives a bit more flexibility on the bench. The bench looks strong (I still have doubts about Lewis's scrummaging, although it seems to have got a bit better). Maybe we are planning to win the game in the last few minutes - or more probably just to avoid imploding at the end.

Sooner or later Grady has to start living up to the hype.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Hmmm odd
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Numbers wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 am Wales team: 15. Cameron Winnett, 14. Josh Adams, 13. Joe Roberts, 12. Owen Watkin, 11. Rio Dyer, 10. Sam Costelow, 9 Tomos Williams; 1. Gareth Thomas, 2. Ryan Elias, 3. Keiron Assiratti, 4. Will Rowlands, 5. Adam Beard, 6. Dafydd Jenkins (capt), 7. Tommy Reffell, 8. Aaron Wainwright

Replacements: 16. Elliot Dee, 17. Corey Domachowski, 18. Dillon Lewis, 19. Alex Mann, 20. Mackenzie Martin, 21. Gareth Davies, 22. Ioan Lloyd, 23. Mason Grady
I'm not sure Daf is a 6 - not fast enough. I'm also not sure Owen Watkin is actually a rugby player. I quite like Joe Roberts though. Hoping Elliot has been practicing his darts. Other than that - it's a good bench.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

UKHamlet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:24 pm
Numbers wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 am Wales team: 15. Cameron Winnett, 14. Josh Adams, 13. Joe Roberts, 12. Owen Watkin, 11. Rio Dyer, 10. Sam Costelow, 9 Tomos Williams; 1. Gareth Thomas, 2. Ryan Elias, 3. Keiron Assiratti, 4. Will Rowlands, 5. Adam Beard, 6. Dafydd Jenkins (capt), 7. Tommy Reffell, 8. Aaron Wainwright

I'm not sure Daf is a 6 - not fast enough. I'm also not sure Owen Watkin is actually a rugby player. I quite like Joe Roberts though. Hoping Elliot has been practicing his darts. Other than that - it's a good bench.
Completely agree. I,m not a huge fan of moving a lock to six and hoping he will be a huge revelation. I really hope Im proven wrong and I do get the rationale for brining Rowlands into the starting XV.

Apart from his defensive work, what does Watkin bring for us? Id prefer to have North at 12 i think
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Very happy that ROberts gets an opportunity.

Suggestion in the Fail that Gatland might revert to North and Tompkins if we lose this weekend to increase the potential for a win against Italy. Probably not far off the mark.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:43 pm

Completely agree. I,m not a huge fan of moving a lock to six and hoping he will be a huge revelation. I really hope Im proven wrong and I do get the rationale for brining Rowlands into the starting XV.

Apart from his defensive work, what does Watkin bring for us? Id prefer to have North at 12 i think
I'm totally against the centre changes. I guess they may be thinking that losing North's bulk is compensated for by bringing in Watkin for Tompkins. But Watkins gives nothing other than solid defence, god knows he's had enough chances at this level - he's not really international class for me. Roberts hasn't convinced me he's anything more than a good regional centre. We've got rid of two of our best players.

Instinctively I'm not quite so opposed to Jenkins at 6 but my head says no, don't do it. Daf has not played much 6 at all so why try him as a hybrid lock/6 now? Not a good idea for me.

I would have stuck with the team for Ireland but switched Dee and Elias, Lloyd and Costelow, put Grady on the wing, dropped Adams completely and tried Roberts at 23. (Even better, bring Giles into the squad).

This is not a game for experimentation - it's a tough one we should be seriously trying to win.

"Nick and George have been spoken to. They firmly believe in what we are doing," said Forshaw. Yeah right :lol:
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

I'm totally against the centre changes. I guess they may be thinking that losing North's bulk is compensated for by bringing in Watkin for Tompkins. But Watkins gives nothing other than solid defence, god knows he's had enough chances at this level - he's not really international class for me. Roberts hasn't convinced me he's anything more than a good regional centre. We've got rid of two of our best players.

Instinctively I'm not quite so opposed to Jenkins at 6 but my head says no, don't do it. Daf has not played much 6 at all so why try him as a hybrid lock/6 now? Not a good idea for me.

I would have stuck with the team for Ireland but switched Dee and Elias, Lloyd and Costelow, put Grady on the wing, dropped Adams completely and tried Roberts at 23. (Even better, bring Giles into the squad).

This is not a game for experimentation - it's a tough one we should be seriously trying to win.

"Nick and George have been spoken to. They firmly believe in what we are doing," said Forshaw. Yeah right :lol:
The fail said gatland has been considering experimenting with Jenkins at 6, and it would add bulk, but in the end that it's probably the only way to accommodate Rowlands and Beard without dropping the captain from the starting xv.

Watkins is a funny one. You'd think he's had the perfect introduction to international rugby- brought in gradually as a youngster as part of a successful team- and given that you'd expect he'd have stepped up when the old guard moved on. But that hasn't really happened, and there can't be many more chances to prove he's up to it. After all, he's effectively one of the senior players now.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I mentioned a week ago or so that the French team is in some disarray and that you should grab the chance of a win, but the probable side has just been leaked and it is potentially a very exciting one!
First caps for two 21-year-olds and former U20 players, Stade Français fullback Léo Barré and Bordeaux/Bègles centre Nicolas Depoortère. In the pack there's a first cap too for mountain man Emmanuel Meafou of Toulouse at 2m03cm and 140kgs, and Gregory Alldritt is back at 8 and is captain.

Bold and exciting selections by Fabien Galthié whose side have been disapointing so far in the 6N.

I rarely make bold predictions, but your boys are going to be in for a torrid Sunday afternoon!
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:55 pm

Suggestion in the Fail that Gatland might revert to North and Tompkins if we lose this weekend to increase the potential for a win against Italy. Probably not far off the mark.
I think that is both likely and sensible. Although if Roberts does very well he could still be in the mix for Italy.

Numbers

Post by Numbers »

pompey-zebra wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:53 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

The fail said gatland has been considering experimenting with Jenkins at 6, and it would add bulk, but in the end that it's probably the only way to accommodate Rowlands and Beard without dropping the captain from the starting xv.

Watkins is a funny one. You'd think he's had the perfect introduction to international rugby- brought in gradually as a youngster as part of a successful team- and given that you'd expect he'd have stepped up when the old guard moved on. But that hasn't really happened, and there can't be many more chances to prove he's up to it. After all, he's effectively one of the senior players now.
I think Jenkins at 6 is a decent enough call, he has the attributes for 6 i.e. high work rate, he's atheltic and gets arounfthe park, this isn't a long term solution thogh I think it's a mtter of horses for courses as he will add another good lineout option and increase the pack weight in the scrum against a massive French pack.

Watkin is a different kettle of fish, he hasn't been helped by being switched between 12 and 13 for most of his career to accomodate others like Tiaan Thomas Wheeler and Kieron Williams, I think he was 19 when he played the 1/4 final against SA in 2015 and he had a solid game, he doesn't seem to have improved a great deal in attack which is a shame (I think I remember him making one great break agauinst the ABs in Cardiff but that aside I can't remember hinm looking like an attacking threat much). Roberts is a differnet proposition as can be seen by the outside break that led to a try v England in the world cup warm up game he played in, he cuts very good lines, has a good step and brings a left footed kicking option, a different prospect from North just trying to run through brick walls, but as I said earlier in the thread the ability of the centres will be a moot point if wer can't win any decent quality ball.