Scotland vs England - minute-by-minute

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Scotland vs England - minute-by-minute

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:09 am
FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am
Puja wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:51 pm Minute 21: Russell adds the two points from a difficult angle. 7-10 and what had been a very, very quiet Murrayfield is now rocking. I don't think I'm going to stop being cross at that Slade error.
Whilst Slade deserves all the blame for this awful misread I was annoyed that our covering double tackle didn't stop the offload. If the second man commits in when covering a line break he's got to stop to wrap the ball up.
That feels a little harsh to me - both of them were scrambling just to bring him down by any means and there was no time to coordinate. Wasn't like one of them was specifically the second man in - they were literally both diving at him in the hope of making it.

Puja
I am being a little picky and the try remains Slade's fault but the two cover tacklers go high and low and having had it drilled into me when I was in that situation to let go of the tackler only when the ref catches up with play I'd have liked to have seen us be a little bit cuter there.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 am
Puja wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:09 am
FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:54 am

Whilst Slade deserves all the blame for this awful misread I was annoyed that our covering double tackle didn't stop the offload. If the second man commits in when covering a line break he's got to stop to wrap the ball up.
That feels a little harsh to me - both of them were scrambling just to bring him down by any means and there was no time to coordinate. Wasn't like one of them was specifically the second man in - they were literally both diving at him in the hope of making it.

Puja
I am being a little picky and the try remains Slade's fault but the two cover tacklers go high and low and having had it drilled into me when I was in that situation to let go of the tackler only when the ref catches up with play I'd have liked to have seen us be a little bit cuter there.
The issue is that they have to dive to get him, so Furbank never has actual hold of Jones or any ability to slow the ball - he's thrown off by the landing rather than any active or deliberate release.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:50 pmI'm unsure who I blame more there - Slade is tasked with popping a 40cm pass under no pressure and somehow manages to put it off-target, on Lawrence's hip, rather than into his hands, but it is also eminently catchable and any international back should expect to be taking that.
My feeling at the time is that, at that pace, the pass simply HAS to be sympathetic - but then, I also thought it was more Lawrence's backside than his hip. Either way, I think that pass is caught if it's a longer pass, but in close quarters, I felt it would have required superb reactions to actually catch that ball. His hand has pretty much got further to travel than the ball did.

Of course, you will have watched it many more times than I, in writing this.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The Steyn/Daly moment was interesting. I thought seeing it back initially that Daly had been hard done by, but Steyn’s foot is already in touch by the time the ball hits him so Daly has essentially just knocked it out of play.

For the sake of anyone reading back through these it’s probably easier if the 18 parallel conversations about where we’re going wrong happen in a different place, though naturally this thread is going to prompt a lot of that.

Can’t wait to see who comes out on top of the BHEULFPs tally by the end. Doesn’t roll off the tongue like KADAB, unfortunately.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:17 am The Steyn/Daly moment was interesting. I thought seeing it back initially that Daly had been hard done by, but Steyn’s foot is already in touch by the time the ball hits him so Daly has essentially just knocked it out of play.

For the sake of anyone reading back through these it’s probably easier if the 18 parallel conversations about where we’re going wrong happen in a different place, though naturally this thread is going to prompt a lot of that.

Can’t wait to see who comes out on top of the BHEULFPs tally by the end. Doesn’t roll off the tongue like KADAB, unfortunately.
Right, given two people saying "Yeah sure" and no objections, have moved the obviously non-m-b-m discussion about how we should get a new attack coach etc into the main match discussion thread.
Which Tyler wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 am
Puja wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:50 pmI'm unsure who I blame more there - Slade is tasked with popping a 40cm pass under no pressure and somehow manages to put it off-target, on Lawrence's hip, rather than into his hands, but it is also eminently catchable and any international back should expect to be taking that.
My feeling at the time is that, at that pace, the pass simply HAS to be sympathetic - but then, I also thought it was more Lawrence's backside than his hip. Either way, I think that pass is caught if it's a longer pass, but in close quarters, I felt it would have required superb reactions to actually catch that ball. His hand has pretty much got further to travel than the ball did.

