Scotland vs England - minute-by-minute

Moderator: Puja

Which Tyler

Re: Scotland vs England - minute-by-minute

Post by Which Tyler »

Thanks for the sterling work Puja - and for getting us back on thread (briefly)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Top work.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Agreed. Excellent work as per usual.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Excellent Puja.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Great stuff. Time consuming too i dont doubt. Having to through phases in detail, making a note of what is happening is quite an undertaking.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm Great stuff. Time consuming too i dont doubt. Having to through phases in detail, making a note of what is happening is quite an undertaking.
Frankly, it's quite wearying now that England are actually trying to play with the ball a bit more. I'm looking forward to the end of the game where it's just one Spencer box-kick to each minute.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:39 pm Great stuff. Time consuming too i dont doubt. Having to through phases in detail, making a note of what is happening is quite an undertaking.
more importantly...adding a touch of humour.. chapeau
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 51: We don't even get the scrum set within the minute. Risible.

Minute 52: The scrum collapses on 51.07. It's not formed properly again with the referee shouting Crouch until 51.46. This is ridiculous and something needs to be done.

Finally, on 51.58, we successfully get the ball out of the back of the scrum. It's spun into midfield for Redpath to run at Ford

Minute 53: Ford puts in a solid tackle to stop him on the gainline. He's perfectly competent when he goes low and puts his shoulder in, which does make me wonder why he goes high so often.

Scotland recycle, but Slade has rushed up to target Russell and rushes his pass. The ball bounces up from DVDM's hands, but he is the first to it to regather before it hits the deck and can feed Steyn on the wing. England are across though and the defence holds firm.

Scotland run another phase and Earl tests the ref's patience by trying a jackal - he's got a point that Scotland's supporting players have just flopped down on the ruck and he's probably entitled, but the ref doesn't like it and Earl does well to listen and back off. It has slowed the ball for a second and Scotland then knock it on from the next pass. Good defensive set.

Cole gets told off by the referee for shouting for the knock-on decision, which is more than fair. George has a grumble at the ref about the time Scotland are taking over setting for the scrum, but is undercut when the ref points out they're currently waiting on Underhill. He then goes on to politely enquire about the Earl decision and clearly has a rapport with the ref. Night and day from Farrell's angry hectoring.

Minute 54: The scrum collapses - looks pretty 50:50, but England get the penalty and Ford kicks well for touch, getting us into Scotland's half. Scotland then get told off for closing the gap at the lineout, ensuring no actual play in the minute.

Minute 55: England throw to the front and a snap drive sees us gain a good 10 metres before being brought down. Earl plays 9 to send Underhill into contact, and then is first there to strip the ball away from him and carry himself. Very good play, followed by a solid Itoje carry and we're pressing the edge of the 22. Spencer is not brisk at the base though and he's giving Scotland an extra half second at every ruck to organise themselves. He then polishes it off with make a shit decision to grubber through and executing it even more shitly - kicking straight into the solid wall of defenders in front of him. That was never getting through. He then fumbles the bouncing ball forward and is lucky the ref misses it, but Christie is first man in to jackal and becomes the first Scottish player this match to win a turnover at an English attacking ruck. Granted, that may be because we've been turning it over with knockons and stupid kicks before anyone can get a chance to attack our breakdowns, but it's still a massive change from previous operations.
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Minute 56: Stuart and Cunningham-South are on for Cole and Underhill.

Scotland throw to the front of the lineout and attempt to peel around the back, but our defence is very solid. Scotland then pass it out to Dempsey on the burst and Ford is not showing the right linespeed for the blitz, giving a cap between him and Earl to attack. They bring him down between them, but it's lost us 6-7 metres and the momentum.

Minute 57: White then runs a nice play feigning to go open and passing the ball the other way to Russell sweeping around to the blind - it gives Huw Jones a one-on-one with Freeman and he attempts to take the outside, but Freeman has his number all the way and, while he does get a kick away, it's easily gathered and we end up coming back for an offside penalty that we'd apparently just started playing advantage for - Earl has not retreated properly on the openside, which is poor. It's right in front of the posts, so Russell goes for goal.

Minute 58: Straight down the middle. 27-16.

Once again, we kick it to Grant Gilchrist's lifting pod. It's not even as though they're doing a sterling effort to manouevre around and shut us down - they're barely moving and we're offering one of their best restart takers catching practise with added lifters to make sure we really can't pose a threat to them. At this point, it must be a deliberate tactic, but I'm beggared if I can see what benefit we're getting from it.

Scotland make absolutely no effort to stay on their feet at the ruck and their caterpillar involves a player on his hands and knees. Surely if we can't outlaw box-kicking, we can at least make teams do the caterpillar thing *well*? It's anti-ball-playing at the best of times, let alone when you flop to the floor and prevent even the slightest contest.

White kicks long to Furbank, who takes and goes on another little run.

