Leinster v Saints

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Leinster v Saints

Post by FKAS »

Saints just need to calm it down a bit. Play a bit of territory, take the sting out of the Leinster defence a bit then switch back to the attacking game.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

I'm amazed we're only 15 points down after 30 mins of playing like this. Awful. Don't think we've had a phase we haven't knocked on.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

First half an hour was poor but they've been better the last 7ish mins. If they can get some points before half time tails will be up.

They've just butchered one there.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Oh it's Furbank with the gash pass, that's a collectors item from him.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Well that was total shit. Hopefully the coaches can calm them down over half time.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Massively forward pass on the right hand side in the lead up to that try
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oof. Just saw the score. Saints as low effort as Banquo’s match threads or simply outclassed?
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:01 pm Oof. Just saw the score. Saints as low effort as Banquo’s match threads or simply outclassed?
Making huge numbers of handling errors and not really playing our game. Just scored though so hopefully give us some confidence into the last 20.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

3 points in it, 5 mins left!
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

I thought Fin Smith might have dropped into the pocket and looked to tie the game up then.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

A few clear infringements in the last few minutes there completely ignored.

That said, we were dire for the first hour of that match. We needed to play our best game of the season and played one of our worst. Can't believe it ended up a 3 point match.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Ref was the on the wrong side of the breakdown at the end, needed his AR to help him out there, should have been a pen to Saints.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

FKAS wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:27 pm Ref was the on the wrong side of the breakdown at the end, needed his AR to help him out there, should have been a pen to Saints.
Huge forward pass from larmour for the 3rd try also
Puja

Post by Puja »

Can't really say Saints deserved to win it, given their opening 30 minutes (and Leinster's as well, tbf), but they really did get the rough end of the ref in that second half.

Great effort, but they just left themselves too much to do at the end. A lot of those young Saints players will be much better for the experience of today.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Wow. Glanced at the score once and looked like a trouncing. Seemed like they really turned it around.

Let me know if anyone wants more expert analysis.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Terrible 1st half from Saints killed them. Excellent dog in second half, but execution was poor all game.

Leinster are class tbf.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:01 pm Wow. Glanced at the score once and looked like a trouncing. Seemed like they really turned it around.

The irony 😂
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:46 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:01 pm Wow. Glanced at the score once and looked like a trouncing. Seemed like they really turned it around.

The irony 😂
Yeah, after all my bitching I couldn’t even watch the game.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

How the Hell did Saints make soooo many mistakes and yet be within 3 at the end? It’s not like Leinster were rubbish, they looked simply in control at all times. Remarkable scoreline and Saints could easily have won it, bizarre. The scrum pen on 57 mins under Leinster’s posts was utter gash btw, comically so.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Beasties wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:35 pm How the Hell did Saints make soooo many mistakes and yet be within 3 at the end? It’s not like Leinster were rubbish, they looked simply in control at all times. Remarkable scoreline and Saints could easily have won it, bizarre. The scrum pen on 57 mins under Leinster’s posts was utter gash btw, comically so.
I don't actually know if Leinster are as good as they seem sometimes. They struggled to put Leicester away in the last 16, and again today failed to make the most of a very, very nervous Northampton. You feel that they could get utterly pumped if Toulouse meet them in the final.

Puja
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

Puja wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:12 am
Beasties wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:35 pm How the Hell did Saints make soooo many mistakes and yet be within 3 at the end? It’s not like Leinster were rubbish, they looked simply in control at all times. Remarkable scoreline and Saints could easily have won it, bizarre. The scrum pen on 57 mins under Leinster’s posts was utter gash btw, comically so.
I don't actually know if Leinster are as good as they seem sometimes. They struggled to put Leicester away in the last 16, and again today failed to make the most of a very, very nervous Northampton. You feel that they could get utterly pumped if Toulouse meet them in the final.

Puja
How dare you, Quins are going to absolutely Quins those amateurs* tomorrow

*Literal Galaxy team. Theyll be too full of that croissant cookie thing I've heard about to be a threat though. Quins by 21 until 62mins and to lose by 89
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Puja wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:12 am

Puja
Leinster really need a good fly half with some attacking verve, gas and skills. Ross Byrne is turgid and can't get anything like full potential out of those backs. He's the weak spot of the team.Thank gawd for Gibson-Park - they would be rudderless without him.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

The subs from Leinster seemed to offer nothing in terms of impact which was a surprise as there was some good players there and a factor of Leinster's success has been the ridiculous squad depth. Saints certainly grew in confidence, the 3 points before halftime and the pressure they kept Leinster under for those 10 mins definitely seemed to lift them.

I'd agree with Spiffy, Ross Byrne is a competent flyhalf but he's not a great one. I presume wonder boy Pendergast will overtake him in the next season or two if his brother doesn't before that.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

I thought Lawes and Augustus were superb. Their competitive edge kept Saints in touch. If they had been able to field a top quality 7, I think they would have won. Nerves and mistakes affected the backs' handling and, once or twice, their defence. Good effort overall.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

FKAS wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:38 am The subs from Leinster seemed to offer nothing in terms of impact which was a surprise as there was some good players there and a factor of Leinster's success has been the ridiculous squad depth. Saints certainly grew in confidence, the 3 points before halftime and the pressure they kept Leinster under for those 10 mins definitely seemed to lift them.

I'd agree with Spiffy, Ross Byrne is a competent flyhalf but he's not a great one. I presume wonder boy Pendergast will overtake him in the next season or two if his brother doesn't before that.
Jury is out on prendergast for the time being