Of course, you will have watched it many more times than I, in writing this.
I have really soured further on Slade since watching this in detail. He's just so imprecise on so many things - if Farrell was passing to someone's hip/arse on a 10m pass we'd be castigating him, let alone one that's just a little pop ball. Add that to the egregious defensive error (that I am still not calm about) and his only useful feature this game has been the kicking for touch from penalties. I know I defended him pre-game saying that he was the leader of the defensive line and the main figure that we built our attacking plays from and so there was no way to replace him, but frankly I'd be happy sticking Dingwall in at first receiver. Slade might be a technically more gifted player, but that means nothing unless he's showing those gifts on the damned pitch.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:17 am
Me too and it seems to me that BHEULFPs roll off the player’s finger tips far too easily.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I think these m-b-m threads are where I miss the like button the most.
Might have to do a multi-quote and Hask for each half, or something...
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 am
Me too and it seems to me that BHEULFPs roll off the player’s finger tips far too easily.
Worth taking with a pinch of salt. Ford has been cleared of a shit pass leaving Furbank hung drawn and quartered
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm
Worth taking with a pinch of salt. Ford has been cleared of a shit pass leaving Furbank hung drawn and quartered
Both culpable, imo, but Ford shouldn’t be throwing shoite like that, and normally doesn’t. Slade who, for all his faults, has great hands was also throwing shoite. So, if our two best ball players were crap at ball playing you’ve got to wonder why…
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:37 pm
Both culpable, imo, but Ford shouldn’t be throwing shoite like that, and normally doesn’t. Slade who, for all his faults, has great hands was also throwing shoite. So, if our two best ball players were crap at ball playing you’ve got to wonder why…
Wondering why has been the England strap line for a few years now..

Oh agree. Furbank should have done better, but the fact is he shouldn’t have had to.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:43 pm

Wondering why has been the England strap line for a few years now..

Oh agree. Furbank should have done better, but the fact is he shouldn’t have had to.
Yep
and
yep.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Bad pass from the 9 leaves uncomfortable catch for the playmaker who doesn't have time to full adjust his hands at test match level so gives a slightly wonky pass? Possibly clutching at straws and it's just the players are exactly where the passer anticipates them being so the pass has to be adjusted. Not sure.

I am sure Furbank shouldn't be letting the ball go through his hands like that. School boy stuff.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:46 pm

Bad pass from the 9 leaves uncomfortable catch for the playmaker who doesn't have time to full adjust his hands at test match level so gives a slightly wonky pass? Possibly clutching at straws and it's just the players are exactly where the passer anticipates them being so the pass has to be adjusted. Not sure.

I am sure Furbank shouldn't be letting the ball go through his hands like that. School boy stuff.
Massive fan of Ford but don’t shovel shit is the first rule you tell minis, sans (audible) swear words, obvs.

Given his schooling then Furbank’s actual ‘school boy stuff’ would’ve won us the game singlehandedly.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Looking forward to hearing how Furbank’s shout of ‘Catch it’ led to Martin’s unforced error
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:23 pm Looking forward to hearing how Furbank’s shout of ‘Catch it’ led to Martin’s unforced error
Tigers don’t make unforced errors, until they’ve moved at least two clubs
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’ve heard we lost the like button because of Furbank.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:41 pm
p/d wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:23 pm Looking forward to hearing how Furbank’s shout of ‘Catch it’ led to Martin’s unforced error
If you read my comments on Chessum in the Italy game, you know I don't just give my faves a free ride in these things. :D

It wasn't a great pass, but it was eminently catchable, as can be seen by the fact that Furbank had his hands up and got both of them to the ball. Sadly, it was the Wing-Commander who takes the majority of the blame. Don't worry though - I'm sure Ford'll get his name on the list before the end of the game.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:56 pm
If you read my comments on Chessum in the Italy game, you know I don't just give my faves a free ride in these things. :D

It wasn't a great pass, but it was eminently catchable, as can be seen by the fact that Furbank had his hands up and got both of them to the ball. Sadly, it was the Wing-Commander who takes the majority of the blame. Don't worry though - I'm sure Ford'll get his name on the list before the end of the game.

Puja
I’d put a decent amount of cash on the fact this isn’t aimed at you.
p/d

Post by p/d »

And I will put good money on Ford not being there at the end of the game
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Dunno about Puja but they're dead to me as soon as they leave. :lol:

Wasn't a great moment from Martin that dropped catch. Somewhat summed up England's performance. Came on and made a big carry, England got points then from the kick off unforced error.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:13 pm
Dunno about Puja but they're dead to me as soon as they leave. :lol:

Wasn't a great moment from Martin that dropped catch. Somewhat summed up England's performance. Came on and made a big carry, England got points then from the kick off unforced error.
👍😂
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 31: Mention has to be made of Finn Russell's goal-kicking - he's had two incredibly difficult kicks and nailed both. 14-10 is a very different scoreline to 10-10.

