13 Lawrence
14 Cokanasiga
15 Gallagher

16 Faive, 17 Du Toit, 18 Griffin, 19 Du Plessis, 20 Bayliss, 23 Reid
21 Schreuder, 22 Butt
Puja

Re: Exeter v Bath

Post by Puja »

THill back from his rib injury, I see. Good news for Bath amidst the other injury concerns.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm THill back from his rib injury, I see. Good news for Bath amidst the other injury concerns.

Puja
I've seen the injury concerns called "carnage".
I though, am old enough to remember the days of 2-3 years ago where we had to bring in emergency cover in the front row or forfeit matches; of field 5 backrowers with another 2 on the bench as we'd run out of locks (and vice versa, of course)...
I feel that "carnage" is a little strong for "lost first choice FH and IC" (and arguably 1st choice FB) - okay, so it's all 3 play makers, but still, hardly "carnage"
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

The Bath pack options are looking good for this one. Back line is obviously not as strong, odd choice to have Butt on the bench, is Harris injured? Thought the young lad would be the ideal utility option.

Exeter still persisting with Skinner. Still don't get that.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

FKAS wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pmHarris injured?
Yes, season ending. All out playmakers are out really; with Butt offering the greatest utility of our bench options.
Normally (with Bailey / Harris benching or TDG starting) I don't mind a 6:2 bench with Bayliss there (don't like, but accept); but a 2-backs bench with no FH cover either benching or starting fills me with fear (yes, technically, Ojomoh has played there before but...)

I'd far, FAR rather Worboys on the bench, or hell - sit Linegar there; and have a 5:3 split
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

FKAS wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm The Bath pack options are looking good for this one. Back line is obviously not as strong, odd choice to have Butt on the bench, is Harris injured? Thought the young lad would be the ideal utility option.

It's hard not to conclude that Skinner is the weakest player in that Exeter XV and the weakest FH in the league. Perhaps he has qualities that I just cannot see.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Oakboy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm
FKAS wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm The Bath pack options are looking good for this one. Back line is obviously not as strong, odd choice to have Butt on the bench, is Harris injured? Thought the young lad would be the ideal utility option.

It's hard not to conclude that Skinner is the weakest player in that Exeter XV and the weakest FH in the league. Perhaps he has qualities that I just cannot see.
I can only assume he's a good leader on the team and follows the coaches instructions to the letter.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Coaches obviously like Skinner. Even when he's playing ineffectually he lasts about 70 minutes before getting subbed. Its a bit of a mystery.
I think this lad Wimbush has something. Always gets go forward, got a bit of pace and footwork, and his defence isnt the worst.
Interesting to see if Bailey can step up.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

I like Wimbush, hints of Rougerie in the way he carries.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Sandy park looking glorious.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

IFW does jump for that and has a realistic chance of catching it.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

FKAS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:48 pm IFW does jump for that and has a realistic chance of catching it.
Agreed.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Good decision Adam Leal. Common sense.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Exeter wiil stay uncompetitive till they get realistic presence at 9 and 10.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 pm Exeter wiil stay uncompetitive till they get realistic presence at 9 and 10.
The same could be said for Bath while Russell's injured. I'm baffled at Spencer getting PotM as I thought he was absolutely dire. At least 6 simple passes I spotted going to someone's ankles.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Well, I enjoyed that - cracking match; and a shout out to the ref, who had an excellent game.
I felt Spencer was trying too hard, didn't realise he got POTM. I wouldn't have, but certainly wouldn't describe him as having been dire - not sure anyone on the pitch yesterday was THAT bad.

Mind you, I'm not sure who I would have given POTM to, it was a real team performance rather than anything taken by the neck by any individual player. Would have been Slade had they not developed an (understandable) allergy to giving POTM to someone on the losing team.
Dunn and Roux brought the fight (maybe a little too much of it), Ewels and SuperTed were everywhere, Underhill an absolute rock, Barb's simply never gave up doing the hard work. The backs were all trying stuff and trying to play at tempo (which is where I felt Spencer was trying too hard, and making errors as he's just not used to that). Lawrence was quiet, but not lacking in effort, Mojo immense, Bailey assured. Coka annoyed Ashton by popping up all over the place and not sticking to his wing, and Muir had the better of IFW for the most part. The props were... erm... what do props do again? (I like it when I fail to notice the props - mostly because I don't understand the dark arts of the set pieces, so I only tend to notice them for screwing things up elsewhere - I did notice Stuart's chip through for Mojo though!)
I'd say that POTM should probably have gone to Lee Blackett if anyone; maybe Ewels if we had to pick a player (however unfashionable)
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Bath seem to have exeter's number of late. They are definitely further down the the development path as a team though .That said, exe always have positives when I see them play.

