QF Toulouse v Exeter

Moderator: Puja

francoisfou

QF Toulouse v Exeter

Post by francoisfou »

Here's the Toulouse side for Sunday's game in the sun:

15. Kinghorn ; 14. Mallia, 13. Costes, 12. Ahki, 11. Lebel ; 10. Ntamack, 9. Dupont (cap.) ; 7. Cros, 8. Roumat, 6. Willis ; 5. Meafou, 4. Arnold ; 3. Aldegheri, 2. Mauvaka, 1. Baille.

Remplaçants : 16. Marchand, 17. Neti, 18. Merkler, 19. Flament, 20. Brennan, 21. Graou, 22. Ramos, 23. Chocobares.

Thomas Ramos has recovered from his injury and will be on the bench. Joel Merkler is one to keep an eye on. He's a replacement prop who's won 9 caps for Spain and is highly regarded by the Toulouse coaches.
francoisfou

Re: QF Toulouse v Exeter

Post by francoisfou »

And the Chiefs' side:

15. Hodge ; 14. Feyi-Waboso, 13. Slade, 12. Devoto, 11. Woodburn ; 10. Skinner, 9. Cairns ; 7. Tshiunza, 8. Vintcent, 6. Roots ; 5. Jenkins (cap.), 4. Tuima ; 3. Painter, 2. Yeandle, 1. Sio.

Remplaçants : 16. Innard, 17. Southworth, 18. Street, 19. Pearson, 20. Fisilau, 21. Townsend, 22. Haydon-Wood, 23. Wimbush.

I'm hoping this is going to be a cracker as the weather forecast is warm and sunny.
Allez les Toulousains!
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:46 pm And the Chiefs' side:

15. Hodge ; 14. Feyi-Waboso, 13. Slade, 12. Devoto, 11. Woodburn ; 10. Skinner, 9. Cairns ; 7. Tshiunza, 8. Vintcent, 6. Roots ; 5. Jenkins (cap.), 4. Tuima ; 3. Painter, 2. Yeandle, 1. Sio.

Remplaçants : 16. Innard, 17. Southworth, 18. Street, 19. Pearson, 20. Fisilau, 21. Townsend, 22. Haydon-Wood, 23. Wimbush.

I'm hoping this is going to be a cracker as the weather forecast is warm and sunny.
Allez les Toulousains!
I still do not understand the Exeter back row. I said on the WMB that Tshiunza looks every inch like he should be being moulded into the next big thing at lock for Wales, but Exeter somehow have a back-row with him at 7, and two big ball carries (and another 8 on the bench) and it somehow works? I don't know how it will hold up to Willis and Cros - I suspect badly, but I've been saying that all season and it keeps going well when it shouldn't.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:22 pm

Allez les Toulousains!
I still do not understand the Exeter back row. I said on the WMB that Tshiunza looks every inch like he should be being moulded into the next big thing at lock for Wales, but Exeter somehow have a back-row with him at 7, and two big ball carries (and another 8 on the bench) and it somehow works? I don't know how it will hold up to Willis and Cros - I suspect badly, but I've been saying that all season and it keeps going well when it shouldn't.

Puja
Vintcent is pretty speedy I thought? Exeter have previous in this sort of configuration, no?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

The Exeter back row has seldom followed conventional thought. They seem to find a formula that generally works. It'll have to be on Sunday as this looks a monumentally difficult assignment.

All eyes on IFW again.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:23 pm

Allez les Toulousains!

Puja
Vintcent is pretty speedy I thought? Exeter have previous in this sort of configuration, no?
Speedy yes, but not an ersatz 7 like Simmonds used to be. I only vaguely understood how it worked from previous, now it's a pure 8, a 5/6, and a 6/8, I have no idea whatsoever.

Puja
Backist Monk
p/d

Post by p/d »

Fuck me!!! The gap in class between the halfbacks is ridiculous. Not sure how they plan to contain Skinner
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:45 pm Fuck me!!! The gap in class between the halfbacks is ridiculous. Not sure how they plan to contain Skinner
:lol: :lol:
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

p/d wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:45 pm Fuck me!!! The gap in class between the halfbacks is ridiculous. Not sure how they plan to contain Skinner
I think Slade would do a better job at 10 than Skinner. It seems such a fundamental weakness week after week.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Oakboy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:04 am
I think Slade would do a better job at 10 than Skinner. It seems such a fundamental weakness week after week.
It's bizarre that Baxter sticks with him. Skinner will have playmakers at 12 and 13, alternative kicking options at 13 and 15 and we'll all still not back him to get things moving. I rate Haydon-Wood on the bench more highly.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Puja
Speedy yes, but not an ersatz 7 like Simmonds used to be. I only vaguely understood how it worked from previous, now it's a pure 8, a 5/6, and a 6/8, I have no idea whatsoever.

Puja
It’s not dissimilar in principle. Vintcent isn’t a pure 8. He’s more of a 7/8 in the Ben Earl mode. Roots is playing Ewers’ role and Tshiunza is playing the Vermeulen role.

Simmonds was never an ‘ersatz 7’ though. If anything he was a third centre. He packed down at 8 and hovered around pick and goes within 10m of the line, but he didn’t do what a flanker (or 8) would typically be expected to do. Not much of a jackal and not particularly busy clearing rucks. Earl is doing what Simmonds could/should have been doing - more graft and breakdown work allied with the more explosive stuff.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 am

Puja
It’s not dissimilar in principle. Vintcent isn’t a pure 8. He’s more of a 7/8 in the Ben Earl mode. Roots is playing Ewers’ role and Tshiunza is playing the Vermeulen role.

Simmonds was never an ‘ersatz 7’ though. If anything he was a third centre. He packed down at 8 and hovered around pick and goes within 10m of the line, but he didn’t do what a flanker (or 8) would typically be expected to do. Not much of a jackal and not particularly busy clearing rucks. Earl is doing what Simmonds could/should have been doing - more graft and breakdown work allied with the more explosive stuff.
I think that Fisilau is better than any of those three.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I assume you mean Vintcent, Tshiunza and Roots?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:47 am I assume you mean Vintcent, Tshiunza and Roots?
Yes. If I was picking the Exeter back row Fisilau would be the first name. IMO, the other three are good but not as good. I've not studied the stats on their relative measurements. Fisilau seems to punch more than his weight in contact. I just can't help liking him more every time I see him. I suppose the other three are nudging ahead in terms of international experience, arguably.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oakboy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:23 am
Scrumhead wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:47 am I assume you mean Vintcent, Tshiunza and Roots?
Yes. If I was picking the Exeter back row Fisilau would be the first name. IMO, the other three are good but not as good. I've not studied the stats on their relative measurements. Fisilau seems to punch more than his weight in contact. I just can't help liking him more every time I see him. I suppose the other three are nudging ahead in terms of international experience, arguably.
I’ve yet to properly watch him enough to know how consistently he makes the good contributions, or if he offers something significantly different to any of our other 8 contenders?

Just a good solid all rounder or is there some USP (I know, sorry) that I haven’t seen?
Puja

Post by Puja »

That's a penalty try to my mind. I don't see the knock-on that the ref is seeing and then the Toulouse player plays the ball on the ground to prevent Exeter from scoring.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 am

Puja

agreed all round- though Simmonds was a very capable jackaller as well, he just wasn't deployed tight
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

kin ell
play that
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

No thanks.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Way to carve a team up!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Time for them to start kicking for territory.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

wimbush is a handful
Last edited by Banquo on Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:32 pm Time for them to start kicking for territory.
:lol:
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

blatent cheat there tbf
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

funny how when you are on top refs miss a lot. They unplayable in this mood tho