Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:51 am Ben White apparently on his way to Toulon after the World Cup.
Haven't seen anything on the length of contract other than joining them "for the 23/24 season". Given the point at which LI went bust it is a nice opportunity in a good league.

Will obviously be behind Serin, but there are far worse places he could have ended up and he'll have to rise to the challenge of training with a better 9 every day.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Neil McIlroy, a former Scottish rugby union player (for wich club, I don't know), has been appointed Sporting Director of Montpellier in the Top14 and will work alongside Richard Cockerill.

I've read that he had spent 18/19 years with Clermont in a variety of posts finishing as Sporting Director until some réorganisation a couple of years ago which resulted in his contract not being renewed, and he then joined Les Dragons Catalans rugby League side as, you've guessed it, Sporting Director.

His move to Montpellier may result in the removal of Philippe Saint André, whose position is in jeopardy following a significant fall in form of Montpellier last season from being Champions the season before.

Can anyone shed any light on his background in Scottish rugby?
Last edited by francoisfou on Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey

Post by monkey »

francoisfou wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:41 pm Neil McIlroy, a former Scottish rugby union player (for wich club, I don't know), has been appointed Sporting Director of Montpellier in the Top14 and will work alongside Richard Cockerill.

I've read that he had spent 18/19 years with Clermont in a variety of posts finishing as Sporting Director until some reorganiastion a couple of years ago which resulted in his contract not being renewed, and he then joined Les Dragons Catalans rugby League side as, you've guessed it, Sporting Director.

His move to Montpellier may result in the removal of Philippe Saint André, whose position is in jeopardy following a significant fall in form of Montpellier last season from being Champions the season before.

Can anyone shed any light on his background in Scottish rugby?
He was a front row forward (prop?) who played for Jed-Forrest and then had a coupe of seasons with Border Reivers when the game first went pro. He was one of the guys who lost out when the Borders side was scrapped as the SRU cut our number of professional sides. I think (but might be wrong) he then played in France for a bit and ended up as part of the Beziers back room staff. Then (as you say) went to Clermont.

Before he went to France he tried to join the police force but was turned down because of his injury history. I just remember that weird fact being reported in the Scottish press when he joined Clermont!

I didn’t think he was at Clermont as long as 18 years or so though. Thought it was about ten (still a good stint tho!).
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Sam Johnson is at centre for Brive in this evening’s ProD2 match at home to Béziers.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

English prem gets underway tomorrow. Henderson starts for Leicester whilst Bradbury does for Bristol.

Big season for the former to nail down a shirt with all of the seeming talent coming through in his position. But Bristol has worked out well for Bradbury it seems.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Redpath starting and Russell benching for Bath.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Big D wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:09 pm Redpath starting and Russell benching for Bath.
Bayliss still injured from Scotland duty.
McConnochie simply not selected.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

the demise of Jersey left a few Scots unemployed

However a few have picked up a deal, albeit none both FT pay or long term

Grahamslaw (ex U20 and Edin Acad prop) as injury cover to Bristol Bears. Hope he gets some decent game time.
Lewis Wynne (ex U20s and Glasgow back row) to Stirling Wolves n S6. Will be stand out for Stirling I think, not the biggest but very good player

Wolves have also re-signed Euan Cunningham (ex U20s) after his sojourn to play in Aus. There were high hopes for him and at 21 still not too late
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:39 pm the demise of Jersey left a few Scots unemployed

However a few have picked up a deal, albeit none both FT pay or long term

Grahamslaw (ex U20 and Edin Acad prop) as injury cover to Bristol Bears. Hope he gets some decent game time.
Lewis Wynne (ex U20s and Glasgow back row) to Stirling Wolves n S6. Will be stand out for Stirling I think, not the biggest but very good player

Wolves have also re-signed Euan Cunningham (ex U20s) after his sojourn to play in Aus. There were high hopes for him and at 21 still not too late
Good to see them pick up something.

The fall out of teams going bust is still being felt as Sutherland still not got a team yet after getting the short term deal at Ulster last season.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Rory Sutherland will play for Top 14 Oyonnax for the season 2023/24
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:35 pm Rory Sutherland will play for Top 14 Oyonnax for the season 2023/24
Great news. Scotland still need him in their squad and he’s too good a player not to have a club.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Must be a a relief to pick up a club. Will be a tough old season but after Worcester went pop it is good he hasn't really had to go without a job at any point.

Three Scots in that squad as he joins 24 year old second row Ewan Johnson and the somehow only 31 year old Luke Hamilton.

Ewan Johnson has done well to work a move from ProD2 to the Top 14 even if with a newly promoted club.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Decent side of Scots playing this weekend, and conveniently split across a starting 15.

McCallum seems to be first choice, albeit for Newcastle. Neither Sebastian nor Walker has convinced yet as Faegersins backup, so there might be an opportunity there, though maybe I'm just still holding out hope there. Second start in a row for Henderson too, though both Chessum and Martin are with England.

Grahamslaw
Smith
McCallum/Millar-Mills
Henderson
CHH
McDonald
Christie
Bradbury
Chapman/Warr
Russell/Smith (faint hope)
McConnachie
Redpath/Hutchinson
Harris
Roebuck
Maitland
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Worth noting - Redpath's starting at 13 today, with a big boy in between himself and Finn
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

4 minutes in, and a try apiece for Finn Russell.