Minute 32: We kick off to the Scots lifting pod again - Freeman tries to compete, but he's always going to struggle there. I feel like if I criticise Ford here it's going to sound like I'm pandering to P/d, but that has been twice in a row that he's not got the kick-off quite right and landed it on Gilchrist's head rather than putting Freeman in the position to remove some of White's ribs.

Scotland box-kick long and Furbank takes with ease. He drifts infield, feigning like he's going to pass to Ford, but then changes gear and goes for a gap and it's a very good tackle from Ritchie to stop a half-break from becoming a clean break. Quick front-foot ball against a retreating defence, Care puts it out to Ford, Ford uses Roots as the dummy runner to keep the inside defence interested and passes wide to Daly and there's space out wide - not quite an overlap, but one more pass will see Slade and Lawrence running in 15m of space with the defence struggling to get across.

Unfortunately, Daly decides this is the time to return to an old favourite and KADABs. I can see what he's trying to do - there is space behind Kinghorn and the chance of a good touchfinder behind him - but unfortunately he absolutely scuffs it and the ball loops lazily straight into Kinghorn's arms.

Kinghorn kicks long and Ford has to chase back to recover it. He puts up a high ball, which is a good one, but Daly is very nicely and subtly taken out on the chase by Ritchie - it looks like Daly just runs into him, but a replay shows Ritchie has a little glance to check positioning and then moves one step at the right time. Not even mad - I'm impressed with the skill that went into that skullduggery.

Steyn takes the ball and makes a half-break, and Scotland then show England how to use such good attacking ball by going wide early. England scramble, but Jones has space enough to step and spin around Freeman and then Earl, before darting inside and putting a grubber through. Cole does an excellent job of making sure that his tackle is getting completed regardless of whether the ball is being kicked or not, saving us from Jones regathering, but DVDM is rushing onto the ball...

Minute 33: He attempts to fly-hack the loose ball on, but Ford sticks out a foot like a hockey goalie making a reaction save and deflects the ball into touch. Minor escape there.

Replay shows just how good a job Cole does - he can claim he's committed to avoid sanction, but he definitely knows the ball won't be there by the time he makes contact and does well to take Jones out. A very good thing as well, because Slade's also made the decision to take Jones out and his version involved stepping across the line to body-check him, so that's probably saved us a yellow card there.

Scotland throw long to the back and once again Chessum has read it and is up there, this time taking the ball clean in a potential massive momentum shift. Unfortunately, he then tries to pass the ball back to Genge to spark a counter-attack and Cummings makes an incredible read to intercept it. I was screaming at Chessum live, but on replay Cummings comes from his blind spot and has done a phenomenal job to nab that.

Minute 34: England's defence do well to react and some good solid tackles and counter-rucking leaves Scotland with slow ball in the middle of the pitch, on the edge of the 22. They're not going anywhere, but the ref gives advantage for an offside - it's unclear whether it's something called in from a couple of phases ago, but I haven't seen anything obvious so it does feel a touch harsh. Kinghorn attempts a cross-field kick, but it goes nowhere and Scotland come back for the kick at goal.

Minute 35: Apparently it was Roots encroaching as the pillar at a ruck. Poor to even give the referee the option to give that - we had that completely under control in defence and there was no need to sneak an extra 30cm. Russell converts the easy penalty and it's 17-10.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 36: It looks as though Ford has done exactly the same thing again for a third time in a row, but this one *just* has the legs to stop Gilchrist taking it cleanly and he spills the ball. Itoje is quick to the bounce, but Scotland wrap him up and slow the ball a little, so we restart with a one-out carry from Genge and then one from Roots. Freeman then makes a half-break, driving through contact, to get us into the 22, but the next phase sees George stopped on the gainline and Chessum does a shit job of securing the ruck, allowing Ritchie to drive through and dick about, slowing everything right down. We try one more forward carry that goes nowhere, before Care gets the call and passes back to Ford in the pocket. It's an incredibly casual defensive line from Scotland - they don't appear to have spotted the drop-goal was planned and, now that it's obvious, don't appear too bothered about charging up to put pressure on - but it's still a lovely bit of technique from Ford. Solid three points and we're back to 17-13.

