Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

francoisfou

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by francoisfou »

Big D wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:32 pm
septic 9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:09 pm
francoisfou wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:26 am

Today's Rugbyrama article is saying he's an excellent signing to cover several positions:

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/22/tra ... 595520.php

No,Jaminet didn't make his mark at Toulouse, with injuries not helping, along with a dominant Ramos who he was unable to displace.
Before he moved to Toulouse, Jaminet had displace Ramos in the French team - as a ProD2 player IIRC.
IMHO Ramos had been to that point a very hot and cold player, capable of good stuff but erratic in both open play and goal kicking. The arrival of Jaminet and Capuozzo seemed ot give him the proverbial kick up the arse and he became an excellent and consistent player, with metronomic goal kick to match Jaminet (was his biggest selling point!)
I can't see Kinghorn displacing Ramos, when Ntmack back he won't displace him either. As a starter he will be looking at a wing spot. Competing with Capuozzo and others. He'll be home soon enough
He might be, or he might move on to a different club in France or England but it is refreshing to see another Scot take a chance to experience a different environment and experience at a high quality team. We have seen a few Scots leave and enjoy good pay days at middle or the road or low end teams rather than really challenge themselves (also while getting paid very well).

He's only 26 too so a couple of years in a different environment can still have long term positives on his career.
As a Toulouse supporter, I am pleased with this signing and think Kinghorn could be an important member of the playing squad. Ntamack won’t be back for a while and the club are thin on the ground at fly half so Kinghorn could find himself getting regular game time and the chance to shine and become a valuable member of the squad.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I am quite up for this. I don't generally buy the assumption that players will improve as soon as they move abroad, but think Kinghorn could. He's a funny player who can look great but can drift. A bit of broader experience might help.

I also think he'll probably get a decent amount of gametime via his versatility if nothing else.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Kinghorn has begun training and could be considered for a place on the bench for this weekend’s home match against Cardiff, as Toulouse are a bit short on fly halves at the moment. Ramos played at 10, and not so well from what I’ve read, in an ignominious defeat away to Stade Français.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:49 pm Kinghorn has begun training and could be considered for a place on the bench for this weekend’s home match against Cardiff, as Toulouse are a bit short on fly halves at the moment. Ramos played at 10, and not so well from what I’ve read, in an ignominious defeat away to Stade Français.
Ramos did not play well. He looked like the random player he was before concentrating on FB with serious competition (from Jaminet and Capuozo. Even affected his goal kicking. He isn't a natural 10. He is a decent option late in a game who thus allows a different bench mix. Very much like Kinghorn
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Kinghorn's been selected at 15 for Toulouse's match at home to Cardiff.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Try for you know who !!
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

francoisfou wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:44 pm Try for you know who !!
And another one right at the end.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Finn and Cam looking very good again today.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Cameron Henderson is out for the season, again. He's had sod all luck and is rubbish because I wanted to see what he can do.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

:ugeek:
switchskier wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 pm Cameron Henderson is out for the season, again. He's had sod all luck and is rubbish because I wanted to see what he can do.
That’s really shitty news. Especially after how long he was out the last year. I’d just started to see what all the fuss was about.
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 pm Cameron Henderson is out for the season, again. He's had sod all luck and is rubbish because I wanted to see what he can do.
That is rotten luck.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Jonny Gray apparently off to Bordeaux next season.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameron Anderson started for Quins today. Ex u20 cap.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Kinghorn Interview on Le French Rugby Podcast.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Gregor spotted in the crowd at Bath
A] Chatting to Andy Robinson
B] Watching Russell and Hastings go head to head
C] Watching Redpath and Harris (though not directly against each other)
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hastings with a brutal killer of a mistake.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Rufus McLean on his way to being NSQ picked up by American Raptors.

He has a right to a career but glad it isn't on the SRU payroll.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Pretty soon we're going to be able to take Fin Smith and Tom Roebuck off this thread as they're both in the England squad. Smith in particular looks very good - Roebuck I can see getting three caps and then being discarded for the next shiny thing in English rugby.

No Warr though, in either squad.
Adder

Post by Adder »

New BK interview on Ryan Wilson podcast:
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

No Kinghorn for Toulouse this weekend. Ben White has signed a new contract till 2026 with Toulon. Team for their match in Sunday not announced yet.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Ben White playing for Toulon in a late match on Sunday night. Not ideal preparation for the Calcutta Cup on Saturday afternoon.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Ben White came through unscathed and had a decent 67 minutes. Nakarawa incidentally looking very fit and almost like he'd turned back the clock 10 years.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Good to hear.

Off topic slightly, but thinking about scrum-half backup. Is Price fit or just surplus to requirements at the moment?

Lions test starter then getting shipped off to Edinburgh to duke it out with Ben Vellacott still seems odd to me. Has Dobie jumped ahead?
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

The Price 'loan' situation is a bit odd, however he seems to be first choice at Edinburgh. I don't know if we will see him back at Glasgow with them having Horne, Dobie, Ashfar and Kennedy (not sure how much longer he has). Smith seems keen on adaptability and likes having a second scrum half on the pitch to keep the tempo up - this is probably moreso when the first choice players are away and the squad is a bit thin. Both Ashfar and Dobie looked sharp though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Price move abroad if he isn't getting a look in with Scotland.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Edinburgh Rugby today secured the signing of promising 20-year-old Leicester Tigers lock Rob Carmichael on a three-year deal.

The 6ft 11in second-row arrived in the capital today on an initial loan until the end of the season, before the long-term move becomes permanent this summer.

Carmichael was born and raised in Hong Kong after his Scottish father, and English/Welsh mother, emigrated to Asia just under 30 years ago. He came through the ranks at Sandy Bay RFC before the family returned to the UK in 2019.

That year he joined the Tigers academy, making two Premiership Cup appearances alongside representing England U20, remaining eligible for Scotland by ancestry.

On joining Edinburgh Rugby, Carmichael said: “This is a massive move for me and an incredible opportunity I’ve been given. I’m delighted to join and I’m really glad I’ve been able to make the move to Edinburgh early on loan. I’ve only heard great things about the club.

“I’ve wanted to live in Scotland my whole life so I’m glad I’m able to make the move now. Edinburgh is an incredible city, while my parents and whole extended family are really excited that I’ve joined a Scottish club.”