Feyi-Waboso's energy and commitment are quite infectious. I'm not sure if others will see the comparison but he reminds me of watching Son Heung-min playing football. It was telling that the officials spent the time talking that aerial incident back from a card because it was obvious he was going for the ball.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

twitchy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:07 am Bath seem to have exeter's number of late.
Apart from when Chiefs beat Bath in Europe a couple of weeks ago...

Chiefs have said this season is a transition season and they've definitely got some interesting talent coming through but Oakboy isn't wrong about their half backs being squad level as opposed to stand outs.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

My own little side issue was comparing Ojomoh (who others seem to rate) with Devoto (who rarely gets a mention these days). Having also watched Dingwall and Kelly earlier, I saw no reason to change my view that the best 12 from both matches was playing at 13 for Bath. The second best was playing at 13 for Exeter.

Having said that, Slade should be starting at 10. He would gel well with Devoto and Wimbush outside him. If funds are tight that solution might enable Exeter to concentrate on signing a quality SH.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Which Tyler wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:03 am Well, I enjoyed that - cracking match; and a shout out to the ref, who had an excellent game.
I felt Spencer was trying too hard, didn't realise he got POTM. I wouldn't have, but certainly wouldn't describe him as having been dire - not sure anyone on the pitch yesterday was THAT bad.

Mind you, I'm not sure who I would have given POTM to, it was a real team performance rather than anything taken by the neck by any individual player. Would have been Slade had they not developed an (understandable) allergy to giving POTM to someone on the losing team.
Dunn and Roux brought the fight (maybe a little too much of it), Ewels and SuperTed were everywhere, Underhill an absolute rock, Barb's simply never gave up doing the hard work. The backs were all trying stuff and trying to play at tempo (which is where I felt Spencer was trying too hard, and making errors as he's just not used to that). Lawrence was quiet, but not lacking in effort, Mojo immense, Bailey assured. Coka annoyed Ashton by popping up all over the place and not sticking to his wing, and Muir had the better of IFW for the most part. The props were... erm... what do props do again? (I like it when I fail to notice the props - mostly because I don't understand the dark arts of the set pieces, so I only tend to notice them for screwing things up elsewhere - I did notice Stuart's chip through for Mojo though!)
I'd say that POTM should probably have gone to Lee Blackett if anyone; maybe Ewels if we had to pick a player (however unfashionable)
Indeed. I didn’t see yesterday’s game but his break and offload for Spencer’s try were very nice.

It’s definitely not a popular opinion, but he’s been very good since his return. To your point, his work rate/effectiveness have been stand out IMO.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Ewels has often been a solid but uninspiring option. Runs the lineout, leader of the team. He's not a bad player but at international level you need a bit more. Club level, very useful player to have. Now the Bath pack has more physicality and a bigger focus on the set piece he is looking better, the recovery stint from injury seems to have helped him. He was good yesterday, I think being paired with Roux or du Plessis who are brutes definitely helps him.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:26 amIt’s definitely not a popular opinion, but he’s been very good since his return. To your point, his work rate/effectiveness have been stand out IMO.
His (near) year out with injury, and sabbatical in South Africa seem to have done him the world of good.
He's developed into the player we hoped he would 7-8 years ago.
FKAS wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 amHe was good yesterday, I think being paired with Roux or du Plessis who are brutes definitely helps him.
Charlie Ewels is simply a better rugby player than he was 4 years ago - and it's not due to who he's being paired with.
Ewels alongside Stooke, and behind Obano, Dunn & Stuart in 2023-4 is much better than Ewels was in 2019-20, when he was playing alongside... erm... Stooke, and behind Obano, Dunn & Stuart.
He is by far the biggest improver of those 5.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Ewels has been outstanding this season. He should tour with England in the summer. A few others from yesterday should go too.
Exe badly need a bit of quality at HB. They're not helped by the best SH being injured but you do wonder what Haydon-Wood has to do to get a start.
They could with Wyatt at FB. Hodge was utterly awful yesterday.
A pat on the back for the officials and the comms team. Enjoyed Flats and Ashy.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

It is to be hoped that Ewels really has now made the step up to being international quality, otherwise there are some questions about why the whole concept of coaching, and the impact of the fabled lists of "work ons", doesn't work for English players.
Puja

Post by Puja »

16th man wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:16 pm It is to be hoped that Ewels really has now made the step up to being international quality, otherwise there are some questions about why the whole concept of coaching, and the impact of the fabled lists of "work ons", doesn't work for English players.
Ewels is desperately underrated in general - he's always been a much better player than we've given him credit for (not helped by being religiously picked for EPS squads at one point despite being terribly out of form). He does look a lot better after his recovery and South African adventure though. I wouldn't have him above Itoje/Chessum/Martin and, while they're very different players, I'd probably pick Coles over him too, but he's an excellent fifth choice who would probably make the Scotland XXIII on current form.

Puja
Backist Monk