Minute 37: Scotland kick long and Earl carries up competently. We then pass to Chessum on the charge, who makes a very good carry in contact, making 8 metres or so beyond the tackle (assisted by Roots and Cole). The tackle is clearly outside the 22, but the ref says it's inside, so we take the free gift and box-kick to touch.

Minute 38: Scotland throw their lineout to the back, this time uncontested, and form a maul before spinning it out. Tuipulotu runs hard at Ford - Earl does get there to play bodyguard, but Scotland are on the front foot. They go again, but this time we slow the ruck and can get our defence ready to go up again.

Minute 39: Scotland attempt to do some clever hands, but our defence is up quick and making solid tackles. Earl's unlucky not to get a penalty, as Ritchie goes off his feet to block him from jackalling, but the disruption is enough to slow the ball again. From the next move, England are up fast on the forward to rush the pull-back and the ball hits the deck. Slade is rushing through and gets a boot on it, but the bounce of a rugby ball always hates you and it jags away to prevent him picking it up and running under the posts. He does well to adjust his line to regather and kicks long before he is tackled.

The ball bounces into the Scots 22 and Steyn runs back to collect. He outpaces Care and then rounds Chessum before his nascent counter-attack is snuffed out by none other than Dan Cole, who is leading the kick-chase somehow, once again. He's putting in a hell of a shift, especially given he's 87 years old.

Scotland kick long and Ford takes it on the halfway. He sends up a high ball for Slade to chase, but it's a poor effort - Slade can't get within 10m of where it lands and Russell takes with ease to call for a mark.

Minute 40: Russell's touch finder is very conservative and England will get one more attacking lineout on the Scots 10m line with which to round out the half. We throw to the middle and it's a ropey old lineout - Itoje is found halfway through his jump and isn't exactly stretching to get it, so it was definitely poachable if Scotland has jumped in the right place, but they didn't so we'll called it well-judged.

We form a good maul and drive for about 10m before it gets messy and Earl breaks away. We give Genge another run at Scotland and once again I'm left with the impression that he thinks he's better than he is, as he attempts to do a little dance and instead just gets stopped behind the gainline. Still, time for the backs and a combo of a nice pass from Ford and a great line from Lawrence sees a half-break. We go back the other way and there is starting to be space, but Chessum makes another dogshit clearout and gets rucked back into where Care is trying to pick up the ball, resulting in a knock-on.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 41: Second half begins and Russell kicks to Earl again - he evades the first tackler and makes good ground to get near the 22 line. We caterpillar and Care makes a very average touch kick to 35m from our line.

Scotland go for a shortened lineout and get clean ball off the top, which is then passed into midfield. Scotland get quick ball a couple of times in a row, which puts our defence on the back foot and we're not up as fast as usual. Russell is also hiding behind a pullback ball, which gives him time to kick over the top - it looks like it's running touch in goal, but the bounce of a rugby ball hates everyone except for Finn Russell, as the last bounce tunrs sideways and goes into touch just the right side of the corner flag.

Scotland clearly applying the lessons taught by the coaches at halftime, both in the lineout and in hiding Russell from the blitz.

Minute 42: George throws quickly and long over the top to Earl, who takes it and sets up a ruck. We send a forward pod up once to move the ruck to a better position and then caterpillar, only for Care to shank the box-kick and gain us all of 7 metres.

Minute 43: Scotland throw to the back and set up a maul which England mostly have under control - there's a bit of a wobble where they look to wheel it and call in the backs to join, but Itoje does an excellent job to spot it just as it starts rolling, and leaves the defence to join the maul and fend it off. It goes to ground and Scotland attempt to play it away, but Itoje has spotted that White has joined the maul to try and get the ball out and so (legally) binds him in as he tries to break away.

Scotland still have the ball, but it's slow so they run a forward pod to try and resuscitate it. We have our defence in place and, while Scotland make a metre or two, we put up a sturdy defence of our 5m line and Scotland go through several pick-and-gos and one-out runners without making any ground.

Minute 44: We're doing a good job with discipline here - making sure we're scrupulously onside and listening to the ref when he calls hands off (even when he's wrong). It's rewarded as Underhill jackals to get yet another turnover - if I were Scottish I might question whether he'd released before going onto the ball, but it's close either way.

