Wales v France

Moderator: Sandydragon

Graigwen

Re: Wales v France

Post by Graigwen »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

This is not a game for experimentation - it's a tough one we should be seriously trying to win.

I think it is a game we will not win without experimentation.

Even with experimentation, the odds will be against us.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Graigwen wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:37 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

This is not a game for experimentation - it's a tough one we should be seriously trying to win.

I think it is a game we will not win without experimentation.

Even with experimentation, the odds will be against us.
At the start if the championships I might well have agreed. It would have taken a small miracle to beat them, and rolling the dice would be a serious option. But we've seen them showing signs of Gallic flakiness and are genuinely beatable now. To me that says we need to be solid and use our best players. If this was the world cup final we'd play North and Tompkins and IMO that's what we should do on Sunday. Roberts on the bench would be a reasonable option if we want to try him out.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I think my biggest disappointment is Watkin. Id rather some of our other 12 options were in the squad over a player who is a bit of a steady eddie character. Its not like Im groaning at his inclusion thinking that he wont be able to manage, more that whilst solid he offers little in attack, and he has had plenty of opportunity to demonstrate otherwise.

If we wre experimenting then North at 12 would be my preference or heaven forfend, Keiran Williams.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:52 am I think my biggest disappointment is Watkin. Id rather some of our other 12 options were in the squad over a player who is a bit of a steady eddie character. Its not like Im groaning at his inclusion thinking that he wont be able to manage, more that whilst solid he offers little in attack, and he has had plenty of opportunity to demonstrate otherwise.

If we wre experimenting then North at 12 would be my preference or heaven forfend, Keiran Williams.
Is Max Llewellyn still available for selection?
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Numbers wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:00 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:52 am I think my biggest disappointment is Watkin. Id rather some of our other 12 options were in the squad over a player who is a bit of a steady eddie character. Its not like Im groaning at his inclusion thinking that he wont be able to manage, more that whilst solid he offers little in attack, and he has had plenty of opportunity to demonstrate otherwise.

I think so. I think he signed for Gloucester before he was capped in the summer so should be still available. I know he has played a bit for Glaws, but I dont think he's been a regular.

Edit: ML signed for Gloucester in March 2023 and was capped August 2023.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:13 pm

I think so. I think he signed for Gloucester before he was capped in the summer so should be still available. I know he has played a bit for Glaws, but I dont think he's been a regular.

I was under the impression that he had been injured, but that could be wrong. Llewelyn has some real potential and if he is available then I'd like to see him given an opportunity.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I can’t see us getting much change in the scrums against this France pack and expect to us to give away a few penalties early doors.

Our line out has been troubled at times this season and I just pray Elias and Dee can get it right every time. Clean and quick line out ball will be a Godsend if we are able to make inroads in attack.

Like Fancoisfou I think we may be in for a torrid afternoon.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:43 pm

I was under the impression that he had been injured, but that could be wrong. Llewelyn has some real potential and if he is available then I'd like to see him given an opportunity.
I think he's been behind Atkinson in the pecking order for 12 from the games I've seen, he's played some cup games recently but has mostly featured off the bench in the league.

We could do with bringing him back so he gets some regular game time to develop, just not sure if anyone can afford to pay him..
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:49 pm

I think he's been behind Atkinson in the pecking order for 12 from the games I've seen, he's played some cup games recently but has mostly featured off the bench in the league.

We could do with bringing him back so he gets some regular game time to develop, just not sure if anyone can afford to pay him..
Agreed, Llewellyn does have obvious physical gifts but he's 2nd choice at his club, and when on the pitch has been okay, not remarkable. Great potential there though.

If I was picking 12s from currently available players, after Tompkins I'd give Keiran Williams a shot. He's proved himself at regional level. (NB Gatland's not going to pick him)

Arguably a better option (though I hate to say it) is Ioan Lloyd. First off, I think he should be 10, but if Gatland keeps Costelow as fly half, it would be a better use of Lloyd's talents to have him at 12 rather than the bench. He could still cover 10 from there. He's taller than Tompkins, about the same height as Hawkins, so he's no lightweight, and he has all the skills and speed.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:26 pm
Numbers wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:49 pm

Agreed, Llewellyn does have obvious physical gifts but he's 2nd choice at his club, and when on the pitch has been okay, not remarkable. Great potential there though.

If I was picking 12s from currently available players, after Tompkins I'd give Keiran Williams a shot. He's proved himself at regional level. (NB Gatland's not going to pick him)

Arguably a better option (though I hate to say it) is Ioan Lloyd. First off, I think he should be 10, but if Gatland keeps Costelow as fly half, it would be a better use of Lloyd's talents to have him at 12 rather than the bench. He could still cover 10 from there. He's taller than Tompkins, about the same height as Hawkins, so he's no lightweight, and he has all the skills and speed.
There’s some real advantages to that idea. Obviously you lose a bit of bulk but Tompkins is hardly Jamie Roberts
Son of Mathonwy

After yesterday's craziness (I was actually glad to see an England win :? ) we are in an interesting position :shock: . Win today and we could aim for a 2nd place finish. Lose and we're odds on to finish last.

This is why, as I may have mentioned :D , I'm not too pleased to have our best centres sitting this one out. But, hey, France are in a strange place and anything is now possible. We have a chance but France are favourites.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:29 am After yesterday's craziness (I was actually glad to see an England win :? ) we are in an interesting position :shock: . Win today and we could aim for a 2nd place finish. Lose and we're odds on to finish last.

This is why, as I may have mentioned :D , I'm not too pleased to have our best centres sitting this one out. But, hey, France are in a strange place and anything is now possible. We have a chance but France are favourites.
I think yesterday’s games demonstrate why it’s so hard to win back to back grand slams. It makes the last weekend really interesting, although Ireland remain in pole position for the championship.

And not even having North or Tompkins on the bench is a massive risk that I hope doesn’t come back to bite us
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:50 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:29 am After yesterday's craziness (I was actually glad to see an England win :? ) we are in an interesting position :shock: . Win today and we could aim for a 2nd place finish. Lose and we're odds on to finish last.

I think yesterday’s games demonstrate why it’s so hard to win back to back grand slams. It makes the last weekend really interesting, although Ireland remain in pole position for the championship.

And not even having North or Tompkins on the bench is a massive risk that I hope doesn’t come back to bite us
Yeah, even if we're not starting him, North on the bench instead of Grady would have been a more sensible choice.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Late change for Wales, Elias out, Dee starts and Evan lloyd on the bench for his debut.

Don't know much about lloyd, but he's not going to have the easiest introduction to international rugby. Good luck!
normanski

Post by normanski »

Beard just destroyed their maul in the 22.fantastic.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Who’d have thought we’d be leading 17-13 after 25 minutes.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

We need to find a way to slow down the French ball. Otherwise it’s a better performance, even if the scrum is a bit hair raising
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Both sides wanting to play a bit.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Both sides wanting to play a bit.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Luke Pearce is letting Wales get away with dropping the scrum a couple of times now.
normanski

Post by normanski »

16th man wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:42 pm Luke Pearce is letting Wales get away with dropping the scrum a couple of times now.
No he’s not. The France front row are top heavy and tumbling over.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Cracking start to the second half. Can we keep this going?

And for once we have scored in both halves of one sodding game!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Two teams keen to play. Good watch.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Good stuff, but not quite going to plan from my point of view !
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Surviving that without conceding a yellow and a try is a big result.