Minute 59: He's stopped this time, but it's still given us some momentum, which we then waste with a slow Spencer service and Ford having dropped back deep. Dallaglio's excited at home though, because it's a !!!SPIRAL BOMB!!! Unfortunately, it's too long and no-one is there to contest, although we do get the amusing sight of Kinghorn being confident that he's under the ball and then panicking last minute and having to put the afterburners on to actually get to the landing zone.

Russell kicks it back long and Ford puts up a high ball - this one is too short and Freeman and Furbank have to halt their chase to wait for it to come down. Freeman slaps it ineffectively however and the ball then bounces at right angles straight into a Scottish hand. Itoje makes a good tackle, but Scotland recycle and Russell kicks under pressure. This one is too long and Daly catches and spins to counter, actually attacking his man one-on-one and putting in a step to beat him and make some ground. Lawrence carries it up, followed by a hard carry from Stuart, and it's good, quick ball that Spencer has no desire to use - immediately ordering the forwards in to form a caterpillar.

Minute 60: The ball was available at 58.59. Spencer finally kicks the ball 11 seconds later. Remind me which team is supposed to be chasing the game here? It's not a terrible kick, but Kinghorn is very accomplished under it and takes it well under pressure from Daly. Scotland set up their own caterpillar and kick to compete. Furbank comes in from a distance, but can't quite complete the Freddie Steward impression and the ball bobbles loose, eventually coming back to Ford who lamps it in the air again. This time Kinghorn spills under pressure and Itoje gathers. We have the scrum advantage to work with and the ball is available, but Spencer spends the last 3 seconds of the minute making sure that everyone's ready, the defence included, before passing it away.
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja, have you an opinion on George's performance? He rarely does much in the loose these days it seems to me. Throwing glitches used to be unheard of but he now has them. You criticise the scrum formation time - yet, the hooker is captain and the most influential forward. Good bloke but is he really competitive at 2 these days?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 am Puja, have you an opinion on George's performance? He rarely does much in the loose these days it seems to me. Throwing glitches used to be unheard of but he now has them. You criticise the scrum formation time - yet, the hooker is captain and the most influential forward. Good bloke but is he really competitive at 2 these days?
Not sure. He's not been a big carrier, but he has put in his share of decent tackles. One thing which I have noticed is how often he's the first man to gather a loose ball - Scotland drop it and it's almost always George who gets his nose on it.

I'd say he's still worth our time. His throwing percentage may be down on his best, he's still ridiculously good overall. Our scrum has been very solid overall with him in the middle. And, while he's not carrying much, he is hitting rucks and doing the nuts and bolts. I'd like to see more of Dan on as a substitute, but I don't think I'm in a "drop George" space just yet.

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 am
Oakboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 am Puja, have you an opinion on George's performance? He rarely does much in the loose these days it seems to me. Throwing glitches used to be unheard of but he now has them. You criticise the scrum formation time - yet, the hooker is captain and the most influential forward. Good bloke but is he really competitive at 2 these days?
Not sure. He's not been a big carrier, but he has put in his share of decent tackles. One thing which I have noticed is how often he's the first man to gather a loose ball - Scotland drop it and it's almost always George who gets his nose on it.

I'd say he's still worth our time. His throwing percentage may be down on his best, he's still ridiculously good overall. Our scrum has been very solid overall with him in the middle. And, while he's not carrying much, he is hitting rucks and doing the nuts and bolts. I'd like to see more of Dan on as a substitute, but I don't think I'm in a "drop George" space just yet.

Puja
Thanks for that. Solid and dependable at 2 could be inadequate if we are to improve the team performance, I suspect.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:12 am

Puja
Thanks for that. Solid and dependable at 2 could be inadequate if we are to improve the team performance, I suspect.
its about the best we can do in many positions tbh....
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja
Almost certainly, in the long term, but ‘solid and dependable’ probably puts him in the XV’s top ten players. Who are we replacing him with? Dan is an incredible talent but he’s still very raw.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Langdon and Dan.

Unless Earl can do a job
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:10 am

Puja
Almost certainly, in the long term, but ‘solid and dependable’ probably puts him in the XV’s top ten players. Who are we replacing him with? Dan is an incredible talent but he’s still very raw.
exactly.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja
I don't know - I will take solid and dependable at hooker, given how often we've not had it over my time watching England.

Mind, I was watching the m-b-m and mourning Ben Youngs retiring, so I'm in a strange place right now.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

p/d wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:16 am Langdon and Dan.

Unless Earl can do a job
Ah the new game, "which position should Ben Earl play this week?"

I reckon Netflix or Amazon would commission a few episodes or at least keep Barnes happily ranting in the newspaper for a couple of months.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I think we were just spoiled by George’s previous consistency. He’s not as eye catching as he used to be, but is probably a way down the list of positional concerns I have with this team.
Stom

Post by Stom »

What about Underhill?

From my memory of the game, and the words in your mbm...it feels like he's nowhere to be seen. The stats kinda back that up, well, the limited stats I found with 5 minutes research.

To me, it feels like he's a wasted spot, but would be good to hear your opinion.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 pm What about Underhill?

