England's next coach

WaspInWales

England's next coach

Post by WaspInWales »

So, who do you want to get the job?

Who do think will get the job?

Personally, I'm very worried about the calls of ex-players like Shearer, Southgate and Neville. Some have coaching experience but it's hardly setting the world alight.

Then there's Hoddle who hasn't managed for donkey's years.

Allardyce, Pardew, Howe and Redknapp are being mooted as current English coaches who seem viable but again, none fill me with much optimism about the future.

I think we need to seriously think about getting a foreign coach in the job. Someone proven at international level.

Maybe someone who has coached at the Euros?

And no, not Hodgson again.
canta_brian

Re: England's next coach

Post by canta_brian »

Well allardyce is used to coaching shit players...
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

How about Brendan Rogers?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
cashead

Post by cashead »

belgarion wrote:How about Brendan Rogers?
Fuck, beaten like Celtic.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Allardyce is the bookie's favourite.

Given the list of names on the following Beeb article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36772900

I'm inclined to go with Klinsmann, Wenger or Howe.

Still think there will be other (better) alternatives if the FA look.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Has England ever had a young manager? If Howe took the job and the usual pattern occurred of easy qualification followed by abject failure, would he have ended his own management career?

I can't see a Chris Coleman type taking the job.

Hoddle was youngish and he has done little in management since. I know there are other circumstances in that one.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I hope the FA are just going through the motions by talking to Big Sam.

No international experience. No top level domestic success. No success in Europe. Pretty low win percentage at clubs he has managed.

Has a few manager of the month awards though!

Surely the FA can do better than that????

Shewerly?!?
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

WaspInWales wrote:I hope the FA are just going through the motions by talking to Big Sam.

No international experience. No top level domestic success. No success in Europe. Pretty low win percentage at clubs he has managed.

Has a few manager of the month awards though!

Surely the FA can do better than that????

Shewerly?!?
This is the English FA we're talking about. An organisation that proves managment by
commitee is worse than useless
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

belgarion wrote:This is the English FA we're talking about. An organisation that proves managment by
commitee is worse than useless
Aye. My optimism levels are low so I'm expecting the worse.

Big Sam will be happy though. Mediocre manager who feels hard done by not getting the job years ago when he 'deserved it more than anyone else'. Can finish his career on a multi-million pound a year contract and recall Defoe.

Oh and to make matters worse, the coaching behemoth that is Gary Neville is tipped as assistant coach so no doubt he will be replacing Sam after well fail to get out of the group in Russia!

I will be rather annoyed if the only people shortlisted and approached by the FA are Allardyce, Hoddle, Neville, Klinsmann and Southgate.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Doesn't show a lot of ambition does it? Or perhaps the FA are thinking that this is about the right level for where England are! For the money they will likely be paying Allardyce (if it is anything like Woy) then you would of thought it would be enough to tempt somebody better.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

bruce wrote:Doesn't show a lot of ambition does it? Or perhaps the FA are thinking that this is about the right level for where England are! For the money they will likely be paying Allardyce (if it is anything like Woy) then you would of thought it would be enough to tempt somebody better.
I don't think any amiunt of money would persuade any of the top, top managers to take the job
of managing a bunch of under-performing, over-hyped & overpayed prima donnas & working for
the totally incompetent FA due to the amouint of damage it would do to their reputations. Not forgetting
what the media would do at the first sign of problems.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

Perhaps the goalkeeper kicking it to his centre forward in the opposition box is a tactic that appeals to the FA old farts .
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

If the FA appoint Big Sam, that will be the last straw for me.

After all the talk about finding the right person, perhaps even taking months to consult people in order to narrow down the list, only to then appoint the first person to have formal talks is a piss take. More so as that person lacks international experience and has mediocre domestic experience with no success in the top flight.

May as well give the job to Shearer.

For c.£3.5m a year, you would think the FA wouldn't need to look very far for proven coaches.

I honestly think we have quite a few players with bags of potential but they need world class coaching to get the best from them at this level. They perform pretty well week in, week out in the premier league so they should be able to step up at international level. They just need the right person to play them where they work best and drum it in to their head what they should be doing. I just can't see Big Sam as that person. Granted he has done an 'ok' job with the tools he has had at times but I just can't imagine him bring glory to any team.

Still can't get over Neville being touted as an assistant!
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36783415

Here's what Allardyce has since said about the England job:

After missing out to McClaren:

"I should have got it and I really don't know why I didn't. It had to be political for me, rather than my credentials.

"Maybe my external look isn't to everybody's liking. It was the right time and the right job for me but not from the FA's point of view.

"It seems foreign coaches are still all the craze for the top jobs and that is a great shame. I also think that Steve not being successful was a massive blow for British or English managers, because it has put us down a peg or two."

From his autobiography:

"I wanted to do a real knock-your-socks-off interview for the FA, so I put together a PowerPoint which looked at every single detail.

"Nobody but nobody was going to beat it. But then Brian Barwick, the chief executive, told me there were no PowerPoint facilities at the interview venue, so I had to print off hard copies for the panel. So much for the progressive FA.

"I should have got it and, as I'm a better manager now than I was then, I believe I should be in the running whenever it comes round again. That's not vanity or being full of my own importance. My track record entitles me to be considered."

May 2016

Prior to Euro 2016:

"That's gone. For me to be interested in the England job, Roy would probably have to leave at the end of the Euros.

"And would England be interested in me? They say they are looking for an English manager, but will they do it? You've got this, 'what's sexier?' element now, rather than how good you are at doing the job."

Wow. The man is deluded. Loved the bit about the powerpoint presentation....he is the Burt of football managers.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36850753

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

What a load of bollocks.

WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I'm just about done with England football now.

bruce

Post by bruce »

WaspInWales wrote:I'm just about done with England football now.

Come and support your adopted country instead.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

bruce wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:I'm just about done with England football now.

Come and support your adopted country instead.
Not sure I'm ready for that. Another 15-20 years in Wales and I'll rethink that one.

For now, I'm putting my support behind Tonga, Ranked 209th in the world...the (joint) lowest ranked but they probably show more ambition than England.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Don't be too dishearted the appointment is just par of the course for England, looking back at England Managers over the years and you forget bar 1 or possibly 2 it is a long succession of mediocre.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Well one thing to be said for Allardyce is he does know how to make a team difficult to beat, looking at Portugals recent success that may not be such a bad thing.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

At this rate we could have Allardyce and Bruce running England.

Inspired.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Honestly, I don't think it's the worst appointment ever. Surely better than Roy...
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Stom wrote:Honestly, I don't think it's the worst appointment ever. Surely better than Roy...
Time will tell but I'm not expecting miracles. I am expecting a few 'surprise' call ups and a pragmatic approach and lots of talk about pride in the shirt.

Only got a couple of years before we can start looking for a proven coach at this level.

Until then, Go Tonga!