Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by Mikey Brown »

The image of a 6'11" ginger lad growing up in Hong Kong is pretty funny. Anyone seen him play?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Jocky wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:29 am Nakarawa incidentally looking very fit and almost like he'd turned back the clock 10 years.
didn't look as fit as he should, but fitter than the last few years certainly. And he played the full 80. Watching him get hands - sorry, a hand - beyond the tackle to offload brought back many happy memories
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Jocky wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:11 pm The Price 'loan' situation is a bit odd, however he seems to be first choice at Edinburgh. I don't know if we will see him back at Glasgow with them having Horne, Dobie, Ashfar and Kennedy (not sure how much longer he has). Smith seems keen on adaptability and likes having a second scrum half on the pitch to keep the tempo up - this is probably moreso when the first choice players are away and the squad is a bit thin. Both Ashfar and Dobie looked sharp though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Price move abroad if he isn't getting a look in with Scotland.
Price won't be back at Glasgow. Given the immediate scrum half injury crisis Glasgow had as soon as Price left, but was not recalled tells me that there must have been a fall out of some kind. Lets just say that if Smith was Edin head coach Dave Cherry would be out of a job. I'll leave that there
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:25 pm The image of a 6'11" ginger lad growing up in Hong Kong is pretty funny. Anyone seen him play?
Tallest currently playing professional rugby player, apparently. I've only seen him a couple of times and he looked solid without being spectacular - there's definitely potential there. Good luck to him - Leicester's going to be a hell of a place for a young second row to try and get game time with OChessum, Martin, LChessum, and Carnduff all come/coming through, so I hope he goes well for you.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Puja wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:09 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:25 pm The image of a 6'11" ginger lad growing up in Hong Kong is pretty funny. Anyone seen him play?
Tallest currently playing professional rugby player, apparently. I've only seen him a couple of times and he looked solid without being spectacular - there's definitely potential there. Good luck to him - Leicester's going to be a hell of a place for a young second row to try and get game time with OChessum, Martin, LChessum, and Carnduff all come/coming through, so I hope he goes well for you.

Puja
Plus Henderson when fit. Who still has potential despite injuries.

He's an interesting one. According to rugby youtuber "Squidge Rugby", or one half of the account, he has genuinely always supported Scotland over England. If he is successful it will be called a poach but the reality is for any England based SQ players, staying available to England through age grade rugby is the sensible business move.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Big week for Clarke Laidlaw. First game as head coach of the Hurricanes. No idea of his long term plans but a couple of good years would make him very attractive to the SRU.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Wasn’t particularly aware of Laidlaw before but that’s promising news.

It’s a bit of a stretch but thought it’s interesting Dan McFarland is stepping down at Ulster. Was disappointed when he left, but doesn’t look like it’s ever really clicked for him.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 am Wasn’t particularly aware of Laidlaw before but that’s promising news.

It’s a bit of a stretch but thought it’s interesting Dan McFarland is stepping down at Ulster. Was disappointed when he left, but doesn’t look like it’s ever really clicked for him.
what is odd is that McFarland is an excellent forwards coach, but outside their maul Ulster's pack has been poor quality mince. TBH Ulster have been perennial underperformers, poisoned chalice of a job
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:14 am Big week for Clarke Laidlaw. First game as head coach of the Hurricanes. No idea of his long term plans but a couple of good years would make him very attractive to the SRU.
He's heavily embedded in the NZ system but relatively untested as a 15s coach. Pretty sure he started in the NPC and bar a year with London Irish under a kiwi coach he has continued through the coaching system via the 'Canes backroom staff, national 7s squad and now got a HC gig.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Laidlaw going well at the Hurricanes with a five game win unbeaten start to his tenure. The Crusaders unbelievably are on five straight losses!
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Jocky wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:49 am Laidlaw going well at the Hurricanes with a five game win unbeaten start to his tenure. The Crusaders unbelievably are on five straight losses!
Crusaders have a shit head coach. Started his last big gig with the same sequence. And lost the dressing room entirely at Munster IIRC. Sometimes just being a kiwi doesn't mean a good coach
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I hadn’t kept up with Mike Blair’s movements and just saw he’s an assistant at Kobe Steelers under Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith. It sounds like they’re going well in the league.

