Bordeaux vs Harlequins - Sat 15:00

Moderator: Puja

Danno

Re: Bordeaux vs Harlequins - Sat 15:00

Post by Danno »

FKAS wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:30 pm
morepork wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:59 pm
FKAS wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:12 pm

Quins inability to close the game down nearly cost them. It was open and end to end throughout. Quins had a good scrum and lineout/rolling maul there was things they could have done to take the pace out of the game a bit.

Hopefully nothing serious for Smith.
How do you close down The Electric Matchstick et al? Quins played it right.
Play for territory try to pin them down in their own half. Quins played a lot of ball in hand with a healthy lead. Might be a bit boring but pin the opposition back and give Evans licence the attack every ruck.

As a game it was great for a neutral but it must have been nerve shredding for Quins fans and coaches.
In the nicest possible way:

Is this the first Quins game you've watched since 2020?
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Danno wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:14 pm
morepork wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:59 pm

How do you close down The Electric Matchstick et al? Quins played it right.
Play for territory try to pin them down in their own half. Quins played a lot of ball in hand with a healthy lead. Might be a bit boring but pin the opposition back and give Evans licence the attack every ruck.

As a game it was great for a neutral but it must have been nerve shredding for Quins fans and coaches.

:lol:

No but there is an expectation they might learn and develop. Good coaches, no Danny Care and Marcus Smith is now 25 having played under Borthwick who would have definitely wanted his team to tighten up and offer little to Bordeaux who needed to take risks.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

FKAS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:38 am

No but there is an expectation they might learn and develop. Good coaches, no Danny Care and Marcus Smith is now 25 having played under Borthwick who would have definitely wanted his team to tighten up and offer little to Bordeaux who needed to take risks.
Do you not think that maybe the coaches are happy/want their team to continue to play that way regardless of the score line or do you think that Smith just defy’s their wishes match after match?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:53 am

Do you not think that maybe the coaches are happy/want their team to continue to play that way regardless of the score line or do you think that Smith just defy’s their wishes match after match?
Maybe, in the long-term, simply allowing Smith to run the game his way is the best route to 'best-possible' team performances. I'd guess that all his colleagues in the back line would vote for that and I'd not be surprised if the forwards preferred it to kicking for territory.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

I think they'd like a balance. Quins will trust Marcus to make the call, if he sees something on then go for it. Nick Evans is sat there in the coaching staff and he was an excellent flyhalf at switching between pragmatism and attacking rugby though. Danny Wilson does like a high tempo game plan so perhaps he's pushing the "just keep playing' mentality.

Given the Quins scrum is good, the lineout pretty reliable and their rolling maul game strong you'd have thought they'd be fine slowing the game down with set piece in the opposition half. Pinning the opposition in does open the possibility of counter attacks through Smith and Green from the backfield as well.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Didn't Smith set up the position that eventually got the game-winning try with a 50:22?

Besides, I don't think anyone's beating that Bordeaux side away from home with careful management and lots of kicking. Their back three are too good and giving them the ball is a recipe for disaster - Quins had to keep attacking and scoring in 5s and 7s because Bordeaux were always going to bite back. The only thing I could criticise Smith for was his awful drop-goal attempt.

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:39 am Didn't Smith set up the position that eventually got the game-winning try with a 50:22?

Besides, I don't think anyone's beating that Bordeaux side away from home with careful management and lots of kicking. Their back three are too good and giving them the ball is a recipe for disaster - Quins had to keep attacking and scoring in 5s and 7s because Bordeaux were always going to bite back. The only thing I could criticise Smith for was his awful drop-goal attempt.

Puja
Spot on.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

FKAS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:18 am

I think they'd like a balance.
Based on what?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Huzzah!!!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Congratulations Mikey. Now let's cheer on an Exeter miracle so that you don't have to travel to France again!

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I want to see Will Porter schooling DuPont.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mellsblue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:58 pm
Based on what?
Logic
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

FKAS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:30 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Based on what?
Logic
So no inkling or insider knowledge of what the Quins coaches actually want. There’s no evidence from Quins since the season they won the title that their coaching team want anything other than ball in hand expansive rugby, as Danno alluded to, so I’m not sure it’s logical to say that the coaches want anything other than that.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:39 am Didn't Smith set up the position that eventually got the game-winning try with a 50:22?

Puja
indeed
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja
So playing the percentages/pressure game when up on points against a team that likes to playing loose and who are chasing the game won't work apart from when Quins tried it and it did.

UBB like Quins are always likely to pose a threat but better to have them posing that threat from their 22 as opposed to the middle of the pitch.

It was a good Quins performance and just an observation that taking the pace out of the game when you've got points on the board and the opposition is so threatening doesn't hurt.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Didnt Quins win?
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:05 pm

Puja
So playing the percentages/pressure game when up on points against a team that likes to playing loose and who are chasing the game won't work apart from when Quins tried it and it did.

UBB like Quins are always likely to pose a threat but better to have them posing that threat from their 22 as opposed to the middle of the pitch.

It was a good Quins performance and just an observation that taking the pace out of the game when you've got points on the board and the opposition is so threatening doesn't hurt.
Why exactly do you think UBB didn't have three players back anticipating the kick?

Puja
Backist Monk
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Really incredible result this. I can’t see them pulling it off vs Toulouse as well, but a great effort none the less.

No one have them a prayer
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

In practice I can’t think how Quins would have been able to game manage their way through that second half. You can’t manufacture setpieces out of thin air & Bordeaux looked like they’d score a try with virtually every bit of possession. Quins tried going to the air but lost the aerial battle comprehensively.

Without getting off the ropes and throwing a few haymakers of their own that second half would have just been a Bordeaux procession imo.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Timbo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 pm In practice I can’t think how Quins would have been able to game manage their way through that second half. You can’t manufacture setpieces out of thin air & Bordeaux looked like they’d score a try with virtually every bit of possession. Quins tried going to the air but lost the aerial battle comprehensively.

Without getting off the ropes and throwing a few haymakers of their own that second half would have just been a Bordeaux procession imo.
cf. The second half of Toulouse vs Exeter.

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Timbo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 pm In practice I can’t think how Quins would have been able to game manage their way through that second half. You can’t manufacture setpieces out of thin air & Bordeaux looked like they’d score a try with virtually every bit of possession. Quins tried going to the air but lost the aerial battle comprehensively.

This scenario, requiring both sides to play rugby rather than kicking it up in the air, is surely good for the game!