From my memory of the game, and the words in your mbm...it feels like he's nowhere to be seen. The stats kinda back that up, well, the limited stats I found with 5 minutes research.

To me, it feels like he's a wasted spot, but would be good to hear your opinion.
This game (so far) I feel he's been pretty good? Some decent hard carrying and making yards, as well as two turnovers (and unlucky not to get a third). He's not utterly destroyed anyone in defence as of yet, but he's been making his tackles.

Not going to say he's at peak form but, given the available alternatives, I think he's our best option at 7 based just on the first 60 minutes of the Scotland game.

My opinion may change on everything based on the last 20 minutes, but so far the major impression I'm getting from the Scotland game is utter bafflement that we managed to lose it. It sounds weird to say given we conceded three tries, but Scotland have looked toothless against our defence - we gifted them 21 points from one howler of a defensive error, one fumble that gave effectively an interception try, and one over-excitement at chasing a charge-down (allied to two fortunate bounces). There's been no threat apart from those three self-inflicted occasions.

I'm aware that that is very much akin to saying "If we'd not made as many mistakes, we'd've won," but once again, I'm coming out of a minute-by-minute seeing some actual structure and plans, and I don't think we'll get much from making wholesale changes of personnel. Will that hope survive the Ireland game? Probably not. But I'm not feeling the need to say, "Rip it up and start again," that a lot of you are.

I will note that, should we get utterly humped by Ireland, it's unlikely I will do a m-b-m. I get some enjoyment out of doing it from a defeat where I think I might learn something about why we lost and where the green shoots of hope might be, but if "Why we lost" is "Because they're a lot better than us and walked all over us", then I might take a pass!

Puja
Backist Monk
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Puja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:05 am
Stom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 pm What about Underhill?

This game (so far) I feel he's been pretty good? Some decent hard carrying and making yards, as well as two turnovers (and unlucky not to get a third). He's not utterly destroyed anyone in defence as of yet, but he's been making his tackles.

Not going to say he's at peak form but, given the available alternatives, I think he's our best option at 7 based just on the first 60 minutes of the Scotland game.

My opinion may change on everything based on the last 20 minutes, but so far the major impression I'm getting from the Scotland game is utter bafflement that we managed to lose it. It sounds weird to say given we conceded three tries, but Scotland have looked toothless against our defence - we gifted them 21 points from one howler of a defensive error, one fumble that gave effectively an interception try, and one over-excitement at chasing a charge-down (allied to two fortunate bounces). There's been no threat apart from those three self-inflicted occasions.

I'm aware that that is very much akin to saying "If we'd not made as many mistakes, we'd've won," but once again, I'm coming out of a minute-by-minute seeing some actual structure and plans, and I don't think we'll get much from making wholesale changes of personnel. Will that hope survive the Ireland game? Probably not. But I'm not feeling the need to say, "Rip it up and start again," that a lot of you are.

I will note that, should we get utterly humped by Ireland, it's unlikely I will do a m-b-m. I get some enjoyment out of doing it from a defeat where I think I might learn something about why we lost and where the green shoots of hope might be, but if "Why we lost" is "Because they're a lot better than us and walked all over us", then I might take a pass!

Puja
That's interesting and matches my memory of the game. However, I think it is maybe missing something:

- Scotland looked toothless for most of it, and that would have had me very worried were it not for the fact that for most of the game we were well up and didnt really try anything, we were content to kick long and defend.

- England had lots of ball, sometimes some momentum, and all the incentive in the world to show some teeth, but didn't apart from a good early set play and a late misread of a good angle.

Anyway, love your work and don't want to hijack this thread (again). I just find it interesting.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I can’t remember where I read it and whether it was an opinion or a fact from out of the camp but, the piece said Scot didn’t play too much as they realised they didn’t need to. Just give the ball back to us and let us feck if up. It’s not like they didn’t have any success so they just gave up - they scored that great try where they sliced up to pieces.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:12 am I can’t remember where I read it and whether it was an opinion or a fact from out of the camp but, the piece said Scot didn’t play too much as they realised they didn’t need to. Just give the ball back to us and let us feck if up. It’s not like they didn’t have any success so they just gave up - they scored that great try where they sliced up to pieces.
Agreed - and with Cameo below.

Looking at the detail that you've provided with the excellent mbm, Puja, you can pick out all of the pieces that England are trying and failing at. We were definitely our own worst enemies. In the first 20, Scotland are trying to play and we're simply not letting them. Hitting them hard, constantly and really getting in Finn's and others' faces.

At half time, they've clearly had a smart talking to about tactics. Stop doing that, start doing the clever kicking, playing for territory and don't put yourselves under needless pressure by trying to play flat. Create a broken field (or allow England to) and rely on better instinct across the park.

Whereas our half time talk appeared to be a short session showing the backs what a rugby ball looks like and what it's for, and then 10 minutes of smearing hands and faces with vaseline and cutting off the blood supply at the wrists.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

As regards sticking or twisting with selection, we should remember there were five changes for this match.