I won’t pretend I follow that league in the slightest but that’s a great pair of guys to be learning off of for a (still very young) Scottish coach. It was a real shame the way it went at Edinburgh, but hopefully he will have learned a lot and come back with a lot more experience.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:37 pm I hadn’t kept up with Mike Blair’s movements and just saw he’s an assistant at Kobe Steelers under Dave Rennie and Wayne Smith. It sounds like they’re going well in the league.

I won’t pretend I follow that league in the slightest but that’s a great pair of guys to be learning off of for a (still very young) Scottish coach. It was a real shame the way it went at Edinburgh, but hopefully he will have learned a lot and come back with a lot more experience.
Yeah, not clear he'll ever want to be ahead coach again but I had such high hopes so I hope he comes back and makes a contribution at some point.

On a separate note, I see some very good write ups for Russell's performance on the weekend. It included a left footed drop goal.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Andy Christie broke his arm at the weekend, out for c 3 months. Might make summer tour, but not expected to play again this season for Saracens
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:29 pm Andy Christie broke his arm at the weekend, out for c 3 months. Might make summer tour, but not expected to play again this season for Saracens
That's a real shame. He was excellent against Ireland. Hopefully nothing to problematic in the longer term for him.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

It's said that Blair Kinghorn has recovered from his hamstring injury and will be available for Toulouse against Racing on Sunday in the round of the last 16 of the Champions' Cup.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Fergus Burke moving from Crusaders to Saracens. I have read that he is scottish qualified but not sure if that is true. He is definitely English qualified so that might be his aim.

He has been injured all season (coming back now)but highly rated and was favourite to be starting ten and to have a chance to make the All Blacks squad this year. If he does want to play for Scotland, I suspect Townsend would be open to it.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:44 am Fergus Burke moving from Crusaders to Saracens. I have read that he is scottish qualified but not sure if that is true. He is definitely English qualified so that might be his aim.

He has been injured all season (coming back now)but highly rated and was favourite to be starting ten and to have a chance to make the All Blacks squad this year. If he does want to play for Scotland, I suspect Townsend would be open to it.
he was offered a deal at Glasgow a while back, Jan IIRC.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:48 am
Cameo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:44 am Fergus Burke moving from Crusaders to Saracens. I have read that he is scottish qualified but not sure if that is true. He is definitely English qualified so that might be his aim.

he was offered a deal at Glasgow a while back, Jan IIRC.
Interesting. If he turned that down and then moved to Sarries, that may suggest he is more interested in England.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Russell and Redpath both off injured for Bath vs Exeter. Both just hobbling. No specifics.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

23 points for the Blairhorn at 15 against Exeter.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Aye nailed all his kicks if I'm not mistaken. Must be a dream playing in that Toulouse side. Barring any shocks a final against Leinster is going to be a real humdinger.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jocky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:15 pm Aye nailed all his kicks if I'm not mistaken. Must be a dream playing in that Toulouse side. Barring any shocks a final against Leinster is going to be a real humdinger.
Blair Kinghorn in a World Cup final. Who would have thought it?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 pm
Jocky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:15 pm Aye nailed all his kicks if I'm not mistaken. Must be a dream playing in that Toulouse side. Barring any shocks a final against Leinster is going to be a real humdinger.
World Cup final - that really would be amazing. :lol:

Kinghorn certainly seems to have found his kicking boots in Toulouse. I think he was 6/6 including a long range penalty and a couple of tricky conversions from out wide. He was subbed for Ramos after about 60 minutes. I don’t know how they’ll fit both of them in the team now that Ntamack is also fit again. I hope Kinghorn isn’t the one who drops to the bench.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 am
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 pm
World Cup final - that really would be amazing. :lol:

Kinghorn certainly seems to have found his kicking boots in Toulouse. I think he was 6/6 including a long range penalty and a couple of tricky conversions from out wide. He was subbed for Ramos after about 60 minutes. I don’t know how they’ll fit both of them in the team now that Ntamack is also fit again. I hope Kinghorn isn’t the one who drops to the bench.
Kinghorn kicked off the tee really well. When he gets his technique right he is always a great kicker, but sadly he as often has poor technique. Maybe Toulouse have coached it better, we'll see if he can do it consistently
Overall he played well although his first couple of attempted kick return runs were ill judged IMHO - that is where Ramos is better, tactical kicking and knowing when to. Kinghorn gets marks for versatility (wing and full back and goal kicking), but he is up against more than just Ntmack and Ramos. Malia player wing (well) yesterday only because I think Capuozzo still injured. Big problem is Lebell who I don't think has always been consistent (quite erratic defensively) but is playing out of his skin this season