The I'll Start a Munster Thread Before ... Thread

SerjeantWildgoose

Re: The I'll Start a Munster Thread Before ... Thread

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

The fecker has been caught using the contents of my bag to top up my prized bottle of 30 year old Glenhairyballix. Trouble is, I’ve been sipping away at it since New Year but apparently he’s been topping it up since St Stephen’s day!
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Can I just congratulate the ground staff at Rodders. They have taken my nostalgia for the halcyon days of the amateur game and given it life.
Idle Feck
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

ahh yes back when being covered in shite was a boon as it kept the cold out

SerjeantWildgoose

Ah Jimminy, that’s grand so ‘tis. Great to see Keith having a good day out.
Idle Feck
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

A real smash and grab performance. We were clinical enough to take 2 out of the 3 chances we created but if we concede that much ball to Saracens they'll just roll right over us, barely a speed bump
SerjeantWildgoose

I always look forward to the unbridled positivism you bring to the thread, ye miserable ballix.

You are Neil Francis and I claim my 250 yoyos
Idle Feck
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Admit it Pollyanna, if it wasn't for me you'd be riding a unicorn shitting rainbows
SerjeantWildgoose

This is bloody awful news.

Ronan O'Mahony Fortced to Retire
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Getting my spot behind the sofa.

GWAN MUNSTER
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Shyte. Another notch on the shitty end of the bed.
Idle Feck
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Munster are not far off from being a top team. They have some great individual players who are just not quite gelling as a group. A few key changes could make a lot of difference. Haley is not quite up to it at FB (but Conway is). The team needs a clever and pacy footballer at 12 to get some attacking shape out of the backs. The back row is starting to look a tad tired and one paced, especially in the ground hog/link-man department. Murray has been far off his best form (injury?) but hopefully he will regain his zip. Carbery has to stay fit, and a seemingly rejuvinated JJ has to be more involved. A few tweaks and Bob's yer uncle.
Munster were about as good as Ulster this season - both in the quarter finals in Europe and the semis in the league.
Want to see both provinces (and Connacht) improve next year and knock the Laydeeboys off their perch.
SerjeantWildgoose

This time last year I was saying we were a quality stand off away from being a team capable of breaking through our apparent glass ceiling. Despite Joey coming in and JJ's cracking form in the second half of the season, we are still struggling to find a way through, round or over any remotely capable and determined defence.

I think now that our principal problem is not playing staff. As you point out, Bro, there is some real talent in the backs (Farrell, Conway, Earls would grace any top-flight side) and I think that Rory Scannell is the clever and pacy footballer at 12, with Tyler Blyendal also suiting that role. I agree with you about Mike Haley and while there have been odd flashes of brilliance, I do not think he is either dependable enough in defence or inventive enough in attack. However, I think that he might yet come good and I don't see the need to go looking for more playing staff. I disagree about the back row, though the experiment with CJ at 7 was never going to work. However with JOD, TOD, Conor Oliver and Chris Cloetee to choose from, there is no shortage of pace and punch in a back row that should be anchored on POM and CJ with Botha on the bench. Tadhg and Kleyn offer one of the best lock pairings in the Pro14 and both DOS and Fineen have been excellent this season. No real problems in the front row and I am happy with our pack.

What we really need is a coaching ticket that is capable of getting more out of what is a pretty decent squad. We have really struggled with the coaching team since Declan stepped up to the national side. Penney tried to change everything and the baby went out with the bath water. Axel, one of the acutest rugby brains in his playing years, never quite achieved the same heights as a coach and then in came Rassie only to take us to the verge of success before dropping us. I have a lot of time for JvG and would like to see him have a couple of seasons with his own coaching ticket. great Munster servants though they have been (And might well be again) I don't think Fla and (particularly) Felix were of the exceptional standard needed to take us beyond a last four finish.

Bill Johnson coming up to Ravenhill will add some real punch to your squad.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Ouch! That is some draw. Interesting that our grass pitch may now prove a unique advantage during the group stages. We'll need to use Independent Park a bit more in the preparations and water the feck out of the TP pitch when the fancy-Dans come to town.
Idle Feck
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

Stephen Larkham is in town.
SerjeantWildgoose

Is he shopping or just on the lash?

Lots riding on him and the Fruit Pastille.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Not a particularly hospitable welcome for Declan last night in Cork. Great debut for Jack O'Sullivan who came on for the second half and scored a cracking try with pretty well his first touch (Lovely dummy thrown in to boot). Good to see Jimmy Cronin getting a run; here's hoping he has an injury-free season. Tyler and JJ had a half apiece and ran things well, though it speaks volumes that we were able to pretty well put a new team on at the half, with both halves having a good mix of seasoned old hands and new blood.

I have to say that I recognised barely a handful of the London Irish team. I'm sure my recent neighbour JvdM was sweating over the prospect of my hammering his door at 3 in the morning as I was want to do on my way home on those rare occasions recently when Munster managed a win at Ravenhill.
Idle Feck
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

i see Paddy Butler got a run out.. i wonder will they offer him a contract. i hope so.
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Rory Scannell, Tyler Bleyendaal, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Nick McCarthy; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Fineen Wycherley, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, Tommy O’Donnell, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Keynan Knox, Darren O’Shea, Chris Cloete, Alby Mathewson, Liam Coombes, Jack O’Sullivan.
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

Not a fan of Tyler at 12. Not a fan of him at 10 either. Rory should be 12. He looks like he's had an unbelievable preseason. Be interesting to see Knox off the bench. No need for 6 bench forwards.
SerjeantWildgoose

Despite having made a meal of last weekend, tonight is the first real test of the season. Cheetahs are unbeaten in the Currie Cup and have handed (admittedly depleted) Ulster and Glasgow their arses on a plate in the opening rounds.

Great to see Billy getting his first start of the season and here’s wondering if young Shane can make it 3 MOTMs on the trot.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Right! Now that the Japanese distractions are out of the way can we get down to sorting out the real business of the R*gby calendar?

Hair-sprays are in town and JOS gets a start against meaningful opposition. Time to see the investment in our new coaching team paying early dividends.
Idle Feck
SerjeantWildgoose

Rassie, Jacques, FELIX!!!! Brilliant stuff from the boys. What a mighty thing.
Idle Feck
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Yes to snyman

No to saracens
SerjeantWildgoose

We are rapidly becoming the third South African side in the Pro 14.

I agree to your Níl to Saracens, but add a Níl to Snyman and de Allende.
Idle Feck
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

I like snyman but would offload the other saffer lock in a heartbeat