Telegraphs the chip in midfield to creat a chrlsrge down and try for Saracens' 7.
Then an excellent half-break and chicken-wing offload to create a try for Bath 15.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

First clip in these highlights is very nice from Russell - cancels the scrum move then puts in a pinpoint crossfield kick for the try. Apparently the scrum came from his grabber and follow up tackle too.

Don't know how he played otherwise, or how Redpath or Bayliss got on.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Cameo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:21 am First clip in these highlights is very nice from Russell - cancels the scrum move then puts in a pinpoint crossfield kick for the try. Apparently the scrum came from his grabber and follow up tackle too.

Don't know how he played otherwise, or how Redpath or Bayliss got on.
Wasn't much of a game otherwise - absolutely ridiculous conditions to play rugby in and that was the one real moment of quality.

Puja
Backist Monk
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/21/inf ... 594301.php

According to this article from MidiOlympique, Toulouse are about to sign Blair Kinghorn with more or less immediate effect, with a two-year contract minimum.
Kinghorn will be a replacement for Melvyn Jaminet, who's on his way to Toulon.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 pm https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/21/inf ... 594301.php

According to this article from MidiOlympique, Toulouse are about to sign Blair Kinghorn with more or less immediate effect, with a two-year contract minimum.
will be like Chris Paterson. Struggle to get a game and home with his tail between his legs withing 2 seasons
Big D

Post by Big D »

Terrific move for him. A top team and some fabulous players (although I think some in their back three are overrated). Fair play to him for taking the risk. One of Scotland's highest earning players so imagine he'll be making a good salary.

Tough for Edinburgh's hopes this season, but the bean counters and SRU must stick to budget and Duhan last year and Price this year would be unbudgeted pick ups at high cost so offloading a high earner and maybe picking up a fee (not sure if there will be one) probably had to be done if the scenario presented itself.

Going forward, having 5 high earners in the back three is probably a luxury that should be avoided. No reason not to bring more youngsters through there.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:50 am
francoisfou wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 pm https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/21/inf ... 594301.php

will be like Chris Paterson. Struggle to get a game and home with his tail between his legs withing 2 seasons
I guess one of them is covering Ntamack while he’s injured, but beyond that it’s hard to disagree. Maybe he’ll jump around covering wing as well. Maybe he’ll force himself in which would be incredible, but I think Jaminet moved there with the same intention and didn’t manage it.

Good for him for challenging himself I guess. I’m surprised there weren’t options in need of a starting fullback though.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:56 am

I guess one of them is covering Ntamack while he’s injured, but beyond that it’s hard to disagree. Maybe he’ll jump around covering wing as well. Maybe he’ll force himself in which would be incredible, but I think Jaminet moved there with the same intention and didn’t manage it.

Good for him for challenging himself I guess. I’m surprised there weren’t options in need of a starting fullback though.
Today's Rugbyrama article is saying he's an excellent signing to cover several positions:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/22/tra ... 595520.php

No,Jaminet didn't make his mark at Toulouse, with injuries not helping, along with a dominant Ramos who he was unable to displace.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:26 am

Today's Rugbyrama article is saying he's an excellent signing to cover several positions:

No,Jaminet didn't make his mark at Toulouse, with injuries not helping, along with a dominant Ramos who he was unable to displace.
Before he moved to Toulouse, Jaminet had displace Ramos in the French team - as a ProD2 player IIRC.
IMHO Ramos had been to that point a very hot and cold player, capable of good stuff but erratic in both open play and goal kicking. The arrival of Jaminet and Capuozzo seemed ot give him the proverbial kick up the arse and he became an excellent and consistent player, with metronomic goal kick to match Jaminet (was his biggest selling point!)
I can't see Kinghorn displacing Ramos, when Ntmack back he won't displace him either. As a starter he will be looking at a wing spot. Competing with Capuozzo and others. He'll be home soon enough
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:09 pm

Before he moved to Toulouse, Jaminet had displace Ramos in the French team - as a ProD2 player IIRC.
IMHO Ramos had been to that point a very hot and cold player, capable of good stuff but erratic in both open play and goal kicking. The arrival of Jaminet and Capuozzo seemed ot give him the proverbial kick up the arse and he became an excellent and consistent player, with metronomic goal kick to match Jaminet (was his biggest selling point!)
I can't see Kinghorn displacing Ramos, when Ntmack back he won't displace him either. As a starter he will be looking at a wing spot. Competing with Capuozzo and others. He'll be home soon enough
Very negative. If he does displace one of them, or even just nail down a spot as part of a regular rotation, then it's only a positive for him and Scotland. The self-belief and ambition should be applauded.

He's quite similar to Ramos in many ways - ability to create with ball in hand and ability to pin teams back with the boot. Capuozzo seems to offer something different.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:09 pm

He might be, or he might move on to a different club in France or England but it is refreshing to see another Scot take a chance to experience a different environment and experience at a high quality team. We have seen a few Scots leave and enjoy good pay days at middle of the road or low end teams rather than really challenge themselves (also while getting paid very well).

He's only 26 too so a couple of years in a different environment can still have long term positives on his career.
Last edited by Big D on Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.