Minute 45: Slade kicks down to our 10m line, but we lose the lineout with a combo of a slight underthrow and a great jump from Cummings. Scotland spin it into midfield, but our defence is up and highly aggressive and Russell's very short on options by the time the ball gets to him. He opts for a kick, but Lawrence charges it down and England flood through, trying to get to the bouncing ball, or at least put in a big hit on the person who gets it. Unfortunately, the effect is somewhat akin to an U10s game where everyone mobs for the ball - Redpath gets it and manages to wheel away from the chasing throngs, only to discover that there's now actually nobody in front of him and he can run 30 metres unopposed. Freeman does an excellent job to bring him down one-on-one, but the ball is quick and we've got nothing even resembling a defensive line in place. Russell puts in the cross-field kick, which finds grass rather than Scots hands, but the bounce of a rugby always hates you unless you're Finn Russell, and it pops up straight into the hands of DVDM who can walk in unopposed.

Unlike the other two tries, there's no-one really you can blame for this try. We have definitely overcommitted to trying to go for the ball/trying to smash Redpath behind the gainline, but it's so easy to do when there's a charge-down and, on another day, that bouncing ball kicks away from Redpath and we're flooding through to make a massive gain/possibly scoring a try ourselves. Maybe you criticise Roots for not pushing in and leaving the gap that Redpath goes through, but it'd be harsh with such a fluid situation changing from attack to defence to attack to defence from the lineout onwards. I think that was just luck not being with us, combined with excellent execution from Scotland to finish it off.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 46: Replays of the score.

Minute 47: Russell kicks the conversion beautifully. He's in such good nick. 24-13 now.

Ford once again finds Gilchrist with a very average restart and Freeman is actually a touch lucky as he runs into him in the air only for his lifters to bring him down safely. Could've been nasty for all concerned there.

Minute 48: Ben White kicks for touch and gets it into the England half. Massive difference from the shite that Care served from his two clearances this half, which may be why he's given the shepherd's crook for Spencer. Martin is also on for Roots and George throws to him at the front of the line. England form a maul, before Spencer takes it out and puts up a decent box-kick that Freeman manages to palm back to our side. Earl regathers the ball and offloads to Martin on the burst...

Minute 49: ...and it's a hell of a burst, beating two defenders, making about 20m, and, most importantly, strangling the Murrayfield rendition of Flower of Scotland. We get quick ball, which is sent to Genge on the rampage - he doesn't make massive ground, but he disrupts the defence with the power of his carry and it's quick ball again. Spencer delivers good service and Ford times his pass to put Slade into half a hole - he's brought down, but it's more momentum. We zigzag for the next few phases with another good carry by Freeman - I felt like he didn't get any passes after watching this live, but he's actually had a reasonable amount of ball. Scotland are fucking about at the breakdowns and the ref gives us an advantage for no clear release, which Slade wastes by throwing a no-look pass that goes into a Scots hand.

We opt to kick for goal, but the TMO wants to stick his oar in after a very uncontrolled clear-out by Genge. Every English fan starts panicking.

Minute 50: As it turns out, the TMO is wasting everyone's time as Genge actually drops the shoulder into Chessum's back rather than making contact with any Scotsman, but it's a bullet dodged to my mind - Genge is charging in with a tucked arm and a leading shoulder and the fact that he doesn't hit someone's head and get himself red-carded is more luck than judgement.

Ford takes his time and slots the easy penalty. Scotland react quickly and take the kick-off before England are back and ready. Lucky for us, it's a terrible kick and the one player whose been paying attention is George Martin, who is sat back there waiting for it. He's got acres of space to run into as well, because the Scotland chase wasn't ready either and he's going to get a 15 metre run-up to charge into a very ragged kick-chase line. Unluckily for us, Martin makes a complete pigs ear of the catch, getting himself in the wrong position so the ball is landing on his face, and fumbles it forwards. I blame Furbank myself, but the referee blames Martin and it's a Scottish scrum deep in our 22.

Basic handling error under little fucking pressure: Care x2, Slade x1, Ford x1, Lawrence/Slade combo x1, Furbank x1, Furbank shouting for it Martin x1

More tomorrow, perhaps. Night all.

Puja
Backist Monk